New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM? Any experiences
 Login/Join

Picture of Al Smith
posted
Hello all, I recently purchased a Rem SPS in 270 WSM. I wanted a gun that I didn't have to reload for (I have plenty that I'm loading for already) and I can use for deer hunting. So I bought some Federal ammo loaded with 140 gr Accubonds. After break in, it would only shoot 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Any suggestions on factory fodder that might shoot better for me? Or will I have to break down and reload for it?

Thanks for any input!

Al

Posts: 17 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Since you already load, why not add the WSM to the list?

I think you'd be happy with loading up so TSX bullets in that rifle. JMO.

I had one bad experience with the 140 AB in a regular 270, so I will probably not use them again. (in that caliber).

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Tikka T3 LS 270WSM. One is the wife's that shoots factory Winchester Supreme Accubond Ct's 140gr, and mine I reload withthe 140gr. Accubonds and TSX. Great caliber. Very impressed. About 1/2" minus group with factory loads and even tighter with reloads. These rifles are great. Knocking game down (wife got her mulie buck @ 440yrds. 1 shot-dropped dead, and cow elk @ 200yrds-1 shot in 2004). I took my cow elk last season with my 270WSM with same results, about 150yrds. I believed before that 300WM was the Ultimate caliber for hunting big game in Alberta, but the 270WSM has sure impressed me, especially on the elk!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al Smith, that is the worst accuracy I have heard of out of this caliber. I've got a ton of experience with the 270 WSM and they have all shot well, some unbelievably well, with factory ammo. I do reload for all of mine (4 of them) and get great accuracy.

The one rifle that I had that would only shoot about an honest 1.25" (which is OK in my book--but not great)I got to tinkering around with and I discovered the stock was very close to the barrel throughout the barrel channel. I started relieving it, and it took a whole lot of gap to get the thing really shooting. It got better and better as I removed material.

I read on another thread recently that it might take more than one would think to truly 'float' a barrel, and it was suggested that it might take a note card thickness or more---it took at least that much from reciever to end of fore-end to get this one to shoot--and now it's a for sure sub .5 moa with factory fodder!

To echo Doc's thoughts, though, this is a really easy cartridge to reload for......

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 270 WSM is a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow. I mounted a Ziess Concquest 4.5X14 scope on it and shot in the barrel with factory ammo that was a tad hot. My bolt lift was sticky each shot. I reloaded North Fork 130 grain bullets to 3455 fps with excellent accuracy with the average being 3400 fps and 150 grain North Forks to 3267 fps, also with excellent accuracy. I have shot Barnes 140 grain TSX that averages 3300 fps. My plinking load with accuracy is 140 grain Nosler Combined Tech Failsafe uncoated. I was lucky to find them on Midway for $5.99 per box and bought six boxs. I load 68 grains of RL-25 with a Fed 210M primer. ----- I shoot a lot of rifles from .22's up to .50 BMG and everything between those, in my opinion this .270 WSM is super for a lot of uses, from the bench to the field. A fun round to reload and many good bullets to play with. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Al Smith
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I think I'll check out the stock this week and make one more trip to the range this weekend with some other factory ammo that I bought. If it is still shooting like that, then I'll have to break down and reload for it.

Anyone have any pet loads that they would like to share?

Thanks for the input again!

Posts: 17 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a calm day my savage .270wsm can put 130grn BSTs in about a quarter. And anything i point them at including deer havent gone more than 20 30 yrds before killing over. Most are drop on spot hits.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al, this may be a little counterintuitive for a 'magnum' cartridge, but I have found 2 characteristics in loading to the short mags (both the 300 WSM and 300 Saum + the 270 WSM)and that is that they tend to shoot the best for me with powder charges near the bottom end of book charges, and seated farther off the lands. I have a few rifles that will let me seat into the lands and still have a COL that will function in the magazine, but those rifles also prefer COL's that get 50 thou or more OFF the lands.

In 270 WSM with the TSX's at 130 gr my rigs like 60.0 gr. of 4831sc w/ WLRM primer, I'm using Norma or Winchester brass. I really like that Norma stuff.

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote