Find
Notify
Tools

Utah Taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear Guy's
Looking for a good Taxidermist in Utah, saltlake city would be best.

To mount ELK and ship over sea's.

Must be able to send work to Australia.

Thanks Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you got one tied up and waiting????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to school with a guy who did Taxidermy. He won all kinds of awards with his mounts. I am not sure if he is still doing it or not though. I will look into seeing if he is still around and doing Taxidermy.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yuri Rulin is truly the greatest. He has done the mounts for my family for the past 20 years and has a pedigree of awards to wow anyone. He is Russian, speaks good English and is very accustomed to dealing with international shipping(I have never been in his studio when there weren't trophies from Africa, Asia, Europe, etc) He is fantastic, I can't say enough about him. Here is his contact info:
http://www.kgbhunting.com/contact.html
this is for his site for his Russian bear hunts but has his U.S. contact info.
his number is 801-255-4754

Posts: 254 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I'd go with Tory Brock in Kanab UT or Roundy Taxidermy In Glendale UT

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Dean Schulte of High Uintahs Taxidermy in Coalville, UT. (This is about 45 minutes east of SLC on the freeway). Fully half his business is devoted to international hunting, and he should have no problem with shipment. He has done some 20+ mounts for me and is highly recommended. You can find cheaper, but you won't get better work, and he is a professional taxidermist / businessman with a well staffed shop. None of the usual jerking around so common with the little one man shops.

www.highuintahstaxidermy.com

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will agree that Dean will do a fine job for you.

I disagree with the statement that "one man shops" jerk a guy around. I find that one man shops are either great or horrible and it doesn't take much to figure out the difference.

No need to head to Southern Utah for Travis or Tory. There are as good or better in the SLC area. Another guy to look into is Bruce Capes of Animal Art, located in Sandy, Utah.

Go with either Dean or Bruce and you should be fine.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of taxis in Utah but you will not find one better than Dean. His work is second to none and is much more professional than most.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MC,

Sorry if you took offense to my statement that some one man shops jerk a guy around. This was not a universal statement, but it is somewhat common, as many of these one man operations are less established. Not all, but certainly some. It may be as simple as "flexible" pricing, making promises they can't keep, or not documenting payments carefully. It is very hard for one person to be the taxidermy artist, bookkeeper, scheduler, etc, and do it all well.

I have had Bruce Capes do a few mounts for me as well. They are reasonable quality, and I was pleased. Although not intended to bash Bruce, he has never met a delivery deadline yet with my work. Not the end of the world, and as stated I feel he does good work, but he is not in the same class as Dean Schulte. Especially with shipments overseas, he would not be my choice.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I took no offense, just disagree. Some of the larger shops are just that, larger. You get a guy mounting your animals while the Name on the shop is out hunting or in Vegas. Been there with larger shops.

I have heard Bruce was passing deadlines, so you make a valid point. Cross him off the list.

So we can agree that Dean would do a fine job and be capable of shipping the mount to Australia.

Hope you drew a tag or two this year.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote