New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 & grand slams
 Login/Join

<razorback>
posted
I was just wandering if anyone has used these for deer. i am also wandering why the loading manual has max. vel. at like 2840 and the factory ammo is 2950. anyone with loads faster. what do you guys think of the grand slam in the 243.

<GoWyo!>
posted
Howdy Razorback, These are the most accurate 100 gr. bullets out of my 788 6mm. I don't think they get the press that they deserve as a premium bullet. So, for us that like them it is a boon as they are still reasonably priced. I believe that they do as good a job as any bullet out there on deer. I say shoot with confidence. As for factory published velocities, your mileage will definitely vary as most facories use universal receivers and longer Bbls. Don't fret over that 110 fps, get a chrony, load up good accurate loads, then try to eek out a little more velocity if you must. Good luck, Gary.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Razor, I haven't any experience with these bullets in any of the 243's I've owned, so let me preface my remarks by saying that.

However, I did read a piece by John Barsness stating that a friend of his used the 100 gr. Slam's exclusively in his 243 because they seemed to kill deer-sized game better than anything else including Nosler Partitions. John B. and his friend attribute this to the fact that the Grand Slam opens up to a bigger frontal area than the Noslers (and others) while still penetrating adequately. He felt this helped create a better wound channel in the little 6mm's.

Sounds like there may be something in that... thought I'd pass it along!

Brad

<razorback>
posted
Thanks for the relpys, I have a weatherby V stainless with a 24" barrel. I bought it for my wife but I like shooting it so much i kinda took it over. do you guys know if there is a trophy bonded 24cal bullet. I know federal offers it in the 22-250, but I tried to order some in the 243 and they said they can't get them even though they are listed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the .243 is such a marginal weapon when you try to go beyond varmints, anything that will enhance your payload downrange is a plus. By all means use the Grand Slam. Better yet, convert the .243 to a 7-08 and shoot 145gr Grand Slams.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<razorback>
posted
Beemanbeme,
do you think if you held a 44mag at deer at point blank range, do you think it would kill it, cause that is how much energy the 243 has at 300yds. plus a whole lot better sectional density. the 243 isn't marginal, if it was it wouldn't be so damn popular in the south.

one of us
posted Hide Post
razorback said " i am also wandering why the loading manual has max. vel. at like 2840 and the factory ammo is 2950. anyone with loads faster."

I have a 100 grain load I got out of a Ackley book that chronographs 3145 out of my 243 winchester. I have tested it many times. This load shows signs of being WAY too hot with Sierra 100 grain but Hornaday 100's are fine. This load shoots under 1" groups any time. I have shot many big Idaho mule deer with it and I even used it in a pinch to take down a spik elk. The elk took one shot at 80 yards and went down in under 20 yards to a double lung hit. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Razor, the 6mm's are pretty popular here is WV also. I know 'cause I help the good ole boys find their deer.
Gee, first Slick Willie left and now Nolan is going. Pretty soon all your prominent citizens will be gone.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used grand slams in my 250 savage almost exclusively on upto wild boar, with good results. Razor... with all due respect I think the 44 mag is entirely more competent at its effective range (100 yards or so)on deer and larger sized game then a 243. Not only can it penetrate deeper, it also causes a little more meaningfull dammage.
take care

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by razorback:
the 243 isn't marginal, if it was it wouldn't be so damn popular in the south.

It is pretty popular here in Wyoming too. My first muley buck was a one shot kill with a .243. A friend of mine took a hugh muley with his. As far as I know it was a one shot kill. I have seen quite a few one shot kills with the .243 and have no qualms about using it. Go ahead and use yours and enjoy it. I do think the upper limit on range for the .243 is about 300 yards.

WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote