THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Saw a deer with MAJOR skin problems....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Saw a deer with MAJOR skin problems....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
Doc,
That report sounds exactly like what I saw. It says "The larger ones tend to be pendulous because of their weight and stem-like attachment to the skin." The one that was hanging from her lower neck did indeed look like a pendulum.
Your report further said, "Fibromas are randomly distributed on deer but occur most frequently about the eyes, neck, face, and forelegs. They may be single or multiple. A heavily infected deer may have 25 or more.".
All of that is exactly what I saw. Surely sounds like you made a perfect diagnosis!
The report indicates that fibromatosis isn't a factor in deer mortality or spreadable to humans. That said, I would agree with the article when they describe the disease as "repulsive" and "gross."
Since we'll be taking out a lot does later in the season, I doubt that I'll pass this one up at that time....

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...looks tasty! NOT! Deers is subjic to minnie of the sam myladys as uther mamals.

I just reread this and decided to add this disclaimer: I am not Big Mortie and I don't hunt squill!

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a spike with a bow in PA 12 or more years ago. Had these all over one side of its face and neck. Took it to the game commission and they said it wasn't contagious but they gave out another tag. Just something about eating a critter with those big mushrooms growing off of it.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Louisiana a buddy of mine shot a deer, then came out and told me that he had shot a deer that had cancer. It was a small buck with 1 inch spikes laying flat on top of its head, and it had similar warts all over its face and underside. We had never heard of such a thing. My friend called a Game and Fish officer, who said he wouldn't feed it to his dogs.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Do you live near any nuclear power plants? Watch out for six legged chickens, Tyson likes the extra drumsticks. Seriously, I have never seen them before, it can't be a good thing.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the discaimer Andy, you had me frightened there for a moment.

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it, but what the hell do you do with such an ugly thing. I don't think I'd touch such an ugly thing. Although, having said that, I do have a boxer dog that has both the benign and cancerous tumors. They don't bother him, but sure don't make him look any better.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote