New
Find
Notify
Tools

lead contamination?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a Medline search specifically regarding "hunting" and "lead" and found the below abstracts if anyone is actually interested in more science rather than fantasy/anecdotal experiences/opinions. I have not read any of these studies and can not comment on their quality. None of these address the issue of if hunters with suffer health effects. That research will likely never get done.

Regards,
Wes

1: Environ Pollut. 2006 Jul;142(1):93-7. Epub 2005 Nov 8.Click here to read Links
Lead shot from hunting as a source of lead in human blood.
Johansen P, Pedersen HS, Asmund G, Riget F.

National Environmental Research Institute, Frederiksborgvej 399, DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark. poj@dmu.dk

This study investigates the relationship between the intake of birds hunted with lead shot and the lead concentration in human blood. Fifty adult men from Nuuk, Greenland took part in the study. From September 2003 to June 2004 they regularly gave blood samples and recorded how many birds they ate. We found a clear relationship between the number of bird meals and blood lead and also a clear seasonal variation. The concentration was highest in mid-winter when bird consumption is at its highest. Blood lead was low (15 microg/L, mean concentration) among the participants reporting not eating birds. Among those reporting to eat birds regularly, blood lead was significantly higher, up to 128 microg/L (mean concentration). Concentrations depended on the frequency of bird meals: the more the bird meals, the higher the resulting blood lead. This clear relationship points to lead shot as the dominating lead source to people in Greenland.

1: Sci Total Environ. 2008 Apr 15;393(2-3):291-8. Epub 2008 Feb 12.Click here to read Links
The identification of lead ammunition as a source of lead exposure in First Nations: the use of lead isotope ratios.
Tsuji LJ, Wainman BC, Martin ID, Sutherland C, Weber JP, Dumas P, Nieboer E.

Department of Environment and Resource Studies, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada. ljtsuji@fes.uwaterloo.ca

The use of lead shotshell to hunt water birds has been associated with lead-contamination in game meat. However, evidence illustrating that lead shotshell is a source of lead exposure in subsistence hunting groups cannot be deemed definitive. This study seeks to determine whether lead shotshell constitutes a source of lead exposure using lead isotope ratios. We examined stable lead isotope ratios for lichens, lead shotshell and bullets, and blood from residents of Fort Albany and Kashechewan First Nations, and the City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Data were analyzed using ANOVA and regression analyses. ANOVA of isotope ratios for blood revealed significant differences with respect to location, but not sex. Hamilton differed from both Kashechewan and Fort Albany; however, the First Nations did not differ from each other. ANOVA of the isotope ratios for lead ammunition and lichens revealed no significant differences between lichen groups (north and south) and for the lead ammunition sources (pellets and bullets). A plot of (206)Pb/(204)Pb and (206)Pb/(207)Pb values illustrated that lichens and lead ammunition were distinct groupings and only the 95% confidence ellipse of the First Nations group overlapped that of lead ammunition. In addition, partial correlations between blood-lead levels (adjusted for age) and isotope ratios revealed significant (p<0.05) positive correlations for (206)Pb/(204)Pb and (206)Pb/(207)Pb, and a significant negative correlation for (208)Pb/(206)Pb, as predicted if leaded ammunition were the source of lead exposure. In conclusion, lead ammunition was identified as a source of lead exposure for First Nations people; however, the isotope ratios for lead shotshell pellets and bullets were indistinguishable. Thus, lead-contaminated meat from game harvested with lead bullets may also be contributing to the lead body burden.

1: Environ Health Perspect. 2005 Apr;113(4):491-3.
Related Articles, Links
Click here to read Click here to read
Intoxication from an accidentally ingested lead shot retained in the gastrointestinal tract.

Gustavsson P, Gerhardsson L.

Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, Stockholm Centre for Public Health, Stockholm, Sweden. per.gustavsson@phs.ki.se

A 45-year-old woman was referred to the Department of Occupational and Environmental Health in January 2002 because of increased blood lead concentrations of unknown origin. She suffered from malaise, fatigue, and diffuse gastrointestinal symptoms. She had a blood lead level of 550 microg/L (normal range < 40 microg/L). The patient had not been occupationally exposed to lead, and no potential lead sources, such as food products or lead-glazed pottery, could be identified. Her food habits were normal, but she did consume game occasionally. Clinical examination, including standard neurologic examination, was normal. No anemia was present. Laboratory tests showed an increased excretion of lead in the urine, but there were no signs of microproteinuria. An abdominal X ray in October 2002 revealed a 6-mm rounded metal object in the colon ascendens. Before the object could be further localized, the patient contracted winter vomiting disease (gastroenteritis) and the metal object was spontaneously released from the colon during a diarrhea attack. The object was a lead shot pellet, possibly but not normally used in Sweden for hunting wild boar or roe deer. Blood lead levels slowly decreased. Nine months later the patient's blood lead levels were almost normal (approximately 70 microg/L) and her symptoms had almost completely disappeared. In this case, a rare source of lead exposure was found. In investigations of blood lead elevations of unknown origin, we recommend abdominal X ray in parallel with repeated blood lead determinations.

1: J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003 May;61(5):593-603.Click here to read Links
Elevated blood lead resulting from maxillofacial gunshot injuries with lead ingestion.
McQuirter JL, Rothenberg SJ, Dinkins GA, Norris K, Kondrashov V, Manalo M, Todd AC.

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Charles R Drew University of Medicine and Sciences, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA. jmcquirter@dhs.co.la.ca.us

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to identify the contribution of ingested lead particles to elevated blood lead concentrations in victims of gunshot injury to the maxillofacial region. PATIENTS AND METHODS: As part of a larger study of the effects of retained lead bullets on blood lead, a retrospective review of study findings was completed on 5 of 8 patients who sustained injuries to the maxillofacial region. These 5 patients were recruited into the larger study within 11 days of injury and showed a penetration path for the projectile that engaged the upper aerodigestive tract. All subjects were recruited from patients presenting for care of their gunshot injuries to a large inner-city trauma center with a retained bullet resulting from a gunshot injury. An initial blood lead level was measured for all recruited patients and repeated 1 to 17 weeks later. Medical history was taken along with a screening and risk factor questionnaire to determine other potential or actual sources (occupational/recreational) of lead exposure. (109)Cd K-shell x-ray fluorescence determinations of bone lead were completed to determine past lead exposure not revealed by medical history and risk factor questionnaire. Radiographs taken of the abdomen and chest, required as a part of the patient's hospital care, were retrospectively reviewed for signs of metallic fragments along the aerodigestive tract. RESULTS: All 5 patients retained multiple lead pellets or fragments at the site of injury, sustained fractures of the facial bones, and showed increases in blood lead. Three of the 5 study subjects who sustained maxillofacial gunshot injuries involving the mouth, nose, or throat region showed metallic densities along the gastrointestinal tract indicative of ingested bullet fragments. Each patient with ingested bullet fragments showed rapid elevation of blood lead exceeding 25 microg/dL and sustained increases well beyond the time when all ingested fragments were eliminated. A 3-year follow-up on these 3 patients showed significantly sustained elevation of blood lead but less than that observed during the initial 6 months after injury. None of the 5 study subjects showed any evidence of metallic foreign bodies within the tracheobronchial regions indicative of aspiration. CONCLUSION: Ingestion of lead fragments can result from gunshot injuries to the maxillofacial region and may substantially contribute to a rapid increase in blood lead level. Prompt diagnosis and elimination of ingested lead fragments are essential steps necessary to prevent lead being absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Increased blood lead in victims after gunshot injuries must be fully evaluated for all potential sources, including recent environmental exposure, absorption of lead from any remaining bullets in body tissues, and the possibility of mobilization of lead from long-term body stores such as bone. Copyright 2003 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Wes,

Kudos for your research and comments.

When I wrote that Range Report article, I did a LOT of research. As a result, I found dozens upon dozens of FACTUAL, scientific-based studies that have ALREADY been done on lead exposure -- both for animals and humans -- that show a definitive relationship between even minimal exposures and the myriad physical problems that result from it -- death being the most serious of the consequences.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else see the history channel show on lead this weekend? A lot pertinent to this discussion was mentioned. Among them; blood-lead levels of the average American have decreased by 75% since the banning of lead additives in gasoline in the 70's, Beethoven's bones (recently examined) contained high lead levels possibly accounting for his weird behaviour and even death, miners in lead mines ARE NOT normally in danger of lead poisoning (I found this surprising) due to the stability of the lead that hasn't (yet) been exposed to air, the American bullet industry uses 60 TONS of lead per day!

Do I think ingesting lead is harmful? Sure. Do I think lead bullets pose an environmental risk? Definately not under NORMAL hunting conditions. I do think unscrupulous meat processing can result in more lead in your meat than you'd normally expect. Pick your processor carefully or do it yourself. As for the risk posed by unrecovered game to scavengers, I think - and that's all it is, my own opinion - the amount of game lost today is probably less than at any time prior. That said and keeping in mind the appearant presence of those particles in the offal in the MN DNR xrays, field dressing game may well leave said particles to the critters who clean up the resulting gut piles. Hence I remain undecided on the risk to scavengers but those whose demise might be worty of concern are few!
With the average price of ammunition roughly doubling in the past two years, retooling the whole industry (keeping mind the above figure of 60 tons/day) to use something else would surely result in dramaticly higher ammunition prices!

The question as I see it is; Is the risk posed worthy of the proposed action - banning lead bullets? In the end I doubt any such common sense approach will have any bearing on how this turns out. It is sure to cost us as users a lot more though. Consider that the MN study cost $50,000 and the result? Lead bullets come apart when they hit something. Is that really a surprise to anyone who's ever shot an animal??? diggin

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With the average price of ammunition roughly doubling in the past two years, retooling the whole industry (keeping mind the above figure of 60 tons/day) to use something else would surely result in dramaticly higher ammunition prices!

I doubt any such common sense approach will have any bearing on how this turns out. It is sure to cost us as users a lot more though. Consider that the MN study cost $50,000 and the result? Lead bullets come apart when they hit something. Is that really a surprise to anyone who's ever shot an animal??? diggin

oupa, there are those who want just what you have described. They can't legislate us out of existence, they can't tax us out of existence so they will price us out of existence by legislating ammo out of existence.

I'm really surprised that it has taken the antis so long to figure this on out though. One of the oldest principals of war is to cut your enemy's supply line. Soldiers don't march on empty stomaches and guns don't shoot without bullets.

Here's one. What does a Barnes X or other solid bullet do to a bullet proof vest. I'm going to GUESS that it goes right through. So after lead is banned the only thing left will be solids which will be banned because they are "armor piercing" and "cop killers".

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan R. McDaniel, Jr.:
[QUOTE]

Here's one. What does a Barnes X or other solid bullet do to a bullet proof vest. I'm going to GUESS that it goes right through. So after lead is banned the only thing left will be solids which will be banned because they are "armor piercing" and "cop killers".

Mr. McDaniel,

Your "guess" about copper bullets going through a bullet proof vest is a good one. A copper bullet from a high powered rifle will blast right through most of the vest worn by police officers. Guess what? So will just about any lead bullet from a rifle. Easily. Most ballistic vests are made to stop pistol calibers. The very sturdy IBA's worn by our troops with the ceramic plates will stop most common small arms bullets. I doubt though that they would stop even the softest 200gr lead slug out of a 338. I know this is off topic, just again trying to keep us grounded in reality.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I think we all know if you ingest lead,you will get sick.
The question for me is,am I ingesting lead from a cup and core bullet that took a whitetail with a lung shot?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Well, I guess I'm damn glad that 90+ percent of all game meat I've ever eaten was taken with a bow!! archer

I have donated most of my game meat from western trips.

Fear not; soon they'll release the studies on steel and fiberglass poisoning!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 12 October 2008 18:26 Hide Post
I think we all know if you ingest lead,you will get sick.
The question for me is,am I ingesting lead from a cup and core bullet that took a whitetail with a lung shot?

JB,

If I had to judge by the lung shot fawn by my partner in our early season antlerless hunt on Saturday I would say yes without question. The shot took out a rib on the way in shredded everything but the bottom lobe of one lung and took two ribs on the way out. Both front quarters had a lot of mangled meat.

If you believe the MNDNR tests that showed the lead spread as far as 18 inches and you cheated, only trimmed 12 inches, then 1/2 that deer would be wasted.

Luckily for us last spring he asked me to load some Barnes bullets for him. An '06 at short range is rarely tidy.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WESR, I know that most bullet proof vest are not bullet proof against HP rifle rounds. A solid handgun round may penetrate though. the antis are not going to use logic as you did but rather the argument that I gave. It is already working for lead.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the Ultra-Liberal Radical-Leftist Louisville Courier Journal rag newspaper - with reduced verbiage:

The non-profit Hunters for the Hungry are expecting about 10,000 Deer to be donated from Youth and Black Powder Hunts this year. The meat ends up at more than 30 local charities.

This is a significant increase from the 1699 Deer donated to the Program in 2006. They have now provided over 2 million meals thanks to the Hunters and Processors. People planning to make the Donations need to do so prior to the November Centerfire Season because the Processors typically run short on space.

Hunters for the Hungry will be working with 52 Processors in 45 KY counties this year. They are listed inside the KY Hunting Guide which is available where you get your Licenses.
-----------

No mention is made in the article of the BOGUS Lead Fiasco or the attempt to get the Homeless folks only eating Tofu.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder who the meal recipients will be voting for in November?

Alan