New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manitoba black bear
 Login/Join

Picture of Bojano
posted
Hello all here is pics and story of my bear....

I got him on june 2nd, after 5 days of 8 -9+ hours a day in a tree stand...
Well story goes like this .....
I worked for a good friend of mine as a guide in his hunting/fishing lodge.Near the end of the spring bear season we were still seeing a lot of large bear sign throughout our hunting area, this of course helped me in deciding to try and bag one of these large Bruno's.
Here is my story of my bear hunt in North Western Manitoba.
For first four days all I saw was smaller bears, and on my fifth day after being in the stand for give or take 45 min. I heard a slight noise to my left.
I slowlly shifted my eyes and head that way and saw a new bear, one I haven't seen before. I did not have a clear view of it, so I waited as it was going towards a bait. Few seconds later I heard a noise come from a same spot ........ so I first tought: " Sow with cubs?" . As it turns out it was a cub, but very grown up......, like cub loooooooooooong time ago.
By now sow reached a bait and was enjoying herself and I was waiting for a boyfriend to show up....... as I lost a sight of it in some really thick bush.
I could hear him walking around , but not towards a bait, he circled around came out on a same trail as he walked in and headed back. All I had to look at was his shinny coat on his ass and that was trough some branches and who knows what....... and he was gone.
Well sow was scratching and eating and laying around for one hour, and no sight of a boar. Then she got up and walked away after him.
I knew he smelled me as he was straight down wind from me, unusual wind direction and very strong gusts. and all this at about 15 yds.
So by now I'm planning how to out smart him... and is he the one I wanna take. I never had a clear view of him nor was I able to compare his size to a known object, I saw his belly hanging low and I knew he was bigger by a bit than that sow, but his ears looked HUGE on his head, wide apart but big.
So some 4 hours later since sow left she comes back.
I am all ready and watching that trail, but he wasn't following as close as the first time, then I see bits and pieces of black trough bush.
And he hangs up behind some really thick stuff, wind ..... well same story as before, than he goes and puts his head in small opening in bush and that is the only thing I can see....... and I didn't wanna ruin the skull. Step later I can see his gut... no shot.
Than he heads towards bait, but hangs up just short of clearing and doesn't come a step closer. After a minute or two he starts circling back and shows up on a trail he walked in, and only opening is that hole where his head was moments earlier. So as he was trying to sneak out, in that hole I saw, head followed by neck and shoulder...... squize and muzzle flash.
Sow starts crashing one way, and he jumps and crashes in some trees and bush the other way. Then it is all quiet, no more crashing no death moan ..... nothing. So I wait a few minutes, less than five, light was fading fast. I come down from a stand and walk to a spot where he was standing..... nothing, but ten feet away there was first drops of bright red blood on grass, I look up ahead and see the hole he made running away.... slowly come up to it and there 10 yds away he was laying dead as a door nail. I went to get some help to get him out of there.
Shot him with 180 gr Accubond out of 30-06, entrance was just behind shoulder and exit trough of side shoulder.
He weighted 352 lbs on a scale, and when skinned he was 7'4" nose to tail, hide and head wighted in at 80 lbs, I didn't skin out a skull but it is big if not B&C it must be close, and yes he does have ears like Dambo go figure...

Sorry for loooong story

" Some day some one might kill you with your own gun... but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty. "

Posts: 2 | Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | Registered: 11 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Thanks for posting. Your bear was 2" longer than mine. I got mine (both) June 1st. Just been too lazy to post report and pics.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well down clap good bear beer
Can't get enough bear hunting. love'em

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bojano,

I was trying to be helpful and I wrecked the links to your photos, when I tried to get them to display. I deleted the full URL and kept the truncated URL by accident.

Hopefully it isn't too much trouble for you to restore them!

Sorry 'bout that. I should stop trying to walk and chew gum at the same time!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bojano, not sure if you've visited the site since I messed up your photos, but anyway, I was feeling bad so I have made a few guesses at what the complete URL could have been (even searched photobucket to see if you shared your album). Well, by fluke I managed to figure out the right one, so your photos are now displayed.

Many apologies for that!

And great bear, btw!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunt good story.

Picture of Bojano
posted Hide Post
Canuck, no problems about anything.
I just didn't have access to net lately, still in the bush. Cool

" Some day some one might kill you with your own gun... but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty. "

Posts: 2 | Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | Registered: 11 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the bear. I hope to hunt one some day.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote