THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Why you close the doors and windows...........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why you close the doors and windows...........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
....on a Deer Blind!!!

https://youtu.be/txglvmmxWnk

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a mess.. We had buzzards nest in one of our blinds years ago. That was really nasty to clean up!

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
That was a pile of those little buggers

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Yep, Been there and done that!

Have cleaned up some very bad and nasty shooting houses.

When cleaning the houses, I found to have both plenty of
wasp spray and bug bombs.
Sometimes its good to throw in a bug bomb and come back to clean the house.

Best is to make sure the house is closed up soon after the season is over.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Porcupines cause all kinds of damage to blinds here.

Just one of the reasons I shoot them on sight.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is what I do in the Fall, once it gets cold enough that the wasps go into the blinds to try and live thru the night.

I go out as soon as it is day light but still cool and make the rounds and throw bug bombs in all of the blinds we use.

One problem that it seems like I short circuited this year was a build up of wasps and bees in our feed mechanisms on the feeders.

I can not remember where I heard it, but just before it started getting cool enough for the bugs to go into the mechanism housing, I put 3 or 4 mothballs inside the mechanism housing and had no bugs in any of them.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1
And if the blinds are on the ground, lookout for rats and snakes. The former seem to attract the latter.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No bugs where I hunt in texas to speak of but coons and opossums like deer blinds for shelter. I also know of a few rattle snakes taking up residence. Most of our blinds are ground blinds.

Also in a ranching area your supposed to know from childhood to close all gates that are closed when you pass thru them and all barn doors and whatever..Leave it as you see it..The wind in Texas or any place else has been known to blow a door off or spring it to not fit anymore. Common since dictates closing doors and windows when not in use.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

I can not remember where I heard it, but just before it started getting cool enough for the bugs to go into the mechanism housing, I put 3 or 4 mothballs inside the mechanism housing and had no bugs in any of them.

That may also have been me.
We use mothballs in all our shooting houses.

We use them straight out of the box after the spring cleaning, but not it the fall - Mothballs can get too strong when your closed up in it. But also have a mothballs in a small plastic bottle with holes drilled in it. Keeps the scent around, year round! The deer get use to it and think it helps cover your scent/breath while in the house.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip about the moth balls in the bottle, sounds like a good option. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in Namibia last month, a leopard killed a porcupine and dragged the carcus up into our blind. It ate all the belly meat, and I salvaged about 20 of the quills, which are about 8" to 10" long, and considered to be good luck.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote