Login/Join

posted
Removed. Send email for zipfile.

[ 10-29-2003, 04:33: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
There was a clip of him shooting boars in Australia that was run on Jim Shockey's show last night. Did you catch it?

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RSY,
No, but I sure wish I had. Not sure I get that program here in New York. (?) Can someone tell me what station and time?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best hunting stories I ever read was by Gates on his Marco Polo hunt in Afganistan.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mickey 1,
Any chance of getting that story to me? I'd like to scan and post it here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick

I am not sure how. It is called The Rams of Shangri-La and is the last chapter in his book Trophy Hunters in Asia. It is over 40 pages long.

The first paragraph:

BEYOND THE HIMALAYAS, where the massive snowcovered peaks of the Karakoram and Hindu Kush ranges converge, there is a narrow, green-terraced valley. This is the tiny kingdom of Hunza, sometimes called Shangri-La. Precise details of the northern extremities of this forbidden valley that merge into China are unknown. Maps are marked with the cryptic note: Unexplored.

I was lucky enough to meet him and get him to autograph my copy when my father lived in Boise.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Nick:

It's on the Outdoor Channel. Here's a link to the schedule:

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/showInfo/index.cfm?PageName=ShowDesc&ShowID=433&ShowType=Hunting

This channel is available nationwide, but you may have to lobby your local cable company to actually get them to carry it.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
O.K., Thanks RSY!

Mickey - In my minds eye, I can see Ronald Coleman with a rifle. [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick

The article you posted is a brief exert from the story. The Book is well worth getting and is much better than his one on Africa. I think his heart was truly in the mountains and not in the veld. Perhaps the best hunting book I have ever read because of his passion for high and lonely places.

I only met him once and just for dinner with others but his passion for hunting was palatable. He was hurt very deeply when the antis burnt down his house and he lost most of his trophies and memerabilia.

posted Hide Post
I had no knowledge of that. He has always held my interest but I confess to knowing next to nothing about him. Wasn't he "kudu crazy", too? The .300 Weatherby for everything, right? Did you catch the pics I posted with Gates and Bert Klineburger hunting India?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. [Cool] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

<JOHAN>
posted
Nickudu

You do an absolutely fantastic job posting all these articles.

I have some trouble getting all the pages enlarged for some reason [Confused] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can remember reading Elgin Gates stories in Gun World magazine back during the late 1960's. The one I remember the most was called "Buffalo Chicken". He and his guide would encourage a Cape Buffalo into charging then the first to shoot was chicken. I only wish I could get a copy of those stories from Gun World mag. today. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
Keep posting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu.
Keep posting - that was great.

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Mr.Gates' book "African Hunter" and can only dream about what it was like to explore unhunted country in a near pristine Africa...
BTW what do you guys think of his supposed kudu record hoax? The animal was never entered although he put all his other trophies in the book...
BTW did this man have a job? How did he fund his non-stop 3month safaris?

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I skipped over Gates as he was always holding one of those Weatherbys. The Weatherby rifle was a topic of derision in our Eastern target shooting club and they cost a lot too.

Thinking back over the Weatherby impact on rifles one has to welcome the choice. Other than that I thought that hitting the target with the first shot was something to work at rather than the psuedo performace of plastic inlays, overloads and freebore.

I really like these articles by Nickudu.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gates worked for an outboard motor company.The Weatherby Mark 5 was named with the help of Gates-Roy was going to name it the Model 5 (it was the fifth design that Roy and his partner had built looking for "the one"),and Gates suggest Mark 5,as his line of outboards were the "Mark" series.

I believe Gates also was the first to test the 378 Weatherby in Africa,and also the first to recieve the Weatherby Award (not positive on that though).

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gates' Asian book ("Trophy HUnter in Asia") is indeed a great book. Well worth a read. The story on the Ovis Polli hunt in Pakistan (not Afganistan) is indeed an epic!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
I have Mr.Gates' book "African Hunter" and can only dream about what it was like to explore unhunted country in a near pristine Africa...
BTW what do you guys think of his supposed kudu record hoax? The animal was never entered although he put all his other trophies in the book...
BTW did this man have a job? How did he fund his non-stop 3month safaris?

The Kudu was put together at Klineburgers Studio in Seattle. Bert, Chris and Gates were fast friends and Klineburgers reopened the Selous to hunting in the 60s. It was originally a joke that just got out of hand.

They added about 12 inches I believe.