New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC hunter mauled by grizz
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can find no mention of what caliber of rifle he used maybe some one else can.

Man mauled by grizzly kills bear, lives to tell tale
Last Updated: Friday, June 6, 2008 | 10:03 PM ET Comments29Recommend22CBC News
A man from B.C.'s Interior not only survived being mauled by a grizzly — he killed the bear as well.

'I noticed my shoulder was dislocated. I managed to pop it in myself and thought I'd better go and get some help.'
— John ShorterJohn Shorter, 38, was hiking near Dease Lake in Northern B.C. Tuesday when he said he smelled a bear in the area.

"I heard a woofing sound, turned, seen a grizz coming at me. I managed to get my rifle up and get one round into the chest.… At that point he got on top of me, obviously, and took me down," Shorter said. "He proceeded to try to maul me in the back of the scalp and on the neck, and I protected my neck with my hands. They got fairly chewed up."

The bear was biting at his hands, which were covering his neck, so he dropped his rifle. He scrambled to get it back, eventually putting some distance between himself and the bear.

He shot the animal a second time, this time killing it.

"You just put yourself in overdrive and try and not get yourself killed," Shorter said. "It's an amazing amount of adrenaline going through yourself.… You get lots of thoughts going through your mind but you think about, obviously, your family and it's worth living, so fight."

After killing the bear, Shorter picked up his rifle and staggered back to his vehicle.

"I got back in my pickup, grabbed a drink of water, got my thoughts straight. I noticed my shoulder was dislocated. I managed to pop it in myself and thought I'd better go and get some help," Shorter said.

He drove to the nearby community of Iskut for medical treatment.

Shorter escaped the attack with what he called minor injuries. He received 40 stitches, and suffered a broken hand and multiple puncture wounds.

"You know, if you're in that situation, all you can do is fight for all you got. I mean, I don't think I'm any different from anyone else," he said.

Shorter is still recovering at his home in Smithers. Conservation officials continue to investigate the attack.

Post a comment29People have commented on this story Recommend this story22People have recommended this story
Story Tools: E-MAIL | PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shorter escaped the attack with what he called minor injuries. He received 40 stitches, and suffered a broken hand and multiple puncture wounds.

Uh...
thats very MINOR considering what could have happened.
I sure wouldnt call it being "mauled".

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your definition of what constitutes a mauling doesn't hold much water until you have layed underneath a griz and only had yourself to depend on,killed the bear and got yourself to medical attention.
easy to sit on that side of the screen and be the critic

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as though it qualifies in my book...thats one lucky SOB!
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One tough SOB is more like it. I don't think they'll be laying any charges here. Big Grin Maybe it's just me, but these kinds of attack seem to be getting less Media coverage, than they used to. Paranoia on my part, or are the "Green" types trying to underplay bear hazzards? We had a hunter killed here last fall and it barely made a ripple.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
" officials continue to investigate" Why ? The story is over with a happy ending ! Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Adams I think what is happening is they are becoming more common so they are not as news worthy. For years it was a attack eery few years now it. Now it is multiple attacks a year.

But here also could be the factor you mentions I don't trust the envio wakos at all.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a mauling to me.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While i am not discounting the terror I am saying that 40 stitches is about half what a decent dog will give you in a single bite.
My reference is to the obvious use of the word mauling by the press to over dramatize the injuries.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well hell then just call it a simple little "BEAR ATTACK" then if that sounds better to you..
I would bet good money however that if it had been you getting knocked down and chewed upon they could have called it whatever the frick they wanted too.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a mauling you kidding and only 40 stitches. homer

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
There's a reason they classify browns/grizzs as DANGEROUS GAME

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John is a personal friend of mine, and we've worked together on and off since 1992 or so.

He doesn't really consider it a 'mauling' either, more of a 'mishap' or 'run-in', though readily admits that if it had been a bigger bear than it was, he'd never have broken free and grabbed his rifle.

Not sure what they meant an 'investigstion', as there were no charges of any kind.

The reason there was limited and delayed media coverage was simply that John refused to speak to the media, other than eventually talking to the CBC and the Interior News a week later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been bitten by several dogs, several times per attack, and never had more than a dozen stitches. 20 plus bites a couple of times. Plenty of puncture wounds though, which are worse, and more problematic to deal with, at least medically according the docs.

A bear only given you 40 and some puncture wounds would be a bitch though. Glad he killed the thing!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
animas in canada are more protected than humans thats for sure

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually a dog doesn't attack with the intensity of a wild animal. I did have a dobe that bit an unauthorized visitor in my yard about 30 years ago that had 60 stitches in his leg. He apparently kicked at the dog since he bit him just above the ankle, not where a 90 pound dog would grab a person naturally imo. I hunted with a guide in BC who was attacked by a grizzly shot through the hump, he had a couple pounds tore off his butt, and the bear picked him up shaking him like a rat by the leg, breaking his leg among other lacerations, etc. then for whatever reason wandered off. He had a nice pic of the bear after he tracked him down while on crutches and leg in a cast by the way.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
I hunted with a guide in BC who was attacked by a grizzly shot through the hump, he had a couple pounds tore off his butt, and the bear picked him up shaking him like a rat by the leg, breaking his leg among other lacerations, etc. then for whatever reason wandered off. He had a nice pic of the bear after he tracked him down while on crutches and leg in a cast by the way.

Story sounds similar to what happened to Roy Pattison, a B.C. guide. If so, the lifesize mount in the lodge is that very bear.

Here's a snippet from a feature article on spring bear hunting I wrote for OUTDOOR LIFE way back when.

Earlier our binoculars had located two dark spots in a swath of emerald green grass more than a mile distant. Although the sighting prompted Pattison to assemble his spotting scope, I surmised he already knew what he was seeing after having chased Canada's bears for over 20 years.

Once, however, it was the other way around.

On a fall hunt, a few years ago, a lady from Germany put a bullet through the hump of a big grizzly. Armed with a 30/06, Pattison, along with his German shepherd, Radar, followed the bear into the bush. The dog soon found the wounded grizzly, and Pattison put three 220-grain bullets into it.

Still, the enraged animal managed to launch an attack, tearing a huge chunk of flesh from Pattison's left buttock and biting his ankle. The dog's persistent harassment and Pattison's kicking and screaming eventually caused the bear to flee.

While Pattison spent a week in a Prince George hospital receiving numerous skin grafts and treatment of a chipped ankle bone, his brother and friends unsuccessfully searched for the bear.

The following spring the lady from Germany returned and wounded another grizzly. This time, with a new-found respect, Pattison borrowed his brother's .458. Radar again located the bear, and two shots from the big-bore rifle put it down for keeps.

When Pattison removed the hide, he found four healed gunshot wounds and recovered two 220-grain, 30/06 slugs; it was the same grizzly that had mauled him the previous fall. The 10-foot tall, life-size mount sitting in the main lodge now serves as a grim reminder of the guide's close encounter.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely was Roy. Have you heard from him lately? He wasn't in real good health when I saw him, and I heard he sold his outfitting business, but don't know if that is true or not.

Jim

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Figured.

I haven't talked to Roy for a few years now, so I'm not sure if he sold or not. BUT...his Sentinel Mt. web site is still active. I did hear that he quit drinking, though. Wink

My son and I hunted with him again in 2004. We both killed good bears. This is mine.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoulda used the .223 Remington. An absolutely devastating round that, in the hands of a well practiced shooter, is known to fold elephants. rotflmo