New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheaton Creek Ranch new mexico.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking into wheaton creek ranch in new mexico for a bull elk hunt. I looked into there website and some references and they seem to come highly recommended. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with them.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO Lotta money for elk.
I am spoiled by being a native among 'em.
Fine elk producing location though.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Maryland, George lives in Colorado. Tome the price is not bad at all. Especially considering R&B, guide service, tag, and cleaning it and such. Place looks great, and obviously have the elk, and running a 100% on some of the rifle hunts, isn't hard to take. Check the price of the Jicarilla Apache place, and see their prices, which I think are considerably higher. I don't want to pay for an Elk myself, but hey, we aren't out there, and that's where the elk are and so price not bad.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
For the type of hunt they offer, that’s not a bad price. You should be able to kill a nice bull, though you’ll not likely have much opportunity at a truly big bull. However, I’m guessing that the majority of elk hunters never kill a 300” bull in their lifetime, so this place offers a chance to do better than that if you can stay off the trigger.

Unless you’re looking for a big bull (in my mind, big starts north of 330”), I think this is an interesting elk hunt opportunity. If you’re looking for a guided hunt for a big bull, there are better areas but guided hunts in big bull units typically go for a lot more than what this place charges.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This place seems like the best cost per size of bull. Not really looking to spend any more than the price of this ranch. I have seen ranches like tejon ranch that charge 30,000. Now that is crazy.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Seems reasonable to me.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That unit is pretty much a 300 bull unit. Many will be smaller and some will be 315 or so, but it is not a trophy unit.

For an 90% chance on a good looking bull I think it is a fair price in todays market.

You could probably kill a 320-380 bull on a game ranch in New Mexico, Colorado, Saskatchewan, Texas, or anywhere else, for the same money and have the same hotel like place.

The Ted Turner properties allow bulls to get to be 10 years old generally before they kill them.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
This place seems like the best cost per size of bull. Not really looking to spend any more than the price of this ranch. I have seen ranches like tejon ranch that charge 30,000. Now that is crazy.

I think Tejon Ranch is offering tule elk which pardon the pun are a whole different animal. Only available in very limited numbers in very limited territory so the SCI inner circle idiots will pay anything to complete their "slam".

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The elk on Tejon are Rockies, they are out of the Tule elk area.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote