Find
Notify
Tools

Your help as a hunter is needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Basically 2 clicks of your mouse and you can help ensure huntings future. Apathy is our biggest enemy.
Please follow the link and vote, if you hunt you need to vote for this just follow the link. At this time anti's are voting and have a lead 75 to 25% we need to vote.
Vote "for" the measure.

http://intelligencesquaredus.o...serve-wildlife&tab=2

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unreal comments.They just do not get that someone has to kill something in order to eat meat.They must think it grows on a bush. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I agree OLBIKER some of the comments are laughable, amazing that the majority of the pro hunting comments are well thought out and have some verifiable facts and the antis comments are emotionally based and attack hunting in one sentence.
OLBIKER I hope you voted....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a discussion with a gal who said that she got physically sick about running a squirrel over with her car.

But then said she wouldn't have a problem killing something to eat.

But she never killed anything except the squirrel I just said right.

some people have no clue.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I agree OLBIKER some of the comments are laughable, amazing that the majority of the pro hunting comments are well thought out and have some verifiable facts and the antis comments are emotionally based and attack hunting in one sentence.
OLBIKER I hope you voted....

I agree with you and Todd. It is clear that those antis don't care to discuss the issue, they just want to sling mud.

What is the point of that poll anyway? I mean what does it matter if "we" win the vote or they win the vote???

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the point of that poll anyway? I mean what does it matter if "we" win the vote or they win the vote???

You don't "have" to vote however for the effort you have to invest in it why not (as I said 2 mouse clicks) Why wouldn't you?
On the link to the left and right of the "cast your vote" tab are other tabs that help explain.
There is going to be a panel discussion and your vote may actually have some weight, during the actual debate you can live stream it.

The debate topic is quoted below,
"Through funds raised from legal hunting—the purchase of permits in Africa, licenses and taxes here in the U.S.—hunters contribute significantly to wildlife conservation efforts. Hunting has also become an important tool in the effort to control animal populations, to the benefit of humans and wildlife alike. But are big-game revenues really benefiting conservation and local communities? And is hunting a humane way to maintain equilibrium and habitats, or are there better alternatives?"

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't "have" to vote however for the effort you have to invest in it why not (as I said 2 mouse clicks) Why wouldn't you?

I guess I should have mentioned that I did vote before I posted. I did not(maybe I still don't) understand what the point of the debate would be. In other words, who will this debate reach?

I just wonder how many fence sitters will actually watch the debate. My guess is that the audience will be composed of people who have already made up their minds.

But I agree that we should vote.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries ,I voted from 3 different PCs. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just cast my vote!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we are now ahead by 17 votes. Please get your friends to vote.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted, but when your opponents are this ignorant and that emotional, I don't think the poll result will do much good. But at least we're trying. Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please spread the word. We are pulling ahead.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I voted, but in looking at the information available concerning the issue and the group, it appears to basically a "Think Tank" debate.

The results will just basically be used as a measure of public opinion. Even though those for hunting are in the lead, it will have no effect on the opinions of people like those that made such intelligent comments against hunting/hunters.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Done. Although I gout sucked into to reading some of the comments. Amazing!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have come from well behind to well ahead now with 61% of the vote and a 1640 vote lead.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Voted but all we can do is try to educate. George Will made an interesting comment on FOX the other day on a different subject but is apropos here.
"You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reach by reason."
The antis learned everything they need to know from Disney.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right you are . Did you read some of the responses ? Nothing can break through that ignorance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I clicked on about everything I could and couldn't find what the "for or against" was or how to actually vote.
Weird,
Zeke

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Intelligence Squared is a series of debates that are aired on National Public Radio. The ones that I have heard are fairly moderated and well done. Furthermore, if you actually listen to NPR, the stories they run on hunting, shooting, and firearms tend to be balanced and fact-based. As a result, they generally cast hunters, shooters, and gun-owners in a positive light.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I clicked on about everything I could and couldn't find what the "for or against" was or how to actually vote.
Weird,
Zeke

Zeke
Far right hand side of the page you will see a 2 color pie chart (blue and red)
Just below that are the 2 tabs to vote, please choose wisely....!

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically 2 clicks of your mouse and you can help ensure huntings future. Apathy is our biggest enemy.
Please follow the link and vote, if you hunt you need to vote for this just follow the link. At this time anti's are voting and have a lead 75 to 25% we need to vote.
Vote "for" the measure.

http://intelligencesquaredus.o...serve-wildlife&tab=2

the score had changed, results now in our favor! I'm gonna post this on a couple other sites I frequent, and suggest you do the same. Also suggest you read some of the comments these nut-jobs posted.. entertaining, but also kinda scary.

If only we could vulcanize like this for political elections, but sadly some people get hung up on personalities or other meaningless garbage..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can actually now read the "motion" whereas before I could not. No way for me to know what I was voting for or against.
Voted! Thanks
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read a few of the comments by the "anti" folks. I gather none of them are aware of the Pittman Robertson Act.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
Read a few of the comments by the "anti" folks. I gather none of them are aware of the Pittman Robertson Act.

You are correct, but the fact is nearly all of them could care less about the health of wildlife. All that they care about is stopping anyone from "killing those poor, defenseless animals for fun".

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
In reality it is ALL about one basic concept, one group of humans desiring to have control over another group of humans, End Of Story.

Does not really matter what the topic is, the Goal Is Control!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
In reality it is ALL about one basic concept, one group of humans desiring to have control over another group of humans, End Of Story.

Does not really matter what the topic is, the Goal Is Control!

Pretty simplified, but I can't argue with you one bit on that comment CHC!