THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Cold Weather Clothing....Raven Wear..??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Weather Clothing....Raven Wear..??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you folks recommend for extremly cold hunting conditions? I headed out to a Nov Caribou hunt and I was warned that -17 is the norm and it can drop to twice that cold in a flash. Add wind and it can be intolerable...

At this stage of the game I am thinking about Raven Wear. Anyone with any experience with this product? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look into some of the wool garments out there like King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian layered with some type of underlayer that has Wind Stopper in it. The great thing about wool is it is extremely warm and stays warm when wet. Alot of these wool hunting outfits are now machine washable and King of the Mountain even recommends washing and says that washing tightens the fibers so to help control wind penetration. This stuff is very expensive but wears forever. Most of the wools out there designed for hunting will out last alot of the stuff out there by decades and some of the camo patterns out there now in wools are far superior to those made by Realtree and Mossy Oak due to the fact that they are lighter and more open like the Preditor pattern. Just do yourself a favor and check out the King of the Mountain stuff before marking it off as too expensive.

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I hunt high on a mountain in Colorado where it has been 20 below with a 20 mph wind on occasion. The system I use that works for me is as follows. Polypropelyne underwear top and bottom. A Cebelas insulated Gore-Tex pant while walking, with a Goose down overpant for sitting on stand. A polartec lightweight shirt. A goose down jacket with Gore-Tex rain parka over that. I also have a Mountain Parka that is Gore-Tex Goose Down, the kind designed for Mountain Climbers, that packs in a small package in my backpack, for use when it is coldest. This system has worked for me in Colorado, Alaska, Alberta, as well as the goose blinds of Kentucky. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the wool option, as well. King of the Mountain, Sleeping Indian, or Filson are the ways to go.

I also hear the synthetics are very good, but have no experience with them.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't just hunt in the cold, I live in extreme cold here in North Dakota. Layer. Use thermax Expedition weight underwear as the first layer, then Cabelas Worsterlon shirt. Neither hold sweat. Polarguard is the next layer. Then a thinsulate coat with gortex.

Feet. DON'T pile on the socks! You have to leave air space for the insulation to work.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DAVIDC---Call NORTHERN OUTFITTERS in Draper, Utah 1-800-944-9276. Best in the business for cold weather. They will send a catalog and service is 3 days if you order by phone.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a quick price check on King of Mountain vs Raven Wear.

King M - $1000.00 to $1200.00 for pants & jacket.

Raven - $600.00 for their rifle hunter setup.

I have quite a bit of wool clothing as well as fleece & Poly under garments. Generally I am not cold while hunting or ice fishing Maine & NH with the gear I currently have. I really like the wool and fleece combo I have. However, it is a sobering thought to be outdoors 8-9 hrs a day on the tundra with temps in the teens to well below zero possible....not to mention that wind.

At the moment I am leaning tword the Raven Wear.
I think it will cover my bases and I can't seem to find any real negative responses/feedback to this product.

Couple questions I do have...

1.)How tough is it and how well does it wear? Fleece kinda scares me in this area. I'm prety hard on my gear.
2.)Level of water resistance as it doesn't look water proof.
3.)How bulky does it feel to user?
4.)Are there enough pockets? Doesn't look it..

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, you guys have the bucks and I mean $. Underlayer a good silk or wicking synthetic (turtleneck upper). Then layer w/wool. Light socks for cold, heavy for colder, both for coldest. Wool pants, wool sweater, wool zip jacket nylon lined, wool/goretex hat w/neck covering, a good 400-800g thinsulate boot, gaitors, GoreTex shell (pants, jacket w/hood), best gloves you can afford, and face gear. With exception of the underlayer, I go to the local Army Navy store. I estimate costs for all including boots and gloves to be under $450. Send the money you save to me. [Wink]

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only recommended the wool becouse of word of mouth. I usually use alot of synthetics and us the layering system to stay warm and dry.

1st. Layer of Patagonis Polypro long undies

2nd. Simms or Patagonia Breathable Wind Stopper Fleece.

3rd. Camo Microfleece/Gore-Tex shell I bought
from Cabelas last season. Its Awesome!

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DavidC

Layer and layer again.

One heavy garment will be comfortable at one temperature.

Layering is much more versatile and is also cheaper.

Your outer layer should be wind/water proof. Gortex is ideal here.

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What�s about the CABELAS Insulated Ectreme Insulated Whitetail serie ...the MT 050 Stuff???
Never had the chance to see it (because in Europe there is no cabelas ) .. but of what i�ve heared... good stuff.
BTW:
I bought me the KOM Bird Pants, and just worn them once last Autumn.
To be honest, i don�t think that the wool is that warm, maybe when u put some layers under... and something with a wind stopper membrane.

I�m still thinking of buying me the MT050 stuff or some KOM Stuff. But as mentioned above KOM is realy expensive....

Cheers
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buddies uses Raven Wear, it's stood up to at least 10 seasons now. Good winter camo pattern (a really good one is hard to find, I think most of the people that design this stuff don't actually live where there is real winter). I use the military white wind suit over my regular winter outdoor clothing, works Ok for me (total cost; $13 CDN). - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
At 17 to 34 below protection from the wind is probably more important than what kind of insulation you use. I think it is of value to look at what the natives wear. You won't find many synthetics except when inactive they might use a nylon shelled down parka. However, I do use a very lightweight Comfortrel polyester layer next to the skin. Nothing should be so tight fitting as to restrict your circulation.

Sierra Trading Post Lightweight Comfortrel longs
Stanfield Superwash Merino Wool longs or Windsor Wear Merino longs
Woolrich Alaskan Shirt
Woolrich Malone Pants
Gore Windstopper Wool Jacket
Lightweight Down Jacket
Egyptian Cotton or light canvas Anorak
Egyptian Cotton or light canvas shell or winter short pants
Steger Mukluks
Shooting Mittens, wool glove liners
Windstopper neck gaiter
Thermax or Thermastat lightweight sock liners
Fox River Outdoorsox
Wool Bomber or Railroad Hat
Neoprene face mask

This gives you enough layers to change in/out and pack for a variety of cold conditions and activity. More importantly most of this breathes and breathes much better than GoreTex. All will dry out in a heated tent overnight. Notice this is not what you need for possible wet conditions. We are talking arctic cold and by November where you are going it is highly unlikely that you will see rain.

Might want to check out Bemidji Woolen Mills

Or Gray Wolf Woolens for great Predator camo wool hunting clothes

[ 10-02-2003, 01:29: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Raven Wear is really good stuff. It is warm and very durable. I don't think it is real popular in the good ol USA because it is made here in Canada.

I don't know anyone thats been dissapointed with it. Rather the opposite in fact...everyone I have met that uses it rave of their approval.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much! All advice & recommendations are appreciated.

Canuck & dan b.,
It's good to hear Raven Wear is tough. When I heard it was made of Dacron Fleece I had my doubts about durability. I think I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. In any event before I drop $600.00 I want to get swatch of the material. What sort of hunting do your friends use RW for? Stand hunting, spot & stalk...?

two canoes,
Northen Outfitters looks like a very viable option as well. Etreme looking stuff.

jackfish,
Thanks for all those great links! I had never heard of Empire Canvas or the Montana & Canadian Wool stores. The Anorak is a great option that I had not considered. I think I will pick one up.

Layering....The solution and the problem.

I understand all the recommendations to layer ones clothes. I have been doing so for years. I generally use Poly underwear, Micro fleece with or without windstop, Wool shirt and finally a Wool Jacket with Wind stop. This is great for slowly still hunting deer, taking a stand for a few hours or ice fishing.

The problem is that I often feel like the Michellen(sp) tire man. It restricts to much movement...unless....you buy your outer most garments with layering in mind. In other words my wool jacket would be to big for me w/o 2-3 items beneath it. In my experience this is almost as bad
as clothing that is to tight.

ie....your just right with 4 garments on yet swimming in the same coat early in the season when you don't need to layer. Or it's equal and opposite.

I am sick of dealing with this sort of situation. I think it's time for some dedicated cold weather clothing. I figure I have my bases covered for cool to moderatly cold temps. What I need now is real serious cold weather system.

Still not sure which way I am going to go...

Thanks,
Dave