Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 12 gauge partition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hot Core,
I've taken a half a dozen whitetails with them but have never recovered a slug.

Wayne,
I shoot them in a rifled barrel. I'm not sure how they would shoot from a smooth bore. As far as meat destruction goes the deer I took were all shot through the chest. Pretty inpressive wounds but no lost meat. I would think a shoulder shot would cost some.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them and have taken 6 deer so far. They are fantastic if your gun will shoot them. Shotguns are funny about what slug they like. I have never found any remington that will shoot them. The winchester super-x and browning gold shoot them great out of a fully rifled barrel. Most of us in our group have switched to this slug, the others are using the Barnes bullet (which is good also). The one slug I recoverd looked like a perefect mushroom. Just like the picture on the box. I will not use anything else. The performance on deer is awsome - Bang - Flop!

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 870 with a Hastings rifled barrel would only shoot them in about 10 inch groups at 100 yards. The Federal Barnes and the Copper Solids from Remington would shoot 1.5 inch groups. Odded thing I have ever seen.

We don't have to use shotguns anymore here, so, thankfully, I don't have to shoot that mule kicker from the bench anymore!!