Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Elk hunting...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Can any of you recommend a good quality rifle Elk hunt in Colorado (preferably on private land) for under $5,000?

Open to suggestions....

(also, would New Mexico or Arizona offer better opportunities for this type of hunt?)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
New Mexico would fit that bill if you draw a tag, otherwise getting a rifle permit would put you over the top for your budget for a good area like Gila national forest.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All three states have quality elk hunting available if you are hunting in the right location. You should be able to find a good hunt available at that price, although it might not be on private land.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you want a private land hunt? Are you looking for a "guaranteed" hunt? You could do a public land CO hunt, everything included, for less then your budget.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
Why do you want a private land hunt? Are you looking for a "guaranteed" hunt? You could do a public land CO hunt, everything included, for less then your budget.

+1

You could get an elk tag and hunt on your own in Northwest Colorado around the town of Craig and stand a really good chance of taking a decent bull off public ground. The elk herd is huge up there, lots of public ground and the tag is available over the counter.

But, you'll have to do some leg work and actually hunt. If you just want someone the show you an elk to shoot, then I can't help you. All 25 elk I've taken have been unguided and on do it yourself hunts. Never taken a guided hunt in the USA. Not really my style.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not looking for a "guaranteed" hunt.....not at all (I could do that here in Texas). I would consider a public land hunt if it could be done from a permanent camp (house or lodge). I'm just not interested in freezing my ass off in a tent on a "pack hunt".....I would prefer a base camp.

So let me re-phrase the question.....

Does anybody know of a good rifle elk hunt, where one would have a reasonable chance at a 300"+ elk, and that is based out of a permanent camp?

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no lodge for us, But I think We should take up Flags offer to Colorado, That sounds like a great trip.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Flags (or anyone else),

Do you know of any lodge-based cow elk hunts in Colorado?

I'm following your advice (from our many arguments in the past) and trying to branch out, and broaden my horizons by hunting somewhere besides Texas.

A friend of mine just bought a vehicle on Ebay a couple weeks ago, and had to drive to Colorado to pick it up. When he got back he raved about how beautiful that country was....and now he wants us to make a hunt out there.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You might be able to secure a unit wide landowner permit for NM units 34/36 and stay in Cloudcroft. There are some nice hotels or B&Bs that might not be too unreasonable that time of year. The same goes for the 16 units over on the west side of the state. You could stay in Springerville or other little town. There was a huge fire over there earlier in the year though, so I'm not sure what the hunting will be like this year. I suspect there might be some fuller service outfits in both those areas that can offer more one on one attention, but I'm not personally familiar with them.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cotton Mesa would be more your speed. A "sprawling" 10k acres. A good 10ft fence surrounding the place to keep the rifraff out.. A bull of YOUR CHOICE AND SIZE freshly released just prior to your arrival just for your hunting pleasure. AWESOME!

Nice lodge too to rest your weary bones after your taxing and strenuous hunt. No tents or backpacks required at this resort! Cold chilly nights need not apply here!

It's in CO too, so you can even claim to have conquered the CO high country after you return home the triumphant hunter! Win/win!

http://www.cottonmesa.com/ranch.html

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could easily find lodging near most elk areas and make a short drive to hunting grounds. I know where I hunt the gas station has several cabins to rent. You would be ten minutes in any direction to hunt elk I will see if I can find any info online

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could easily find lodging near most elk areas and make a short drive to hunting grounds. I know where I hunt the gas station has several cabins to rent. You would be ten minutes in any direction to hunt elk I will see if I can find any info online

Thank you!! That would be great....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't found it yet, but I just came across this page while looking at stuff for my deer hunt this year, seems to be more like what you are after

http://www.trailblazehunting.c...lblazeTrespassHunts/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried like hell but I couldn't find even a phone number for the place in Sargents. I know they have about half a dozen cabins, but, I can't find a number for you to find out if they are pre-rented or have space or what. However, all through Salida and Gunnison are little dive motels you could live in and hunt very, very close by, all in prime CO elk country. Biggest expense will be the 600$ for an out of state bull tag (which are over the counter for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Flags (or anyone else),

Do you know of any lodge-based cow elk hunts in Colorado?

I'm following your advice (from our many arguments in the past) and trying to branch out, and broaden my horizons by hunting somewhere besides Texas.

A friend of mine just bought a vehicle on Ebay a couple weeks ago, and had to drive to Colorado to pick it up. When he got back he raved about how beautiful that country was....and now he wants us to make a hunt out there.

Check Elkhorn Outfitters. Fellow named Dodds runs it. They have several ranches under their control and are enrolled in the Ranching for Wildife program. I've actually hunted a couple of the ranches on the Ranching for Wildlfe tag, which is only available for residents.

I know they have a lodge/guesthouse. Don't know what it is like inside, but I've seen it when we were getting the paperwork in order to hunt. Huge elk herd in the area. We always hunted the late season there for cows and always filled. I don't think we got blanked a single time.

I have no idea what type of rates he charges since I always did the hunts on my own. But I know he has a lot of ground and a lot of guides and the Colorado Division of Wildlife issues him extra cow tags to keep the herd within desired levels.

I do know that he's got a website, but don't know what it is off the top of my head. But a google search should bring it up. I've heard good things about his outfit but other than hunting some of the ranches can't personally vouch for it. But I have never heard anything bad about him either. He is just north of Craig, Colo and easy to get to.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post