Find
Notify
Tools

Snowshoe recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

Does anyone have a recommendation for snowshoes? My land in northern NY received two plus feet of snow late last week, and it is very difficult to walk in that dep of snow. Thus, I need to get a pair of snowshoes, and would appreciate anyones recommendations...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're traveling in the woods or areas with lots of obstacles to step over and around the short fat ones are best (ie bearpaws) but if you're tracking longer areas with lots of strait goings the long narrow ones are my choice (about 10x60)

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Daughter and I have snowshoes by Atlas. We use these in Northern Michigan, when the snow starts adding up.
Here is the link:

http://www.atlassnowshoe.com/

Good luck, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
For deep snow you need floatation, for floatation you need surface area, for surface area those skippy modern snowshoes ain't gonna cut it.

I use medium Ojibwas, 11"x54". They are good for deep snow and will also do in brushy areas, just point your toe between stems and go.

http://snowshoe.com/index.cfm?...11&productid=402#402

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Go on the Internet. Someplace like Ebay. Buy a pair of military surplus snowshoes, pickerel type (Michigan or Maine type), with white painted magnesium frames and stainless steel wire. Toss the "bindings" and buy something decent. You'll never wear 'em out, they're rugged as hell, they're lightweight, they're quiet, and they're cheap. How can you miss?

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote