New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axis deer?
 Login/Join

<Spike>
posted
Does anyone have experience hunting Axis deer in Hawaii? What was it like? How did you do? Any information would be appreciated.

I've been invited to go on a hunt and am considering it.

<RAO>
posted
Axis deer,also called cheetal,on our side of globe,is without a doubt, one of the most beautiful deer,in the whole world.
It was introduced in U.S.A,in 50's, from "Lal Sohanra National Park,Pakistan;and also from western India.
I can only give you general ideas, since I have never hunted it due to its protected nature in my country,but in the time of my father it was the major hunted spices,but sadly poaching was and still is practiced in my country by the people who have no respect for wildlife.
Start from 7mm/08 and up.Calibers like .30/06,.270,7mmMag are ideal.The spices is quite tough and proper bullet placement is must.
Happy hunting,and may fine head and beautiful skin awaits you.

<Rusty>
posted
I took a nice Axis deer near Abilene Texas last June while hunting on David Guitar's Ranch. Used my 300 Apex 150 grn Nosler Partitions. I should be picking up mount the middle of December, I'll post a picture.
The meat is Awesome!

Rusty
We band of brothers

<Spike>
posted
Thank you Rao and Rusty, your information is helpful. In order for me to get a tag I'll need to use my bow which presents an even more difficult challenge. I'll be going with an older native gentleman that hunts them with a knife. Apparently he's well known on the island and waits in ambush along the trail (covered in mud and leaves) then sticks them as they walkd by. I know, I know...hard to believe but apparently it's true. Look out Rambo here I come.

If nothing else I hope to see a few animals and enjoy part of the island most never see.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Spike, if you go you must get a photo of your native friend in his hunting garb and post it for us. I'd love to see it. Which Island does he hunt on? I know hogs and feral goats are very plentiful in the Islands too so you should have some sport for sure.

------------------
~Ann

Every day spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote