THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    New Mexico Exotic Hunts [out of state draw]

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Exotic Hunts [out of state draw]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I see this was discussed in the past, but not recently. How many of you have attempted or been drawn for hunting the ibex, oryx, or, Barbary sheep (aoudad)?

How was it, what rifle, pictures, etc.....

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
When we lived there as a kid you could buy a Aoudad tag (two tags) for $30 over the counter.

I know both Oryx and Aoudad numbers have increased.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
This was my 5th year trying to draw Oryx tags & unsuccesful once again...

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
looks like some are posting on other threads about this too.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew an oryx tag in 1999 for the White Sands Missile Range. Took a nice oryx and had a great time. It is a very easy hunt as there are plenty of oryx. They are wary and fun to hunt.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
It's not as easy as it used to be. I hunted them in 2000 and it wasn't too rough. The G&F has been hitting them really hard though, and the animals are considerably more skittish than even a couple years ago. They're hunted pretty hard from September into March, and it shows in their behavior.

That said, there are still plenty of them on the range, and big ones are still around, you'll just have to work harder for them. Wink

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
wandering in the desert in search of awesome game???.............I am there....now to get drawn??????????????????

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
All those animals are draw hunts with the exception of Barbary sheep. You can still buy an over the counter tag for sheep on private land. I suspect you can search the 'net for sources. There was a fella here going by Pancho that had access to Barbary in SE New Mexico.

By the way, I've hunted oryx a number of times (just once when I was the trigger man) and ibex twice (with a bow). Both hunts are fun. Hunting ibex in the rugged Florida Mountains is much more difficult than chasing oryx in the desert flats or foothills though!

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just hunted White Sands Feb 1st for Oryx. I put in the last 4 years before drawing. It was a fairly easy hunt and fun to do on your own. I recommend it. Too bad they don't have more broken horn hunts so you would have a good chance to draw more then once per lifetime. If anyone wants more information on Rhodes Canyon, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I just learned I drew an Aoudad tag for New Mexico. Now I've got to figure out just where to go. Areas I can use my tag are 29, 31-34, 36, and 37.

You need to buy a lottery ticket, because you must be the luckiest person in the world, since the application deadline isn't until April and the tags are not drawn until June Wink.
(By the way, I do hope that you draw. It's a fun hunt).

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
By the way, since I don't come across as a smart aleck, of those Units, 32 holds the most sheep. Your best bet would be to pay a trespass fee on one of the ranches there, otherwise it is a lot like looking for a needle in a haystack.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I have been trying for the oryx but no luck yet, maybe next year or I'm just going to harvest one in Africa...with the old saying--one cannot complain if one dose not apply.. Good Luck lol

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Sure wasn't trying to call you a liar. Just implying that NM G&F sometimes don't have their act straight. Your application certainly shows successful, just questioning how G & F already awarded a limited draw license already when the application deadline hasn't passed.

Meant no harm, and hope that you did draw a tag and the 'cats didn't make a mistake.

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Ranch access will range from $200 to $2500 depending upon quality of animals on the ranch. Best bet for public land would be Unit 32 in the areas surrounding the private land. Look for the roughest country that you can find, and you will be close. Glass long, glass hard and be prepared to lose some boot leather.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I applied for a depradation Oryx tag. Not knowing and not having read the manual I applied for and was drawn for hunt durring July in any place in New Mexico but the white sands missel range. I had made my selection considering only what drawing had the best chance for sucess. Out of three chances I was drawn on my first oportunity. The odds were really good, better than one out of two for each of the three chances. I talked to and engaged five guides before I actually before I got into the field with Bob Atwood of Blue Mountain Outfitters. Teacher-educator about the animal more acurately describes his role in the hunt. I shot a beautiful animal with 36 inch horns after haveing chances at other animals with broken horns. The hunt involved driving the roads untill finding tracks that looked promising. Getting out of the vehicle and tracking, jumping animals and tracking. One close encouter with a ratteler and more tracking. The GPS indicated seven miles in A straight line, but we must have covered twice that distance as the animals seem to spred out than come together again. Amazing experiance, way different than the type of hunting we get to do in Minnesota.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot an oryx at WSMR in NM in 1988. I was truly lucky, as I got a tag the first year I entered the drawing. I shot a nice bull with 36" horns. I killed it with one shot at a range of about 100 years. The oryx was facing me, and I hit him in the upper torso/lower neck. The shot broke his spine; he collapsed like his legs were jerked out from under him. I used a 165 grain Nosler Partition bullet fired from a .30-06 Steyr-Mannlicher mountain carbine.

As an aside, it was the best tasting wild animal I have ever shot. Just like lean beef. Delicious!

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Thibeault:
I killed it with one shot at a range of about 100 years.

A range of 100 years? Wow, that *really* was an amazing shot! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant to say 100 light-years!!! You ought to see the scope I have on my rifle... It takes two men and a boy to carry that puppy!!!
Bill.

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Thibeault:
I meant to say 100 light-years!!! You ought to see the scope I have on my rifle... It takes two men and a boy to carry that puppy!!!
Bill.

See, you've got to catch up with the times. These days, a hi-tech savvy hunter will simply utilize GPS and the Hubbel to properly triangulate shots like that. Get with the program, old timer!

Thanks for the giggle. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck!
I just sent in my info to Cabelas tags, and an Oryx hunt was checked Yes on the application.
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by Badboyz:
Sure wasn't trying to call you a liar. Just implying that NM G&F sometimes don't have their act straight. Your application certainly shows successful, just questioning how G & F already awarded a limited draw license already when the application deadline hasn't passed.

Meant no harm, and hope that you did draw a tag and the 'cats didn't make a mistake.

Well it turns out my Aoudad tag is for a Population Management hunt. I spoke to NM F&G and they said that if needed they will call me and I have 24 hours to accept or decline a hunt. I am number two on the list but, even so, a call may never come.

On a much better note, I lucked out and drew one of 15 rifle permits for Ibex. I start my hunt two days after Thanksgiving. We'll see what happens and I'll post what transpires.

~

You drew my tag... I've been trying for years!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you made the most of your tag, despite the weather playing hard..

Congrats on a great goat.

Now rub some of that good luck off on me!! This'll be my 11th year trying for that tag.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent post! Nothing wrong with that billy - I'd be tickled with him. I too have been trying to get that rifle tag, but it's actually harder for residents than non-residents for ibex, sheep, and oryx. I've gotten to hunt them twice with a bow and really enjoyed it. Someday I'll put what I learned to good use and get one!

Congratulations!

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I tried for several years to get drawn for an oryx. Gave up and went to Namibia to shoot one.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
I tried for several years to get drawn for an oryx. Gave up and went to Namibia to shoot one.

Namibia??

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Scotty,
I don't understand. Did you read "ibex" where I wrote oryx?

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mistake... I did just that considering the content of the immediate previous posts..

Along those lines, I've done the same as you!! Forgone the long draw odds of the orxy in NM and am just waiting to get over to Namibia to get a really good one.
Now those ibex are a diff matter!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,
That is one nice looking ibex! Congrats.
I was drawn several years ago for the ibex small missle range. Had a chance at a decent bull but messed it up by trying to get too close. My buddy did take one out of the same group. It was nice but not like what Africa has.
I only say this b/c the reports I've read lately seem to say that 'trophy quality' oryx just aren't there any more.
It's a lot of money to put down in hopes of getting drawn each year. Yet nothing I saw coming out of there was worth bragging and I saw a lot of them.
If you want a wall hanger, contact a game ranch or go to Africa. If you want a really fun weekend meat hunt then this type of hunt is perfect.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote