Tools

Oregon Poaching Ring Busted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
From the Mail Tribune:

April 28, 2011

A ring of suspected Springfield poachers faces racketeering and other charges for allegedly stealing the identity of Oregonians to buy hunting licenses and tags they used while illegally killing as many as 300 black-tailed deer in eastern Lane County over the past five years, authorities say.

Nine Springfield residents were arraigned Thursday in Lane County Circuit Court on numerous wildlife charges as well as identity theft, forgery and computer crimes for their alleged roles in what the Oregon State Police called a criminal conspiracy they unearthed during a 15-month investigation.

Most of the poaching occurred in 2009 and 2010 on both federal Bureau of Land Management and private timberlands within the state's McKenzie Wildlife Management Unit and focused largely on black-tailed deer, though the group also killed elk, antelope and bear, according to the OSP.

Many of the animals were killed to fill tags for people who either do not hunt or had their identification stolen strictly to gain licenses and tags in their names, the OSP said in a Thursday news release.

The case broke open when one of the victims received an Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife envelope requesting a tooth from a black bear killed during a hunt be sent to the agency as part of a study, police said. When the victim told ODFW he had no hunting license or bear tag, agency officials discovered a license and tag were bought illegally in the victim's name, police said.

The case snowballed from there, culminating in January search warrants in Springfield and Eugene, police said. Seized at the time were 18 hunting rifles, 108 sets of antler, several hunting licenses and tags, keys to gates on private timberland, two whole poached cow elk and about 1,600 pounds of processed game meat.

The elk were poached just prior to the search warrants getting served, police said.

The wildlife offenses were all misdemeanors, but each defendant faces a racketeering charge that is a Class A felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $375,000.

The defendants, all from Springfield, were identified as: Shane E. Donoho, 37; Rory E. Donoho, 60; Gerald S. Donoho, 64; Laura A. Donoho, 36; Sandra L. Shaffer, 59; Danny M. Hawkins, 60; Miguel A. Kennedy, 26; Mary S. Normand, 61; and Shawn Stone, 48.

— Mark Freeman

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Jesus! I hope they get nailed to the wall.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the auhorities won't let them plea bargain down the felony.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hangem high!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Well, at least none of them were 18 or the God's of fairness and mercy would send down their rath.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a few minutes we'll have a couple of members come along that will tell us that it's no big deal and that pursuing this type of case is a waste of the state's time and money since it took a whole 15 months to bring the case to aa head.

After all, in their eyes, there is nothing wrong with poaching.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flags- Amen to what you just said.

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Roast 'em!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Wll depends...if that Laura of 36 years old is a blondie model that enjoys hunting I think is not fair to put her in jail...just send her down here Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're in luck Lorenzo...I'll pay for her plane ticket....

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck rotflmo

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In some cases there is monetary gain. In some cases it is just exactly like alcoholism or gambling or smoking, a "Habit".

It gives the poacher an adrenalin rush or makes them feel superior that they are killing animals as they please and the authorities are nmot able to catch them.

From my experiences hard core poachers, rarely reform, they are like an alcoholic or any other addict. They may clean their act up for a while, but given the opportunity they will pick the habit back up.

For some it is a contest, they want to see just how many times they can kill something and get away with it. For some it is a business, from selling the meat to people to selling the antlers for money or trading them for drugs.

For some it is simply a case of thumbing their nose at the goverment of the state or states where they are poaching. They feel that they do not have to obey the written rules and regulations as other mere mortals do.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
In a few minutes we'll have a couple of members come along that will tell us that it's no big deal and that pursuing this type of case is a waste of the state's time and money since it took a whole 15 months to bring the case to aa head.

Lawbreakers should be punished yes. However "suspected" lawbreakers should not be declared guilty based upon a internet re-quote of a newspaper article.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
you're in luck Lorenzo...I'll pay for her plane ticket....

troy

Wow !! she is a beauty !!! rotflmo

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's no big deal. Pursuing this type of case is a waste of the state's time and money since it took a whole 15 months to bring the case to aa head.

After all, there is nothing wrong with poaching.

Perry
Cool

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,How did my daughters pic get here! She looks jus lik my cister.

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

More woman talk, from a bitch who doesn't listen. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu/DTS posted 03 May 2011 18:55

And, he shows! Got to have the right bait to get old DTS to bite. Like most bottom feeders he just can't pass up a morsel just lying there.

Don't know what he said since I have him on ignore, but I imaging it is his usual drivel!

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, he shows! Got to have the right bait to get old DTS to bite. Like most bottom feeders he just can't pass up a morsel just lying there.

Don't know what he said since I have him on ignore, but I imaging it is his usual drivel!

I sure hope you have great tits, cause your brains are going to get you nowhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu/DTS posted 03 May 2011 22:15

Drivel filter still operational. Bye Bye PUNK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still here, woman. stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They "Caponed" them. Good for them. Find something with some teeth and make it stick.

Out of curiousity, what kind of population is there that they can kill those types of numbers?

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the problem. The population numbers probably can not stand that kind of pressure and have legal take by hunters added to it.

Poachers will find and wipe out all of the animals in pockets, which result in lower numbers in the entire unit.

Every GMU in every state can only support just so many animals and most of the time those animals are restricted to pockets of habitat in those units.

Poachers locate these concentrated pockets of game and shooty everything they can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the subject at hand... while the article indicates this was a 15 month investigation, authorities have been receiving complaints about the Donoho family for 8 years and some of the evidence obtained actually goes back 6 years. Search warrants were only issued just after the first of this year and credit should be given to those involved that brought the light to bear on these pukes. I'm thinking that one State Police Officer may have even come out of retirement to work on the case.
Identity theft is a Class C felony in Oregon, punishable by up to 13 months in prison for a first offense.
My understanding is there were MANY offenses.
As someone already said, "hang 'em high".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can only hope that they never see the outside again.
What they did was flat stealing.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

More woman talk, from a bitch who doesn't listen. Roll Eyes

Knock off the personal insults smarterthanu

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
quote:
Ignored post by smarterthanu/DTS posted 03 May 2011 22:15

If you are going to ignore him, then ignore him. You are just instigating more of the same.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knock off the personal insults smarterthanu

Canuck, do you have a personal interest in Flags? I have noticed he is allowed to call anyone on here any name he wants, while being as insulting as he pleases, and you say nothing to him. What's the deal here. I agree that we should ALL be more civil.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Let's hope the state gets get a good judge on this, some judges have been known to be extremely lienent on game violation cases.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote