New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefinders in the field
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was curious how many folks actually use a rangefinder on their hunts? My first elk hunt last year was a real eye opener to me at just how bad my range “guesstimating” is. During that hunt I occasionally borrowed my partner’s Bushnell to verify things I had misjudged the distance.

I am planning my next trip out West, another elk hunt in 2004 and I am contemplating purchasing a rangefinder. I have narrowed down my choices between the Bushnell Legend and the Leica 800. There are some deals on these models since the 900’s came out. I would like some feedback on these from folks that have hunted with them. Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Last year my dad and I were on a bluff overlooking some cotton fields. When we found a buck, he hit it with the range finder (came up 268yrds) and let me know. That allowed me to use the Ballisticplex reticle on my Burris and drop him. [Smile]

I would like to think that I would have been reasonably close eyeballing it, but knowing for sure was nice.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I had never really used one before, but borrowed my Dad's for a recent antelope hunt. On the plains, where there are few landmarks, range is very deceptive. I found it very handy, though I often had to range a cholla or other bush near the antelope rather than the critter himself. After my experience last weekend, I am contemplating one myself...

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be inclined to go with the Leica brand rangefinders. Not that I think the Bushnell is bad. I just am a big fan of the Leica's..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both Bushnells and Tascos. I would like to try the Leica, but I'll still be saving my pennies for a while. The only time I found them handy was hunting coyotes, I never had the chance to use them on any big game at long distances (the game keeps showing up at short distances). They would probably be great for pronghorn. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<David King>
posted
I've been using laser rangefinders for many years now. Very rarely do I go hunting without one on my person.

There's a little technique involved to get accurate readings in some cases. If the range is obviously wrong check your technique, you could be ranging an obstruction in front of or a more preferred object beyond the critter.

I've found that it's terribly important to keep the lenses clean and un-scratched. Dirt, dust or scratches will degrade the rangefinder's capabilities. Keep the batteries warm in extreme cold...frozen batteries are a problem...I often carry extra batteries in an inner pocket and swap out if needed.

In bright environments it's sometimes difficult to get a reading...high altitude and snow (Colorado elk hunting scenario) will/may shorten range capabilties.

On the Bushnell models I've found that it's a good idea to tape the battery compartment closed as the latch system will let you down.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
C-Roy,

Tagged on the end of this is what I wrote about rangefinders in THE GEAR chapter of my HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER BOOK.

Keep in mind, though, that most of the guides and dedicated Coues hunters depend on long-range glassing to locate the little desert deer. So they often wind up with longer shots. That's why many of them won't go afield without a good rangefinder.

As for the utility of one for elk, it depends on where and how you hunt mostly. For example, hunting elk in the pinyon/juniper country of AZ or NM is not that unlike hunting Coues deer. In contrast, if you'll be hunting in big timber country, the need for a rangefinder will not be as much. -TONY

RANGEFINDERS
Some folks think of a rangefinder as one of those �for the guy who has everything� items. Yet knowing the exact distance from your position to a deer can mean the difference between missing it, killing it or seeing it run off wounded. With the popularity of glassing game from afar, knowing the range is even more important now as more hunters are taking long 350 to 500-yard shots.
A rangefinder can be quite handy to have even if you�re a guy who recognizes his shooting limitations and sticks to short-range shots. In this case, a rangefinder will quickly let you know when you�re within those limitations.

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've only taken my new Leica into the field twice varmint hunting, but I used it frequently to test my ability to judge distance. That was a real eye opener. Some say ignorance is bliss. When it comes to shooting I'd say ignorance has darn little to recommend it. How do I feel about my range finder, I'll never leave home without it.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C - Roy,

Just used my new Leica 1200 on an antelope hunt today - works great. Optical clarity is excellent.

I'll trade you my good used Bushnell 800 for a box of CW 1035.

Send me an email.

WY.

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have been using a bushnell yardage pro 800 for six years and always take it while hunting.
I wear the thing around my neck and use it the same as binos.

It will read instantly to about 300 yards. Sometimes it takes a second to read to 600 and is really picky at 600-999 yards.

My next one will be a leica 1200. Not because I shoot to 1200 yards but to get quicker readings to 500 or so.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned 3 different rangefinders over the years. The first one was a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 and was impressive (at the time). After that, I purchased the Nikon Laser 800 (same unit as Bushnell). It worked fine up to 400 yards but after that it would get a little sketchy. David also hit on my biggest pet peeve with that unit, the poorly-designed battery hatch. I also wasn't a fan of the 8x monocular because it was difficult to use at close range for bow hunting. I now own a Leica LRF 1200 and am thoroughly impressed with the optics, display, and ranging ability.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leica!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not be seen in the hunting fields (in most locations) without my range finder these days. Even if sometimes, there is no time to range your target, when stand hunting I often range 3-4 points just as I get to the stand. Then I have a reference if a suitable critter should pop up. Otherwise, a rangefinder is perfect for a shooter/spotter (or client/guide) team.

These days, I think the best you can get in range finders are the Leicas. Some of the other brands may range as far as the Leicas do, but apparently the laser of the Leica is better focused, plus they actually have very decent optics. Buy the best you can afford! Don't be fooled into thinking that you'll never need the ability of a Leica 1200, say, because you won't need to shoot further than maybe 3-400 yrds. How far away you can range an item depends on parameters such as: reflectiveness, size and orientation of the surface you target. So although your rangfinder may say "600 yds" on the side, that does not mean you can get a reading on any item out to 600 yds. The more powerful your device, the better your chance of getting a reading from where you want it.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use a range finder for years now hate to be with out one. My pro 1000 is still going strong when it dies. I am going with a Leica 1200 unless something better is out there then. Just got done with a trip with the bushnell a nikon and a lecia the leica out preformed the rest.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I appear to be the exception - I don't take one afield and I swear I never will. I hunt roe deer on big arable fields. They are small and the fields big and featureless.

It's a question of minimising the consequences of making a mistake by having your rifle set up correctly and applying some common sense. For me with my 6mm rem zeroed at 175yards:-

0-200 hold dead on
200-250 hold 3/4 way up body
250-300 hold top line if it's 200 you'll still kill it (but wreck the saddle)
I doubt anyone shoots further than this on roe, I regard 250 as my limit.

If I feel the need for a rangefinder I know I need to get closer. This is nearly allways possible with some effort.

I allready have to use a spotting scope and binos before I go to the rifle scope, another piece of eqpt is not desirable or necessary.

I do have a rangefinder which I will zap known landmarks with when scouting a new piece of land or putting up a stand.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I am one of the last to get a laser rangefinder. I used various methods over the years like pacing everything off so to be good at estimating (of course I was not that good) and using the reticule to estimate range.

Now that I have one I can see how far off one can be once in a while. Other times the estimates without one are good enough for big game around here in the Northeast USA. Like anything it's one more gaget to keep track of.

For hunting varmints, with the .22LR, a muzzle loader, air rifle, bow, handgun or even a low velocity centerfire they can help a lot.

I only carry mine varmint hunting so far and have no other use for it. I don't shoot at big game very far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own a rangefinder, but have borrowed them on occasion when I'm likely to be shooting at longer distances. I've found that, as someone who has played a lot of golf over the years, my estimation abilities are pretty darned good, as in, "That elk is a good drive and a five iron away (410 yards)." The rangefinder, when I've carried it, has served to confirm my estimation.

So for me, I'm not in a hurry to get one, and if I were to get one of my own, I would opt for a fairly compact model, as I hate to carry around more than I need to - I'm on the wrong side of 50 and it constantly surprises me how heavy my pack has gotten and how much steeper the hills are. Another option I would consider is to wait a few years and see how good the combined binocular/rangefinders will become. They're just starting to appear on the market now, and while they're not getting rave reviews, I'm sure that the technology will improve in short order.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
<coyote control>
posted
The Lecia's that I now have (Geovids) go with me on every hunt. I have had them for 5 years now and still on the same battery that came with them.

Just love them!

------------
Coyote Control

<waldog>
posted
I'm with 1894. Personally, I feel it's a completely unneeded contraption. I don't fault those of you who spent your hard earned money on these doohicky's, if they help you hunt and shoot better, more power to you and best of luck! But, this is my thinking when shooting at big game: it's all about PBR. No, not Pabst Blue Ribbon, Point Blank Range. If you know the PBR of your rifle, you only have to guess at one yardage-- the maximum range you can hold dead on with the bullet striking the vital zone. Up hill, down hill, on the flat it don't matter. Just put the cross hairs on the critter and squeeze. Beyond the PBR you'll have to add a little Kentucky Elevation. Sound too simple? If a rifle has a PBR of say 300 yds, does it matter if your yardage guesstimate is off by 15, 25, or even 50 yards? Methinks not. What if the target is beyond the PBR? Okay, can you tell the difference between 200 and 400yds? If so, then give it some extra elevation or save your brain cells and just get a little closer.

FWIW

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I like the post about point blank range . But the rangefinder isn't that big and hardly weighs anything at all.
I can tell the difference between 200 and 400 yards but one time I did have some trouble.
A buddy of mine and I were hunting deer on Kodiak Island and spotted a buck at what we guessed to be 450 yards. So we took a good rest and four shots with nothing. Searched the spot were the buck was standing with no sign of a hit (the buck didn't even run off just walked into the brush and left)
The next day we went to the same spot except this time I took my rangefinder and the distance turned out to be 650 yards [Eek!] . We would not have bothered at that range.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are attempting shots beyond the max. PBR of your load/target, you're going to have to apply guessing (or experience). When you learn to shoot tactically afield though, your percentage of 1st shot connections beyond the MPBR WILL increase dramatically.

[ 09-28-2003, 10:39: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've played with them all and my new Leica 1200 is quality. It aquires distances fast and in any light and the optics are superior to the other manufacturers. I use it to bow hunt, but it's a must-have for rifle shots in the 4 to 8 hundred yard range.

<Savage 99>
posted
Yesterday the laser rangefinder was part of some excitement. I spotted a woodchuck standing in a new cut meadow at very long range. There is a cornfield in a hollow between me and the chuck. I always try to get closer to the game but this would have ment walking thru hundreds of yards of very high corn.

So I got as close as I could and put the old Swift down on it's low bipod setting and got out the Leica 1200 scan. In a second it confirmed 510 yards. I looked it up on the Pointblank runoff I carry and the elevation calculated out to 4.6 inches at 100 yds. I spun the Stoney Point elevation turret I just added and got ready to shoot. This was quite a rush of excitement for me as unlike decades of guessing I knew I had a really good chance at the shot.

Alas the chuck went out of sight! Due to circumstances of some cows etc. I let it go.

I know darn well that a 500 yd shot at a chuck would have been just about impossible without a laser or walking them in with a spotter.

The laser is like a GPS. It's a device that opens up possiblities yet one does not have to use it if you don't want to. What could be better than that?

<waldog>
posted
Whew.... I'm glad RMiller and sscoyote understood my reasoning straight off. I was woried that might be mistook for a flame post... Whew! Anyway, I should fess up and admit that I do indeed have a range finder myself. It's great for varmint shooting, verifying ranges, etc, etc. But when it comes to pure Big Game Hunting, where action can happen quickly/unexpectedly, I contend that you are better off having oneless (and preferrably many) less things to worry about. I know for myself-- and have seen it first hand in other hunters-- distractions (ie. rangefinders, scope magnification, bullet drop compensators shot angle, bipod/shooting stix, etc, etc)have ruined what was otherwise a perfect oppertunity.

sscoyote is right, technology is never a substitute for experience.

That said, it in my mind it boils down to this: When the moment of truth comes, you just gotta believe. Believe in youself, you equiptment, your practice, your experience, your skill. It ain't that hard folks. Strip away all excess gear, needless doodads, and frivilous technology and I gaurantee most of us are much better hunters and marksman than we give ourselves credit for. Of course, a few will be far worse [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink] , but that's not the point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own a Range finder, never thought I needed one. Of late I pretty much went back to fixed 4x on my hunting rifles. One of the things I notices was that if it looks to far in a 4x then its to far. I rather carry a good set of Bino's. Yea I know there is a Bino with a laser range finder. To each his own.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C Roy,

We (a buddy and myself) do a lot or woodchuck hunting in the summer. Managed to kill 74 this past summer. He has had a Leica Geovid for about 6 years now. I use it on occasion. Last fall I purchased a Leica LRF 1200 and it works great. I used it last fall elk hunting in Colorado.

If you set-up in a spot and use it to range specific trees or rocks you then have a mental distance known to those areas. Then when the animal comes out you can say to yourself, that tree was so far and I know I can kill that animal. Or, that tree was beyond my abilities to cleanly kill the animal.

Basically, no more guessing.

I would recommend the Leica's. They have a narrow beam which I think works better then a wide beam.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If I were to try antelope hunting it might be a welcome instrument but I havent yet, too many horror stories about the meat. For coyote shooting Id like one, but thats all in fun anyway IMHO. For big game I agree with some like Waldog, its been my experience that many good shots at big animals dont last long, your mileage may vary but thats what Ive seen. If its what I consider a long shot (6" drop @ 300yds) then I aim just beneath the spine. If its too far Ill know it and try to get closer. That method hasnt failed me yet.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of killsoft
posted Hide Post
How are the combination binocular/rangefinder? Pretty good or poor compromise of both?

Thanks.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Killsoft,

I you are talking about the Leica Geovid then you have the best of both worlds. Fantastic binoculars and a great laser range finder. If you were asking about the Leica LRF 1200 its a great range finder but I would never consider it to replace good binoculars.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wind River, a line of optics made by Leupold, makes an 8 power binocular with a built-in rangefinder. It's really no heavier than the average binocular of that power and field of view, but it's getting so-so reviews. Go to Leupold's website and have a look.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Waldog. His summery of MPBR and only using two holds, dead on or at the top of the back, as worked for me for years. Elk are the primary animals I hunt and there is alot of room in the kill area if I miss my estimate a little. I think back at all the animals I have taken and almost all of them happend very fast. Very few of them would have allowed time for a range finder to be used. The funny part is the ones that I would have had time to use a range finder are the ones that were close (less than 100 yards) and I would not have needed one. After many years of hunting I have am a firm believer in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) because I have found that Murphy's law "any thing that can go wrong will go wrong" is really true while hunting.

[ 09-30-2003, 23:13: Message edited by: MtElkHunter ]

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As already stated, they are an excellent training tool. We have lease hunting mostly over here so I usually take it to the leases I hunt and measure from the critical stands, overlooking the open fields. This in order to get an udea and to identify "landmarks". After that, it usually stays in the safe unless I have a chance to hunt in the mountains.

One gentleman wrote that 250 yards (225 m) is his absolute limit for roe deer. I totally agree for a critter this size. Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I had a range finder from Leica in the past and sure they are nice. I think that some people are tempted make shots at ranges if they got a range finder, but very few of them will have an idea of the bullets trajectory.

I would like to own one again, but I would use it for hunts in areas I wasn't familiar with. I guess it's part of the packing when you go for ibex, sheeps etc.

Has anyone used the Swarowski CT 75 and 85? They have some sort of estmated range that is possible to read on the tube [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

Ask about the CT75 over on the European forum as I think 1894 and Deerdogs use CT75's

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 'cheap' CTC (no detachable eyepiece)- it has no rangefinding capability and no marks on the tube.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Pete, 1894 and deerdogs

I found a real dream shop [Big Grin] [Razz] [Eek!]
www.aaacamera.com

The only bad thing is that it's soo damn far away

Cheers
/ JOHAN