Find
Notify
Tools

Discounted New Mexico Cow Elk Tags
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I have discounted 4 New Mexico Cow Elk tags for this year. The hunt can be taken anytime from now through March 31, 2003.

The normal hunt price:
Privateland Cow Elk tag: $500
New Mexico Tax (6.1875%): $31
New Mexico license: $305
Total Hunt Cost: $836

Discounted price:
Privateland Cow Elk tag: $350
New Mexico Tax (6.1875%): included
New Mexico license: $305
Total Hunt Cost: $655

This hunt can be taken anytime from now through March 31, 2003. These are free range Elk, not a fenced ranch hunt. New Mexico allows you to validate your private landowner tags for any 5 days within their timeframe of Oct 19 - March 31.

Lodging is not included on this hunt, but we can arrange for lodging at a local farmhouse for a reasonable fee.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ok, $300 instead of $350 ...

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
All 4 of them for $1000 ... and that is my final offer!

[ 01-25-2003, 04:20: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
What zone would these be in? I have friends I could stay with in Los Alamos if it's anywhere near there.

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Unit 48. Los Alamos is a long drive, probably worth the $20 or so per person to stay right in the middle of the Elk herd.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Ok just to avoid beating around the bush any more where is the hunt located.
Unit 48 does not mean squat!
How about the nearest town?

LouisB

Just an opinion of course

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I've got a rather dumb question here...

Can one person buy all 4 tags, pay the state of NM $305, then trot on out there and shoot 4 cow elf for $1,305? Just thinking it'd be a heck of a way to try out a couple different bullets and loads.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muleshoe:
Well I've got a rather dumb question here...

Can one person buy all 4 tags, pay the state of NM $305, then trot on out there and shoot 4 cow elf for $1,305? Just thinking it'd be a heck of a way to try out a couple different bullets and loads.

Wouldn't that be great? [Big Grin]

I do not think it is possible though.

Sorry for the ambiguity on the area. It is in Ocate, New Mexico. You will find it in the San De Cristo Mt. range on the eastern edge of the middle third of the state, in the Northern part. It is south of Cimmaron or SSW of Raton.

[ 01-26-2003, 23:31: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

<Okie Newton>
posted
I am real tempted to take you up on that but I would have a tough time telling the principal I needed that much time off. Teaching school is not as nice as some think. Cant't go in the fall now I have a chance to go and still can't.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I used to work the firetower in that area in 69 and there were elk everywhere around Whites Peak and this permit and access is in that general area, unless there is something weird, it should be great hunting. In fact I still have some bear grease rendered from a volunteer from that area. [Roll Eyes]
BEST leather treatment on earth!

Depending on where this is from Ocate, one could stay in Las Vegas (the REAL Las Vegas, the one in NEW MEXICO) and commute up, though winter camping would provide for a lot more rest and hunting time!

For the flatlanders, beware, one can have some real winter weather in this area so go prepared.
Is camping allowed on the ranch?
How many acres available to hunt?
Are they down in winter range on the land for the permits?

LouisB

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Is camping allowed on the ranch?
Yes, but I would pay the $20/person/night to stay in one of the ranchhouses on the ranch.

How many acres available to hunt?
About 1/2 of the entire Unit will be available and accessable. There will be plenty of land available, although I do not know the actual acerage. It will be easy to see what we have as there is pretty much a definite line down the middle. We hunt one side and the other big landowner in this unit hunts the other side. It is legal to hunt the public land too.

Are they down in winter range on the land for the permits?
Yep. They pretty much hang out in the alfalfa fields. When one of the public seasons opens, they will retreat into the trees until the pressure dies down, then they are back in the fields again. They should not be hard to locate since all the public seasons are long gone, it shouldn't be all that difficult to find a few Cows.

I told the outfitter that I was going to take these tags for me and a few of my friends. Then we decided to go to Tanzania instead, so I didn't think spending the money on a Cow Elk hunt was a very good idea.

Dang Tanzania is expensive!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
One more thing. Anyone who wants to do an affordable Bull Elk hunt in the future, should conside this Cow Elk hunt. The Bulls will still have their antlers now.

You can get a good idea of the area and the unit, (and the Bull Elk!) then decide if the Bull Elk hunt is for you.

I have a semi-guided Bull Elk hunt here (including the private landowner tag) for:

Price of hunt $2500
Tax $155
Elk License (Bull) $495
Total Hunt cost - $3150

The rules are the same on this hunt as the Cow Elk hunt. Same area, same licensing system. You can validate your tag for anyt 5 days from October 19-March 31. This gives us the freedome to hunt the week before all the public seasons open.