New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a buffalo hunt...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been thinking about a buffalo hunt for some time now. I do have one question.

What to do with all that meat? My family could never go through that much meat in year. Also we would have no place to store it. For those that have gone taken a bison.

What did you do with the meat?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

posted Hide Post
I donated about 400lbs. to a youth ranch. They got some fine meat, and I got a tax deduction.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
In the same vein as George's reccomendation, here's a story on the very subject from today's paper:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2003/03/12/news/bisonmeatbzbigs.txt

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quail Wing,
I have the best Bison "hunt" in the world, it is truly a hunt not a shooting fest..The bulls are wild, smart and fun to hunt..It is a challaning hunt....You have to pay a little more for this. The lodge and food are 5 star...3 days and 4 nights..$2750.00 per hunter...

The meat can be donated in total or partially, and the ranch will take care of that for you. You can have the head and hide sent to your taxidermist or I will take care of that for you....

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Bison hunt was a true one but the meat was, unfortunately, not importable from Canada due to some legal issues. In my case, the meat went to members of the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations in The Yukon Territory and I was OK with that. I saw it as giving the local moose population a temporary governor's pardon. [Wink]

I think you should keep all the meat if you can. Shoot the thing in the winter when the hides are best. To keep the processing costs down, butcher the quarters yourself in your snowy back yard (your neighbors will love the way this makes the snow all red and pretty [Smile] ) and buy a big freezer. Big freezers are relatively cheap and, if you have the space, a worthwhile investment. In fact, if you butcher the thing yourself the savings will nearly pay for a proper freezer. Further, keeping all of the meat will give you and/or your wife practice at making one variety of meat into many different tasty dishes! Let's see . . . Bison Burgers, Bison Steaks, Bison Casserole, Bison Stir Fry, Bison Tacos, Bison Lasagne, Bison Pizza . . . [Big Grin]

Seriously, if you have any questions feel free to email me. [Big Grin]

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

[ 03-12-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To keep the processing costs down, butcher the quarters yourself in your snowy back yard (your neighbors will love the way this makes the snow all red and pretty [Smile] Let's see . . . Bison Burgers, Bison Steaks, Bison Casserole, Bison Stir Fry, Bison Tacos, Bison Lasagne, Bison Pizza . . . [Big Grin]
[/QB]

John, got to love it! [Big Grin]
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Chris Long>
posted
Buffalo jerky. Lots of buffalo jerky!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho,

I watched a documentary recently about some folks who lived in a very isolated cabin in the Alaskan Bush. TThis place was so remote that they had books flown in to school their children something like twice per year and the trek to town via snowmobile was sometimes life-threatening if the weather turned bad. Thier primary souce of protein was, not surprisingly, moose. When discussing her cooking, the wife quite literally rattled off a list of dishes similar to mine but substituting "Moose" for "Bison". It was quite funny. I'll bet chicken is a real treat for those folks. [Big Grin]

Best Regards,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote