Find
Notify
Tools

Just doing my part ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
to make the world safe for Bambi.

It was about 8:45 Saturday morning. I hadn’t seen any deer for about 20 minutes and was contemplating getting out of the stand when I caught a glimpse of her in the grass. I was hunting a large field with some tall grass and slight hills and draws in it. In some areas, the grass is tall enough and the ground low enough that critters will just disappear.

She was heading west to east a couple of hundred yards north of the stand. This direction would take her into a treeline and up a hill where I wouldn’t be able to see her. So I pulled an electronic call from the pack, hit the fawn bleat button a couple of times and put the gun out the window. In just a few seconds, she popped out of the grass trotting down the edge of the treeline. She got to about 130 yards and stopped. I was lining up to shoot when she started trotting toward me again. This time she stopped about 80 yards away and turned broadside to me. I aimed for the lungs and squeezed.

The 85 grain Sierra BTHP from a .243 Win puts the whap on coyotes. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything hit the dirt harder. One leg twitched about four times and that was it. I took the picture of the teeth to show my kids. The 7-year-old said the coyote needed to go to the dentist. I tried to explain the purposes of the different teeth, but she wasn’t interested.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
nice hide!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Very nice coloring on the ole girl.

Good job!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur, very nice looking coyote. Some can look awful scraggly.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look like she's missed many meals. As has been said, nicely done.

Good on ya. tu2

Will be two weeks since I've been in the field. Rarin' to head out Friday morning. My son and I will be hunting "ol' big".

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. This coyote was in excellent condition. Maybe the best I've ever seen. I was a little surprised given the conditions we've had this summer.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I think the drought can actually help animals such as the coyote. Small game and birds have to congregate near the few available food/water sources, and the predators quickly catch on.

As to the coyotes, keep the lead flying... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I called in a coyote within 20 yards last night. Had him right between the eyes with the crosshairs, squeezed the trigger and "click". Damn misfire. First one from that rifle or my hand loads. Bambi better watch out because he's still on the loose.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote