THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range (Alaska)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range (Alaska)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Gents (and Ladies),

I'm looking for some input about hunting Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range.

Should point out right away, that I'm an Alaskan resident, so all the Guide stuff doesn't apply, although a good transporter/outfitter recommendation would be welcome.

I've hunted Sheep in the Wrangle/St Elias NP a few years back, but we didn't see any legal rams at that time. There was one half curl, one three quarter curl, and a bunch of ewes though.

My hunting partner and I have both already hunted Mt. Goats up here, and have some clue as to what's required to hunt above the treeline. Still, any suggestions are always appreciated.

Living down in the 'banana belt' (S.E. Alaska) we don't know alot about what's available up north, and were hoping to hear some first-hand experiences from you guys here.

Thanks!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I hunted the Ivishak River with Larry Rivers for Dall sheep three years ago. Camps, transportation, equipment and food were good. I was the only one of eight hunters that didn't fill his tag. All the heads I saw were under 37"- with maybe one 38".

I passed on a legal ram first day into the hunt, and got pinned down by weather for the next two days. I never saw another ram afterward.

In the air on the way out, we saw the first group again two hills over to the south.

http://www.larryrivers.com

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

BW, I am wondering if you will use that 416 Taylor, the same one you shot that awsome big black bear with, or will you use something else.I am sure you could load that 416 taylor with a 325 or 300 and have a very flat trajectory that would work for sheep.I am not sure how much your 416 weighs if not to much it would be okay.Say hi to Big Stick for me when you see him. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Wayne, thanks for the tip.

Kev,

Nope, I wouldn't take the 416 Taylor, just plain too heavy and the range, even with 300gr bullets just isn't there.

I just picked up another 'lefty' M70 Classic in 338 Win Mag, and will work up some lighter 210gr loads, either Barnes X (if they'll shoot) or Nosler Partitions.

Thanks for asking. I'll tell Big Stick you said 'hi'.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote