New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second day of Wis hound bear season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Received a call from my hound hunting friend said that We could go hunting Thursday.

Left the house with my son In law at 5 am arrived at the first bait site at 10 to 6 checked the game cam had about 6 different bears on it most of the pictures the evening before. Sows cubs and 1 nice bear.

Checked the 2nd site and had 4 bears big sow 3 yearlings and a couple of wolves.

One of the other guys had a bait that had one decent bear and one about 150lbs at day light we dropped and couple of dogs on that bait and 10 minutes later they were treed.

When we arrived at the tree we found the smaller bear took pictures and left. The bear came down the tree as we were leaving.

Found a bait site with a very nice bear on the cam that had came in about 11pm. We put the dogs down and about an hour later they treed.

A couple of guys walked into the tree and found they were barking up a empty tree.

Who knows stuff happens.

Took a lunch break and went back out about 3 checked the baits and looked for tracks.

I found a very nice track about 4 and we put are best cold trailer on it and tried to get it going. But the tracked turned out to be too cold.

Well I am busy for a couple of days and next time I'll be able to go out well be Monday.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I always wondered about the hound hunts and if a larger bear would climb (or could climb) a tree or if they generally run til tired and turn and fight.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Good luck. I always wondered about the hound hunts and if a larger bear would climb (or could climb) a tree or if they generally run til tired and turn and fight.

Yes some times I seen large bears say over 400lbs up trees. A lot of times the really big bears don't run much but just walk along turning and swatting at the dogs now and then.

One has to sneak into them and shoot the big ones on the ground.

I have been busy with other things and haven't been out again maybe Monday.

My son has a tag also and we have 5 days of bear chaseing planed starting Wednesday.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote