Find
Notify
Tools

Elk In Velvet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Does anyone know if it is possible to hunt elk while they're still in velvet? I'd really like to collect one while it still has it's beautiful orange summer coat.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
You could probably shoot one on a game farm still in velvet. As to actual state hunting seasons, pretty sure AZ has some units open in early/mid September, they might be the best possbiilty.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get one in velvet if you hunt the archery or black powder season in Colorado. The hunts take place in the Sept time frame. Not all the bulls will still be in velvet, but some are. Years ago I took a huge spike (before they went to the 4 pt or better law) that was in velvet. The spikes were 26 or 27 inches long. Stll have the horn mount in velvet back home in Colorado.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm a rifle hunter, so it looks like I'd have to do it in Texas or on a ranch. It's not really the horns in velvet, but the orange coat that I'm after.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens- You can hunt on an Indian Reservation in Utah through Bucks & Bulls Guides. They have mid August hunts availible. Any September hunt will be fall coats and polished bone.

If you only want a cape, I would contact an elk farm and ask how much they would sell one for. Many of the larger ranches slaughter some bulls shortly after they "harvest" the velvet antlers. Do a google search.

You might even find an extra early cape through a taxidermist from an August archery kill.

Seems a waste of good money to go shoot one on a ranch just for the cape.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
MC, I guess how I phrased my sentence came off wrong. I am looking for some antlers as well. the real reason I want to go on a hunt like this is because of the orange summer coat. I have all my animals mounted and I wanted to be able to enjoy the beauty of the elks orange summer coat. Antlers, as long as he has them I'm happy. I could never think of buying a cape to use, if I didn't shoot it, it's not going on the wall. Thanks for the recommendation in Utah.