THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .270 with winchester 130gr. balistic silvertip

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 with winchester 130gr. balistic silvertip
 Login/Join

posted
Has any one used these for deer. How will they do at 400 yards on a coues whitetail. what about a shoulder shot.

Posts: 25 | Location: Arizona, USA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It will do just fine on any Coues deer and at any reasonable range. You're talking about a 130 grain bullet and a buck that may weigh all of 100 pounds. So it doesn't matter if you have to shoot through a shoulder; the bullet will do the job.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I agree.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Nothing but happiness would await the well placed shot under those circumstances and at that range.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It'll do just fine.

One idea for you to consider: the 140 grain Accubond. They're a little more accurate in my accurate rifle, they're just a little tougher bullet, and they trajectory is a bit better. A few pluses over the BT, and no minuses. The Accubond is my go-to bullet in a 270 when hunting smallish Texas whitetails.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Az,

I used that bullet 3 seasons ago loaded to about 2950 fps. I shot a nice doe--fairly good sized, actually--through both shoulders at about 70 yards.

The bullet had a slight, downward angle. It left a massive wound channel with an exit wound the size of a tennis ball.

Deer ran about 30 yards and expired.

Good luck this fall!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had good results with either Nosler Ballisitc tips, or CT Silvertips, basically the same bullet. I was working up a load using H4831 sc pushing a Nosler 130 Ballistic Tip for an upcoming moose hunt when I got rained out a few days ago. The last group I fired looked promising. I have an antlerless tag so I'm going to be looking for the smallest moose I can find, a good eating model. That's going to be followed by 5 deer hunts. I'm confident enough in the bullet to use them on moose.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerK:
I have an antlerless tag so I'm going to be looking for the smallest moose I can find, a good eating model. That's going to be followed by 5 deer hunts. I'm confident enough in the bullet to use them on moose.

Moose???? Have ever seen a moose in person?

I wouldn't recommend the use of a ballistic tip on anything other than a deer sized animal. 130gr is a bit "light" in weight for a moose, as is the 270 (my favorite caliber-got five of them and one in the making). Don't forget, where there is moose there is bear (often grizzly), I know I would like to have something bigger than a 270!! And certainly a bullet designed for said animals.

I now use TSX exclusively in all my big game rifles, from 416 Rigby, 340 WBy, 300Win, all my 7mms and my 270s (130gr in my deer rifle and 140s in my travel rifle).

I only use ballistic tips/varmint bullets in my 22-250, and Hornaday in my K-Hornet.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC, he did say the smallest cow moose he could find--but I know what you're are saying....

AZdeerslayer, I think the 130 BT is perfect for most whitetails, and certainly coues deer. Your setup should be perfect for that hunt!

Good Luck on your hunt--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think the Btip will always be a source of controversy.

I recently spoke with Jason, I think his name was, at Nosler. He shoots a 7mag and 150 Btips for everything. He related to me that he dumped a bull elk last season with a 150 Btip at 140 yards, no problem. Bullet exited.

I'll stuff a stouter bullet myself.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I think the Btip will always be a source of controversy.

I'll stuff a stouter bullet myself.

Agreed.

I think though that strike one and two are: .277 and 130gr. Strike three is the BT.

Inasmuch as I love my 270 and do not use the '06, it is indeed a jack of all trades in that an 180gr 30-06 is a good enough recipe for moose.

P.S. I just love having a shitload of guns. As such, I believe in specialization and having many guns in different calibers rather than just one well "overall" rifle.

But I don't like 130gr 270 for moose, too light, no matter the bullet.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
I shot my 270 Weatherby Mag at an antelope at 180 yards with a nosler ballistic tip and it blew a 5 inch round hole in the hide on entry. I will never use a ballistic tip again. I just shoot barrnes X now. More copper to get out of the barrel but its worth it.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used this bullet personally, but have seen several medium sized PA whitetail taken with them. They are quick expanding bullets, but I did see them blow through the shoulders of a fat buck at bow range. Several of my hunting buddies love the factory load version for deer.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
The .270 Win, and 130 g. BT will do very well for what you propose, from my experience on Coues deer, AZ Mule Deer, and Antelope. I have used BT's and my .270 exclusively for AZ Deer hunting and Wyo. Antelope hunting since Nosler introduced them. They are accurate and well designed for the .270

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
quote:
Originally posted by RogerK:
I have an antlerless tag so I'm going to be looking for the smallest moose I can find, a good eating model. That's going to be followed by 5 deer hunts. I'm confident enough in the bullet to use them on moose.

Moose???? Have ever seen a moose in person?

I wouldn't recommend the use of a ballistic tip on anything other than a deer sized animal. 130gr is a bit "light" in weight for a moose, as is the 270 (my favorite caliber-got five of them and one in the making). Don't forget, where there is moose there is bear (often grizzly), I know I would like to have something bigger than a 270!! And certainly a bullet designed for said animals.

I now use TSX exclusively in all my big game rifles, from 416 Rigby, 340 WBy, 300Win, all my 7mms and my 270s (130gr in my deer rifle and 140s in my travel rifle).

I only use ballistic tips/varmint bullets in my 22-250, and Hornaday in my K-Hornet.

I've seen lots of moose up close. Last year got to within 20 yards of 3 while hunting elk in Colorado.

Plan was to use BT when I posted the above message, but riflt wouldn't cooperate. BTs wouldn't shoot in the thing. Swithed to Barnes 130 XLC. They shoot. And I drew a cow tag so I'm going after the smallest antlerless moose I can find.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote