Find
Notify
Tools

poachers
 Login/Join

<FAINA>
posted
Hi hunters,
I think that in many hunters are also a little bit poacher-spirit. I'll not say that every hunter is a poacher wenn he have the possibility, but sometimes, in some condition we are. What's your opinion about.
Thank you
ciao
FAINA

one of us
posted Hide Post
When a student there were thousands of rabbits on the campus I was, I had time to take 15 (during one year, you will agree with me that it isn't excessive) of them with my airgun before they catch me. That was poaching, but there were so many rabbits, and we prepared great barbecues... good memories.
Forbidden stuff has always seemed attractive to humans, and innocent poaching like this can be fun. Commercial poaching isn't.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAINA:
Hi hunters,
I think that in many hunters are also a little bit poacher-spirit. I'll not say that every hunter is a poacher wenn he have the possibility, but sometimes, in some condition we are. What's your opinion about.
Thank you
ciao
FAINA

You must be associating with the wrong type of people. Of course, if that is the prevailing attitude in your country, it may explain why there is very little huntable big game left in Italy.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At risk of exposing too much of my past. When I was a youngun' we used to poach Pheasant with a piece of stovepipe, a screen, a handful of corn, and a gunny sack. I was only 10 or 11, and haven't done it since, so no lectures please. I still feel guilty.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
I'm with George on this one. Anyone who has seem my posts on this subject knows where I stand on the subject of poachers. Any one who has seem my posts on the subject of my 1989 "accident" should understant why I feel that way. Nuff said.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Crawfish:
I'm with George on this one. Anyone who has seem my posts on this subject knows where I stand on the subject of poachers. Any one who has seem my posts on the subject of my 1989 "accident" should understant why I feel that way. Nuff said.

I�m fond of hunting , but poaching - no , thanks ! A boundary is a boundary and one should be decent enough to respect it . And catching/shooting/killing any deer or birds on a territory where I�m not allowed to - again NO ! My hunting licence is valuable for me , valuable enough to resist any temptation !

one of us
posted Hide Post
So crawfish,please bring everybody that doesn't know about your "1989 Accident" up to speed on it.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Poaching ??

I guess you found the wrong neighbourhood for this type of question. I guess the Italian attitude about laws and fair play runns thru all part of the society. Thats why you have mostly uneatable animals left.

I have never poached any game. I shot something like 60-80 cats that were missfitted and considered pest. The farmer who owned these poor animals wondered where the went. Most neighbours like that they decreased.

My poaching was done with hubb cap of cat food and a 22 lr semiauto rifle with silencer or My fathers SMG and good load of mags.. Great fun!!! The shooting took place from my bedroom window or Mothers rosegarden house.

JOHAN

<500 AHR>
posted
Johan,
In most US states that would not be poaching, it would be cruelty to animals. As such it carries much more dire circumstances. For instance were I live poaching is a simple fine and confiscation of your firearm. Cruelty to animals is a fine and a jail term (typically 6 month or a year). The number of cats you shot might get you the death penalty! (just kidding but you probably would be in jail for a year with a $10000 fine).

We here in the US owe this to the bunny huggers who love animals more than life itself. If they had there way all the wild game would be allowed to over populate and starve to death. This they believe is natures way. These individuals are neither logical or rational.

Poaching is wrong and I do not condone it nor participate in it. I have shot many deer over the years as vermin, but I had the permission of the State. In the US the States not the land owners own the wild game.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only do you have to pay a fine, in Texas you can pay restitution for the game taken. At one time the restitution for turkey were $500 apiece, while the fine was usually around $250. Restitution for deer start at $250 and go up, depending on size, sex, etc. At that rate ground beef is a lot cheaper.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't poach or condone poaching,but its amazing how it always gets peoples blood boiling and pissed off.
To a certain point,I believe alot of people are just jealous that they didn't get to kill the animal themselves,not so much pissed off at the poacher.
The states also talk up poaching alot more now days,since they've raised fines and it generates alot of revenue and lines alot of pockets.
If you took a hundred mile stretch of interstate in any state,you'll have more animals killed by vehicles,then all the poaching combined.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<awknod>
posted
Johan, If you were to kill that many cats or "decrease" them as you put it. here in the states they would start looking for the chinese restaurant owner you were selling the meat to.
mystery meat at the buffet!

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Here is a poaching story that is currently happening to a close friend.
My friend is recently seperated and going through a divorce (wife left him for a higher dollar model). After having 3 members of her family testify against her and state that their daughter was better of with the father, she decided she had to do somthing. Not having the norms, abuse, adultry(she had that covered) etc. to use againset him she phoned the local game officer and told him that her husband had been poaching for years and she seen him do it. One Claim is he shot a deer on her tag...putting her in violation as well(other stoty). We have two game wardens in the area, one a well respected person who liked by most of us here. The other, young and READY to make a name for himself. The younger of the got the warrent, on her word and they raided his house. Found lots of game meat, all legal, a live raccoon in a pen, illegal, and a dead swallow hanging in the rafter of the barn to ward off the others(old farmer trick, and the bird had been there for two years)also illegal. During the raid they took several packs of meat, a rifle she claims he used(hasnt killed anything in 10 years, it was broke until I repaired the floorplate about a year ago) and a handfull of pics. One of the pics shows a this raccoon in a roll cage with hound barking at it(very common tool used to train coonhounds all over the country). The BAD part, he now faces Felony animal abuse(due to new laws passed in 28 some states) for the coon in the roll cage, misdemenor charges for keeping a live animal without a permit, and in possesion of an endangered bird(swallow). First off the officials must not get out when these birds come through as I find it hard to belive they are endangered. ANyway he stands to loose the right to keep fireamrms and hunt because of a call, made stating that he was poaching.
PS. DA wont deal want to get him on the felony and set a bunny hugger standard!

Where I am going is that the states are serious about poachers as stated by a previous post, and animal abuse can be a felony if found guilty in some states.
Kinda off topic but tied in a very scary way.

Tread lightly gentleman, and forget the stick, make mine a 375H&H!
JAG
Oregon

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
This is for RMK; Short and sweet, September of 1989 I called the law on some local tresspassers/poachers on my property. They were caught in the act of field dressing an out of season doe on my property. October 14th 1989 as I was getting into a lock on tree stand again on my own property the chain broke, I fell 14 feet, broke my neck and destroyed my right shoulder (that is why I only use hand guns now)lay at the bottom of that tree for 14 hours until my youngest son found me. Sheriff said that the chain had been cut on that and all of the other stands I had up. Up until November of 2000 I used at least one cane to get around, many days required the use of two canes. I can no longer hunt from tree stands, need an ATV to get into the woods, use only handguns to shoot, do not give permission to hunt/fish my farm anymore and as I post this high fences are being put up around the whole 5300 acers. Many changes had to be made by me and my family after the "accident".
BTY the two tresspassers were found guilty, fined $50.00 and costs ($85.00). Person or persons unknown who cut the chains were never caught. At least when I fell I didn't land in a fireant mound.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

<FAINA>
posted
Hi hunters,
George: here in nord Italy we have many big game animals, not so much like in Montana but it's ok. You can not say that in Italy all or most hunters are poachers. This is an opinion that some people have but most of this never come in Italy and don't know the hunting laws and situations. Sure here in Italy we have some poachers but you have no one in the USA???? I'm not sure.
My topic is only a question, I have my personal opinion about poaching, and sometimes in some conditions I can understand this, specialy wenn your countrys are all national parks and where you father and grandfather live now you can't hunt or do anythink they does for many years. In this case I can understand poachers and sometimes I'm a poacher why this is our town!!!
thank for all reply
ciao
FAINA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't poached, but I have been sorely tempted.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Poachers get a round of bird shot in the ass from my shotgun if I see them on my land.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper06>
posted
During the great depression and afterwards, my Grandfather poached to keep himself, wife and 2 daughters fed. As I grew up (around my Grandpa) I too was a poacher on whit tails and such, only I didn't know it until I was about 13 or so. He had always told me so long as that critter was on his land, he owned it. I had no idea there were such things as hunting seasons and liscenes and such till I was in high school. I just thought "game wardens" were evil men trying to keep a feller from putting meat on the table. LOL Since that time, I learned about laws governing such acts, and have never, in my adult life killed an illegal animal. I have passed many a good shot because that game was out of season. BUT, in hard times, I would resort to putting meat on the table regardless of any laws of man. Call me what you will.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Sniper06,
What you describe is not poaching. That is survival.

Poaching is taking it without the need, out of season and/or on someone elses' land without permission.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
So if an African fella who rarely can afford meat other than a scrawny chicken poaches a bit of kudu or a duiker for meat, or even some ivory for a new bike and some cash, then that's also just survival?

Or is it double standards?

------------------
John
alias Nitro

NitroExpress.com
communities.msn.com/NitroExpressCom

[This message has been edited by NitroExpress.com (edited 04-26-2002).]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta put in my 2 cents here;

First off I am all for order and the golden rule. As far as the current state of call in anonymously, however, gestapo hogwash!

There was an incident in cody wyoming where a young man was feeding widows (1930 ish) with elk and deer out of season. game warden wanted to be sherrif and decided to use the young man to do his politicking. Short of it was he deputized two of the man's friends to arrest him, he shot them. he was finally killed by a boy with a 30-06 in town. My father knew the game warden, said he could field dress a deer behind a pickup faster than anybody he knew. Bottom line I am with RMK - most of the hubbub over poaching is for revenue or someone's steps up the proverbial ladder.

As always "Follow The Money" and you will find the truth.

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
My $0.02 is as follows:

If someone is hunting where he shouldn't be, he's a tresspesser. If someone is taking game for survival, who can blame them? But poaching is different in my eyes. I think poaching is motivated by greed. Motivated to the point of total disregard for the law-of-the-land, any ethical code, and a respect of wildlife. Poachers despise responsibility and acountability for their actions. More importantly, poachers are NOT ignorant of their actions!

Poaching is a selfish, unquenchable thirst. Greed.

Personally, I see bending and breaking regulations (though legally wrong) in a different light than poaching.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and definations...

<BigBores>
posted
Subsistance hunting is not poaching. I believe at least in most western (?) states there are laws that state subsistance hunting is OK (?), if you can prove economic hardships? A guy that shoots a deer to feed his family is not a poacher. A subsistance hunter cares not for rack size, only meat to feed a family. A subsistance hunter isn't going to try to shoot a B & C bull elk out of Yellowstone Park for instance.

A guy that sneaks into a preserve, or private land or whatever to shoot a "trophy" either out of season or without a tag/permission is a thief. Poachers are vermin. I would report any poacher I saw and help get them prosecuted whenever possible. Stealing is stealing, and it robs from all of us. It's not about us "legal" hunters being denied the chance to shoot "that" particular animal. It's about that animal being illegally removed from it's gene pool, prematurely, and unable to sire quality offspring that benefits it's herd size and strength. In most states game numbers are carefully managed for the health of the game, not for the maximum number of animals that can be killed. It defeats game management efforts if poachers screw up the strength of the herds. It's also about the idea that the collective whole of citizens "owns" the game in this country, and poachers are stealing that game from everyone. I want my grandkids to be able to hunt healthy game populations 50 or 60 years from now.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Note my comments above were not aimed at any post on this topic other than as an observation.

We criticise Africans for poaching and wiping out (potentially) numerous species for "nyama" (meat), but we would think it is OK for one of us to take an animal for meat, not legally, if we needed to eat. (????)

------------------
John
alias Nitro

NitroExpress.com
communities.msn.com/NitroExpressCom

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"A keeper is only a poacher turned outside in, and a poacher a keeper turned inside out."

Charles Kingsley
The Water Babies, 1863

From the frontispiece of Ragnar Benson's Survival Poaching

quote:
Originally posted by FAINA:
Hi hunters,
Thank you
ciao
FAINA

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote