THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    190 SMK ?? for P Dog Shooter and anyone else with SMK on game EXPERIENCE

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

190 SMK ?? for P Dog Shooter and anyone else with SMK on game EXPERIENCE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read the thread on your 300 yd elk with a .300 WinMag and 180 SMK. OUTSTANDING!

After a couple of successes on wild hogs at 675 yds with the 190 gr SMK I am feeling confident enough in it that I believe it is as effective as the 180 or 200 GameKing. Am I wrong?

What is your opinion of the max and min range and the largest North American game that should be taken with a .300 WSM and 190 moly SMK? My mv is 2981 fps but will most likely always be between 2940 and 3000 even if I change powders.

Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruff, if you don't find what you're looking for here try www.longrangehunting.com for SMK info. There's a thread somewhere in this place that's like a gazillion posts long...lot of divided opinion on the SMK for hunting use. Luck.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
RuffHewn,

Welcome to the forums.

Here is the Matach King thread my friend Dan mentioned.

Match Kings

Posts: 67433 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I have used the 190 Sierra MK outta a 300 Win mag, launched a 3k fps. The only game that i had tried it on has been woodchucks and the net result has been that the bullet just punched a 30 caliber hole through it. I know woodchucks are not much of a challenge for this bullet or caliber but this has been my result.

Larry Weishung (< spelling [Eek!] ), i know from his articles, has shot quite a bit of game with Sierra MK's. The last article i read was a 300WSM or Win Mag and he was using the 190MK, the deer dropped to the shot.....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

That thread is quite a long read.
It seems that everyone who has used SMKs on game are happy with the results. The ones that have no experience are most hostile and insistent their opinions supersede actual facts. Is that fairly accurate Reader's Digest version of the 34 pages?

Last week I took 2 hogs with 190 MKs from 675 yds, one through both shoulders and one in behind a shoulder and out through the other. I do not believe either hog took another breath after impact. I am fairly sure the first did not make a sound since the others did not react at all.

Back in the '80s I used a .300 WinMag 190 competition BTHPs on whitetails with no bullet exit and could find nothing inside identifiable as a bullet. There was nothing identifiable as lungs left either. I quess it is a matter of opinion if that was bullet failure. I used Hornadays and Sierras so I can not say for sure which those bullets were.

Again, thanks for the help.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote