THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    New Mexico Pronghorn - How big do you think he is?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Pronghorn - How big do you think he is?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Just for fun, what is your best guess on the size of this New Mexico antelope buck?

I took these shots in mid November.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's not huge but a pretty nice one. I'd guess him about 15" and would probably score in the mid 70's.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Pancho. Wouldn't be suprised if he went into the high 70's but I can't see him breaking eighty. I think 75 is very reasonable judgement here.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I thought he was respectable, but I don't get too excited until I see those white tips. Not sure why, but I really like that!

Pancho, this herd was in your backyard... Just west of town. The county commissioners have that area ranked as top 2 most corrupt places I've ever been to. (I live in the other). The amount of public land the commissioners (who, by no coincidence, are also the biggest land owners) have blocked access to with road closures is staggering. It's frightening how much control the public has given them. Sad really. Unless things were to change, I won't be back.

This is in GMU 32. Here is one of many "Closed by Order of the County Commissioners" blockades. There were countless county roads, as seen on a large county plot map I bought at the courthouse, that were recently closed. These roads ran through or adjacent to private property but lead into public land. These are crooked tactics to politically commandeer resources owned by the citizens for their own use. Total bullshit!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'd plug him

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree, I think that buck would make 80. He has good mass, good cutters, and lots of horn above the cutters.

Funny story, on an antelope hunt one time we were measuring some heads we had collected that day. One of the hunters ask the guide if his buck would make 70. The guide responded "only if you put him in the back of my pickup and we go down the road a ways".

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
"only if you put him in the back of my pickup and we go down the road a ways".

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of mass also-i would guess him around 80 also. sure worth taking anyway.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
Thanks for the response. I thought he was respectable, but I don't get too excited until I see those white tips. Not sure why, but I really like that!

Pancho, this herd was in your backyard... Just west of town. The county commissioners have that area ranked as top 2 most corrupt places I've ever been to. (I live in the other). The amount of public land the commissioners (who, by no coincidence, are also the biggest land owners) have blocked access to with road closures is staggering. It's frightening how much control the public has given them. Sad really. Unless things were to change, I won't be back.

This is in GMU 32. Here is one of many "Closed by Order of the County Commissioners" blockades. There were countless county roads, as seen on a large county plot map I bought at the courthouse, that were recently closed. These roads ran through or adjacent to private property but lead into public land. These are crooked tactics to politically commandeer resources owned by the citizens for their own use. Total bullshit!

Its worse up north. Still love it here though.

I saw one about that size next to the road, running north on the east side of the Sandias

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say...
click from the safety being disengaged,
then boom from the firing pin striking the primer and the resulting chain of events it starts.

I also think he is better than 15 and would bet much closer to 80 than 70.

I have a 79 on the wall that measures 15 inch in length. He looks to be a tad better than that.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I'm with the more bullish folks on this one. I think he would make 80. Of course at first glance, I thought he was 15 pretty handy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutters are not big and not heavy on the bottom.Maybe 15",but not a biggie.That said a good last day Buck.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
He is probably 15 but pic #3 shows he has no mass, very thin right horn. I say 74"

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenati,
That's a great picture of Troy Floyd's gate going up to his house. Troy would love for you to come hunt his private land - for a fee.
You need to live here before you cast stones. We didn't recieve any "Fed stimulus" to keep the roads open and the County Rd Dept is BROKE big time so every time we can close a road and no longer maintain it, that is $ in the pocket for the road dept. Maybe they'll eventually have enough to come work on my road, which is not closed.
Rancher's want the roads closed because that eliminates lots of problems with livestock being shot/stolen, windmills and water storages being damaged, and good citizens driving the roads in wet weather, getting stuck, and generally tearing the hell out of the roads we have to drive everyday. I wish there was a better solution but as of now, plan on more road closures all over the state.
Maybe after Martinez is sworn in and Obamavitch is out of office, we can open up some oil drilling that will put $ back in the coffers and aleviate the pressure on the County Rd. Dept. A better solution would be the neo-paganist enviros realizing that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't see 80 but think he will break 78
as other have said, good but not great prongs
squeeking 15 on lenght and decent mass.
great goat but if you are looking for a booner... keep looking
course we are judging him by a photo....

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
Kenati,
That's a great picture of Troy Floyd's gate going up to his house. Troy would love for you to come hunt his private land - for a fee.
You need to live here before you cast stones. We didn't recieve any "Fed stimulus" to keep the roads open and the County Rd Dept is BROKE big time so every time we can close a road and no longer maintain it, that is $ in the pocket for the road dept. Maybe they'll eventually have enough to come work on my road, which is not closed.
Rancher's want the roads closed because that eliminates lots of problems with livestock being shot/stolen, windmills and water storages being damaged, and good citizens driving the roads in wet weather, getting stuck, and generally tearing the hell out of the roads we have to drive everyday. I wish there was a better solution but as of now, plan on more road closures all over the state.
Maybe after Martinez is sworn in and Obamavitch is out of office, we can open up some oil drilling that will put $ back in the coffers and aleviate the pressure on the County Rd. Dept. A better solution would be the neo-paganist enviros realizing that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Pancho, thanks for the reply. And, most importantly, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I don't want to start a pissing match here, but let's be perfectly upfront. No state or county needs "stimulus" dollars to run a grader down a road a few times a year. Let's be real! Your state, along with California (my native state before it was completely ruined politically and economically), Arizona, and a slough of others harboring resource-sucking scum are wasting their tax dollars on social programs and welfare. THAT is where your money is going instead of the roads. Asking for more federal handouts is the whole reason New Mexico and others are in this abominable mess to begin with!

We can argue until we are blue in the face, but I will NOT change my position on the bullshit way those roads were closed... through political wrangling in lopsided commissioner meetings. I spoke with Troy and his son. Both nice men, but the facts are facts. This is OUR land and I, along with every other working American, make a payment on it every April 15th. My access to it should not be controlled by a bunch of chicken shit commissioners and land owners that think they they have more entitled to them than they do.

Look, I know what it's like to be landowner and all the headaches that come along with it. We own 3,000+ acres including a large portion of a seasonally flooded lake bottom (try enforcing those boundaries). We have a county road that runs right through a long portion of our property that ends at my boat launch. Have I had shit stolen? Have poachers taken deer off of our land. You bet. Countless times. However, that doesn't give me a right to close the road by political means or otherwise so that people can't access what is beyond my property line. That's the issue here. It has nothing to do with paying for the fuel to run a grader down a road. The landowners don't seem to have a problem affording to do, so I know the county wouldn't either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crooked public servants overstepping their authority, bull ropes and strong trees go together real well. 100 years ago there would be some swinging dicks! Oh, yes that is a nice buck and I would drop him without thinking twice.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote