New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crow Indians & poaching case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Our illustrious indians here in MT who have shot most of the game off the reservation are now hunting off the reservation and attempting to blow smoke up our asses stating a treaty from past gives them the right to hunt off the reservation and kill whatever they want. One of the wagon burners was a lieutenant with the Crow Agency Fish and Game. They shot three nice bulls in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. They plan to appeal the fines and etc and waste more of our tax payer dollars. Canadians have the same problem with the Metis shooting bighorn sheep in the premium areas. When are the indians going to realize they lost the war and need to follow the rules like the rest of us. They can hunt on the reservation all they want !

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Whoaaaa! What a time warp. DNR should hire Shoshone scouts and hit em before green up! All kidding aside, game regs are here for a reason. Poachers are poachers

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Throw the book at 'em !!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The absolute gall of them to expect the Feds to honor a treaty.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
The absolute gall of them to expect the Feds to honor a treaty.

And the absolute bastardization of same?

How many other well-intended programs/treaties/laws that have been abused beyond recognition do you support?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So who exactly is it that gets to pick which laws/programs/treaties are valid?

My point is that our government agreed to the treaty then reneged upon its word. I try to stick to my word and would like to see my government act in a similar manner.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My point is that our government agreed to the treaty then reneged upon its word. I try to stick to my word and would like to see my government act in a similar manner.

How do you know they did??Show us what was violated.Not what you THINK was but the actual wording of the Treaty and how it was violated. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome research the treaty yourself....I have work to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A "Treaty" in this case was a definition of a relationship between two nations at that time and forward until changed by both or repudiated by one. There are multiple legal options to change the relationship, but the U.S. government lacks the will. Relationships change after 100 years or more. Remember we changed our relationship through modified and repudiated treaties with the Soviets. We can easily bring our treaties with the various First Immigrant Nations, up to the modern day realities.

Remember these treaties were forced on the Indians. This was no fair negotiation. We could do it again.

I witnessed 5 Nez Perce do a drive by on a cow and calf moose here in Idaho.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slaughtering animals just because "we own them" on and off the rez isn't covered in any treaty I assure you. Most are just left to rot.

I have a close bud who is married to an injun. Do you wanna know why their homes are filthy? Because heaven forbid an injun tries to keep a tidy yard and clean house they are ostracized for "trying to be like the white man".

Wars have been fought and lands conquered from the dawn of time....and the conquering of America was no different. It wasn't pretty but the bullshit has to stop with our native folks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your welcome research the treaty yourself....I have work to do.

So you don`t know and are just parroting something you heard.If you make an accusation you must be prepared to back it up with facts.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Slaughtering animals just because "we own them" on and off the rez isn't covered in any treaty I assure you. Most are just left to rot.

I have a close bud who is married to an injun. Do you wanna know why their homes are filthy? Because heaven forbid an injun tries to keep a tidy yard and clean house they are ostracized for "trying to be like the white man".

Wars have been fought and lands conquered from the dawn of time....and the conquering of America was no different. It wasn't pretty but the bullshit has to stop with our native folks.
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmm? If I remember correctly, Boulder, Colorado is located within the former (pre 1851) Southern Cheyenne-Arapaho territories.

1851--Treaty Guarantees Land to Cheyenne and Arapaho. In 1851, the Indians in present-day Colorado - the southern Cheyenne and the Arapaho - signed a treaty with the American government guaranteeing that no whites would come into their territory.

1858--Gold Rush in Colorado; Treaty Broken. Just seven years later, in 1858, Colorado, however, was the site of a gold rush. Gold was discovered at Pike's Peak and settlers came pouring into the Platte valley, the Indians' land. A new treaty was quickly written up, that ordered the Indians to leave the settlers alone and steer clear of soldiers. Only 6 of the 44 chiefs signed the treaty, but the American government held it as valid.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Slaughtering wild animals outside reserves or anywhere without consideration for the future of wildlife, is not right.

Is it then right to exterminate entire tribes and disinherit them and their future generations for eternity?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not to be taken lightly. The state of Montana is accommodating the Nez Perce' via treaty rights that allows the tribe to come over and "harvest" bison migrating out of YNP without regard for quotas, as opposed to licensed hunters who have drawn the permits through FWP. Since this policy started the number of buffalo and the number of Nez Perce coming to kill them continually ramps up each year. The vast majority of buffalo killed in Gardiner this year were taken by the tribal hunters. Yes, YNP has a problem with too many bison, so FWP and YNP are not considering this being a future conservation problem, only a population control solution. The rest of the bison killed in the slaughter pens are also distributed to the Indians among various tribes.

However, less known is the fact that the Federated Kootenai Salish, via treaty rights, are hunting moose in the state of Montana anywhere and anytime they wish on a number of hunting districts. Anyone wishing to draw a moose tag in Montana and hunt would be well advised to find out which districts are being hunted by the Flatheads because the population density is being effected in a downward trend. Can't always blame the wolves or the grizzlies for the drop in moose in the Big Sky.

Now comes the Crow Nation claiming treaty rights granted in 1858 to hunt a vast area of Montana and Wyoming. Tom is right. If you're driving across a reservation in Montana at 2:00 a.m. go ahead and floor board the Chevy, because you don't have to worry about hitting a deer, elk, bear, or anything else......... there ain't any,except of course an errant driver or hitchhiker heading home after the bars close in Billings or Ashland or Cutbank or Plenty Wood.

Just saying............this has the makings of a real "you know what." Those on this website from the northern Rockies had better pay attention and be prepared to get involved. How you get involved is your choice. As for me, I favor the North American Wildlife Conservation Initiative. It has worked pretty well for public ownership and management of the wildlife resources for quite a while now.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same BS is happening here in the UP of Michigan. They lost the war, the county was taken over its 2015 not 1848. If they want to hunt, fish and trap according to a treaty written in the 1800's. Then use the same equipment they had available then.

In December deer migrate to my property to yard up for the winter, one border is state land. Indians can hunt deer on any federal, state, county or township property. Several years ago a tribal officer and a DNR officer came to my house to arrest me for hunter harassment. What happen Indians park on my property line shoot from there trucks at any deer coming off my property, I have a trail around the perimeter fence. They said I would drive up and down the fence line to stop the deer from crossing. The officers told me if I agreed to quit riding the fence line they would not arrest me. I told them they have no authority to tell me when and where I ride on my property no laws were broken, I never stopped when I passed by there truck.

While we were talking my wife called State Police and county Sheriff. They arrived after a hour of talking it was agreed that they would ask the indians not to hunt on the property line just in case a wounded deer came on my property, and I wouldn't stop with in sight of them.

I told the County Sheriff that if he waited by the only trail coming out of the state land at dark, he might observe someone drinking and driving, I had picked up empty beer cans where the Indians parked. About a week later the Sheriff stopped by for coffee, he told me that he observed a truck coming off the trail on to the main road slide side ways. Pulled them over smelled alcohol and saw empty beer cans in the back of the truck. They were both arrested for drunk driving, open intoxicants, rifle not in a case, loaded firearm in a vehicle, untagged deer.

Here in Michigan Indians get 10% of the special draw permits, they don't even make up 1% of the population.

Posts: 426 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent a few days on the Crow Reservation about 10 years ago and found the place to be totally devoid of all game. Even the road signs had been stolen/defaced/removed. As soon as we got clear of the res, we saw antelope, deer, etc. in great numbers.

From what I saw, their "conservation" methods left much to be desired.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep asking myself, how can you manage Wildlife for it's very existence, if a significant part of the population is above any regulations ???? Same thing here in Canada.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
We approached aboriginal rights a little different here in the Republic of Texas. We let the Mexicans defeat the aboriginals and then we defeated the Mexicans while General Santa Anna bedded down with the Yellow Rose of Texas (a biracial indentured servant). That's how we roll here in Texas! Cool

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Was looking into a free roaming bison hunt on the Crow res several years ago. Prices were good and a few guys had decent hunts....then a high up B&C exec lost about $4000 with not so much as a day of hunting to show for it. Shelved that idea right quick!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw this BS myself in Quebec Canada , in the late spring while fishing at my friends outfitting place. The injuns would shoot the geese right off their nests ,saying it was their right to do so !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the Casper Tribune:

SHERIDAN — The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is investigating the illegal killing of three elk in Sheridan County.

The elk were killed on private ranches northwest of Parkman. It appears the elk were shot from the road.

Two of the three elk were mature bulls. The head and some meat were taken from one bull, but no attempt was made to retrieve the head or meat of the other bull. The third elk was loaded whole and removed from the kill site.

Game Warden Dustin Shorma said the last two winters there has been an increase in elk poaching activity in the northwest area of Sheridan County.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote