THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wounded vet bags his first x-bow hog with the help of Accurate Reloading sponsors

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wounded vet bags his first x-bow hog with the help of Accurate Reloading sponsors
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sgt Witham’s hunt was made possible largely in part to the donations from the Accurate Reloading crowd. Specifically; MHC_TX, BWOODIE, TRACTORRED, LJS, BUDCAT2, MALEK, VAGROUSER, JDOLLAR, JIMATCAT, CRAIGC&C, MISSISSIPPIAN, MICHAEL ROBINSON, LEE 440. If I missed anyone I am truly sorry, it is not due to a lack of appreciation, only lack of brain power on my part tonight. Guys please send me your addresses so I can get the hats and thank you cards out. Rob really wants to make sure that he gets one to everyone.
For those of you that missed the donations it was in the classifieds and started out as myself looking to purchase a x-bow for him to use. It turned into an amazing outpouring of support.
Here’s where it started..

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/8041045361

With everyone’s donations we were able to outfit Rob with a crossbow, bolts, broad heads, scope, cocking rope, sting wax and rail lube. The man truly had tears in his eyes when I presented the package to him. I can not express my gratitude towards everyone… It has really been truly something special in his life. I have seen a change in this man’s attitude towards life in general over the last month and a half which I believe is due quite a bit to everyone reaching out to him.
We were talking about what the donations had meant to him one evening and he said, “Imagine giving up the majority of your life to the defense of the country and its people that you love. Along the way you pick up shrapnel, 2 broken legs, and destroy your right shoulder. You take crazy medication and get exposed to chemicals that you are not sure what they are. You are medically discharged, but your disability pay doesn’t come through like they have told you it would, and you get so sick of fighting with the VA that you feel like nobody cares about what you gave up… . Then you find out that you have cancer and probably won’t make it to 40. I really thought that people didn’t care about my service or what I have sacrificed.
When I saw how much complete strangers were willing to do to allow me to go on some hunts and spend extra time in the woods with my kids, it changed how I thought of things. I really feel like people care, and that my service has meant more to them than I ever understood. It has changed my life and how I look at things.” My words and remembrance here can’t even come close to capturing the emotion or the significance that was behind everything he said. In the last few weeks he has truly been a happier person. Thank you again.. .. Here a report on some of the hunting.

Rob and I went on several unsuccessful hunts just after the crossbow came in. The forces were against us. Even the spots that I had regular patterns on the game with trail cameras for months came up dry. We still had a damn good time despite loosing probably 1-2 liters of blood to the pelican sized mosquito’s we have in Florida this year. Finally as it got on towards dark one evening a large group of hogs came in to the area we were hunting. There were black one, white and black spotted, red hogs and a few crazy looking grayish blue monsters in the back. Rob got the x-bow up and ready but an errant swirl of wind led to a stampede of hogs to parts unknown. Feeling pretty down and thinking that nothing was going to come in we were shocked by the appearance of a 130lb hog directly below the stand. She walked out straight in front of us and posed like the gift from god that she was. A perfect shot with the new x-bow and Rob had his 1st bow hog. I have been very lucky to share some incredible moments with many hunters, but I have never seen someone as excited as Rob was that night. I am not kidding.. I thought his face was going to break from smiling!
Since then here in the last week he as gone on a few hunts with his son that I have been unable to make due to family obligations. He was able to take a very nice boar hog with better than decent teeth which is pictured here. We are still trying to get a deer which will be his 1st ever. I had a fantastic place lined up with a few stands set, but someone cut the locks off the gates and stole all the batteries and diesel from the farm equipment. The land owner has made the choice to not allow anyone onto the property and that knocks out the deer hunting that I was counting on! Still got a month of season so don’t count us out!
Hopefully I will pick up another spot soon and have good news and a hunting report to add.

The photos are not the best and I apologize..

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Thats Awesome!!! Congrats

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of budcat2
posted Hide Post
This is great news... Too bad about the deer hunt. If you can make it to South Texas, Medina County I have a many contact there. I am sure I can get you on a hunt there. If not for deer, perhaps for black buck, or some of the monster hogs we have down there.

Posts: 40 | Location: Seattle but my heart is in Texas | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear of the good times! He deserves more than we can ever offer as do many other vets.

Give him a big congrats. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote