Find
Notify
Tools

Belarus ??
 Login/Join

<Mauser416>
posted
Hi,
It looks as though I'll be spending the next three to four months in Belarus. Does anyone know of any hunting opportunities in the area? I'll be working in Mozyr and don't yet know how much free time I will have. I won't be able to bring a rifle so I'll have to make provisions in that arena as well. Your help is appreciated.

Regards,
Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOH!

Two words . . . EUROPEAN BISON ! ! !

A bit of a pricey hunt sometimes but if that is a problem, you can usually hunt females for MUCH less. I wouldn't even consider visiting Belarus without hunting this rare (and certainly rarely hunted) sub-species!

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mauser416,

Forget about hunting and enjoy the most beautiful women in Eastern Europe instead! [Big Grin]

More seriously, there will be a lot of bird hunting and some deer hunting if you find a good local hunting companion. The gun ownership laws were severely restrictive for locals, more so for foreigners, about 10 years ago, but you can legally borrow a gun and hunt with a local hunter.

You will enjoy your stay there - the people are very friendly and it is a very beautiful country.

Good hunting and do post about your experiences here.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Belarus has had both good and bad stories. Great hunts, great trophies, and shitty accommodations, poor organisation etc.

The game to look for is red deer, wild boar, wisent (european bison), and I seem to remember sika as well. Some very nice trophies have been shot there.

I would inquire, if you go out with a local, what this means for you trophies, will you be able to export them at all?

I would also inquire, whether or not it is legal to hunt with a local...a non-outfitter/guide.

But if you are just out to have some fun, find a guy who wants to take you, hunt, make a fire, drink some wodka, and enjoy. The forest is big and wide if you know what I mean.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Mauser416>
posted
Thanks for the help. I don't know what type of internet connection I'll have at my disposal. My last job in Spain provided extremely limited access. One way or the other, if I make out to the field I'll make sure and post even if I have to wait until I return home.

Regards,
Eric