Picture of chuck375
posted
Supposedly start today.

https://apnews.com/article/gra...953e9a7dd5652a573482

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
First go the moose, then the elk, then the deer. Good luck.

popcorn

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget the livestock.

Ken

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are very good reasons are fore fathers.

Reduced their numbers to almost nothing.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about moose but deer and elk will adjust
Just look at numbers in MT, ID,WY…more game then ever despite wolves

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:

Proof source?

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Northern Yellowstone elk herd went from 20-24,000 animals prior to the wolf introduction to just 4,000 animals a few years ago.

I live less than 100 miles north of the Park and I go down there several times every year. In areas where we used to see thousands of elk 30 years ago, we're lucky to see just a few elk now.

I also used to enjoy seeing Bighorn sheep near the confluence of Pebble Cr and the Lamar River. Now the Park has that area closed "to protect wolf denning" and all of the sheep are just a memory.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

The Northern Yellowstone elk herd went from 20-24,000 animals prior to the wold introduction to just 4,000 animals a few years ago.

I live less than 100 miles north of the Park and I go down there several times every year. In areas where we used to see thousands of elk 30 years ago, we're lucky to see just a few elk now.

I also used to enjoy seeing Bighorn sheep near the confluence of Pebble Cr and the Lamar River. Now the Park has that area closed "to protect wolf denning" and all of the sheep are just a memory.

Great post!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has started, today 5 wolves were released in Grand County.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...12cc2a63a916d&ei=116

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will regret this.

In a big way.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
You will be just fine

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Northern Yellowstone elk herd went from 20-24,000 animals prior to the wold introduction to just 4,000 animals a few years ago.

Number one enemy to big horn sheep is pneumonia as it wipes out herd in a season if it hits them

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will be just fine

I live with wolves everyday.

No it is not fine.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

Proof source?

That’s what I thought

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People who believe the wolf myth also believe possums subsist on eating ticks.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Awoooo werewolves in Boulder

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From FB yesterday:
~~~~~~~~

Kody May

So, it begins. While all eyes were on the wolves entering Colorado in Moffat County, only the rancher, who in the last couple of days has had the dubious honor of owning the first livestock killed in Colorado by wolves in 70 years, was keeping track of the known wolves in Jackson County.

It was the first night that he had turned his heifers out of his corrals when the pack, now numbering 8; 3 of which were the cubs born this past June, surrounded this heifer, took her down, and started consuming her before she was dead.

The rancher can’t go to the sale barn or purchase just any replacement heifer because she is the product of 40 years of selective breeding to produce an animal which can thrive at 8,000 feet, withstand harsh winters and hot, dry summers, gain weight on a diet of native forbs and grasses.

Few people realize that a rancher may not haze, chase away, or kill a wolf in protection of their livestock. If he does, he faces up to $100,000 in fines and a year in jail.

With the inability to actively protect his livestock, he asked what he could be done. It was recommended that he have two of his hired hands ride with the cattle all night. It doesn’t matter if the weather is balmy or minus 30 because wolves, unlike human hunters, pay no attention to weather. His response was something indicating that he was the hired hand because his ranch, like most farms and ranches, is family owned and operated. For most, this means the family are unpaid hired hands, someone is working off ranch to help pay or reduce health insurance costs and, if very lucky, provide some contribution to a retirement fund or social security. For jobs which require more manpower; friends, neighbors, and other ranchers provide the labor, and their only pay is a meal and possibly a beer.

Here is the release from the Colorado Cattlemen's Association;

ARVADA, Colo. -

A confirmed wolf kill was discovered near Walden, Colo., the home of one of Colorado’s wolf packs. An approximately 500lbs purebred replacement heifer was found dead after being attacked and eaten by this pack of wolves. This is the first confirmed wolf kill of livestock in Colorado in over 70 years.

In early 2021, Colorado Parks and Wildlife confirmed the existence of this pack in north central Colorado; however, individual wolves have been seen in the area previous to the pack confirmation. Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials are working closely with the livestock producer to learn as much from this situation as possible as a mechanism to better inform Colorado’s current Wolf Restoration and Management Plan.

“On behalf of the livestock producer, who is a member of the Colorado Cattlemen’s Association (CCA), as well as Colorado Parks and Wildlife, we ask that the public refrain from disturbing the area and individuals associated with this wolf attack,” said Steve Wooten, CCA President.

While unfortunate, this wolf kill further brings to light issues that must be addressed by the Wolf Restoration and Management Plan, specifically:

Lethal and non-lethal methods, including hazing, of wolves for conflict minimization.

A guaranteed funding source that allows Colorado Parks and Wildlife to fairly provide the needed tools for prevention and compensation from wolf impacts.

Impacts from wolves go beyond livestock death and injury, to include more far-reaching impacts on livestock performance, such as loss of pregnancy, weight loss, imbalanced range usage, etc.
We strongly encourage the members of the Wolf Restoration and Management Plan working groups and the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to consider this wolf attack and the widespread impacts as a sentinel example of how livestock can be impacted by wolf introduction.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Impacts from wolves go beyond livestock death and injury, to include more far-reaching impacts on livestock performance, such as loss of pregnancy, weight loss, imbalanced range usage, etc.
We strongly encourage the members of the Wolf Restoration and Management Plan working groups and the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to consider this wolf attack and the widespread impacts as a sentinel example of how livestock can be impacted by wolf introduction

I would say 99 percent of the pro wolf crowd do not give a dam about the ranchers or their cattle.

Mostly they would like to see ranchers and cattle gone from the land.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Number one enemy to big horn sheep is pneumonia as it wipes out herd in a season if it hits them

Yes, pneumonia, lungworm, pink-eye, and many other domestic diseases are a big threat to bighorn sheep. But those diseases have nothing to do with the threat to the bighorn sheep and other big game populations from the wolves. The wolves are a 24/7/365 day threat to all of our big game wildlife with the possible exception of bears.

Need more proof?

Compare the moose hunting quotas in the Montana hunting districts adjacent to Yellowstone NP before the wolf introduction and those same districts today.

Before I retired, my work on the Gallatin NF often required me to travel from Bozeman to West Yellowstone and/or Cooke City. Daily sightings of moose, bighorn sheep, and hundreds of elk were common. In one area of the upper Gallatin River I would see 1 to 6 moose almost every time that i doprve Now, I have to look hard and know where to look to see bighorn sheep anong those same routes, and I can't remember the last time I even saw a moose in the Park.

The area along the upper Gallatin River has been a major elk migration route from Yellowstone NP to the Madison River Valley basically forever. Before the Park brought the wolves in, there was a big problem with elk getting killed on Highway 191 through this area. To help warn travelers on 191 of elk on the road, especially at night, the Park installed several miles of interconnecting laser beam lights that would cause warning lights to flash when elk walked out onto the highway. I don't know how many tens of thousands of dollars that system cost us taxpayers.

It didn't take long for the wolves to decimate that migrating elk herd, and the Park took down that entire elk warning system.

Also in that same area along the Gallatin River, Montana FWP has an 8' high fenced "elk exclosure" plot to moniter the willows growing along the river. Prior to the wolves, the willows inside the exclosure were as high or higher than that 8' fence. Outside of the fence the elk had grazed the willows along the river to almost nothing. Now, with vastly fewer elk migrating there, and almost no moose living there, all of the willows have grown to their 8' heights.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ain't no better on this side of the park.. sept the grizzly numbers, those are going up just fine.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
We need grizzlies in Colorado to keep the wolf population down.

donttroll

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, we need someone to drop off several dump truck loads of 8 foot Diamondbacks in Denver and Boulder, and Aspen so the residents can experience desert living with the sound of rattles to go with the howls of wolves they will never go into the woods to hear. Give them the "balanced woods" they desire in their own homes.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whose idea was it to release wolves there?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Whose idea was it to release wolves there?

A bunch of so called do good doers who think that rewilding places is the way to go.

Mostly progressives and communists who want ban firearms, hunting ect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

bsflag

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will regret this.

Biggly.

Our moose and elk populations are down already to tk last winters winter kill because if the severe winter of 22.

Now we have decided to introduce a predator that will go through these decimated populations like a fat kid in a cupcake factory.

Let’s release them
In suburbia and let them
Feast on their pets.

I’ll bet that changes their tune.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SSS

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bivoj:

If you are really serious, which I seriously doubt, please tell where you live and also if you have hunted in any of these states in the past 5 years.

Also, please tell us an Idaho unit that is at or near the population objective.

Ask Lamar (who lives in Idaho) how the deer herd is doing.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is just WRONG!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I totally agree, they did or will adjust. DOWN!
Also, credentials please or is this just an errant thought?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Colorado now and have hunted wolves in Canada. The wolves are almost in my back yard- some were released at the trailhead from where I elk hunt. They were already here last year- wolves all around Kremmling CO for the last few years having migrated down from Wyoming.

Hunting will go downhill now...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The news last night showed pictures taken of a roadway. The picture showed the wolves were collared. I thought they were to be released far from everything!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
I live in Colorado now and have hunted wolves in Canada. The wolves are almost in my back yard- some were released at the trailhead from where I elk hunt. They were already here last year- wolves all around Kremmling CO for the last few years having migrated down from Wyoming.

Hunting will go downhill now...

I lived in Kremmling 1990 to 1994. I still hunt the same area, but the last 5 years have been terrible. I hauled the moly from the Henderson mill to the railhead in Kremmling until my company lost the contract 1994. I also peeled house logs at Hester's saw mill.

I figure that the hunting will never be the same!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:

I lived in Kremmling 1990 to 1994. I still hunt the same area, but the last 5 years have been terrible. I hauled the moly from the Henderson mill to the railhead in Kremmling until my company lost the contract 1994. I also peeled house logs at Hester's saw mill.

I figure that the hunting will never be the same!

We probablhy have hunted the same areas- back in the 1990s, it used to be possible to shoot a 5 or 6-pt elk or really nice deer. I haven't even seen a really nice deer in a few years around here. Units 37 and unit 28 have gone to crap - heavy harsh winters, winter kill, too many tags issued, wolves and everything else.

The wolves were released on elk and deer wintering grounds so that they can kill enough animals to survive the winter. Wintering grounds are along the roads around here. The wolves will then migrate with the game up into Eagle's Nest wilderness in the summers or they will hang around the ski resorts to kill Moose etc.