THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: GPS, and truck cap, need advice for big sale!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: GPS, and truck cap, need advice for big sale!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
OK, here's what I decided to get, unless someone talks me out of it:

Garmin eTrex Vista Color for 329.00 and the Garmin MapSource US topo for 79.00 on the website mentioned earlier in the thread.

They looked pretty damn good to me.

Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 GPS units (Garmin and Magellen) and use the Garmin every year for hunting elk. I have the very simple Etrex model. It gets you there and out again with no problems and is very user friendly. I don't completely trust a GPS (batteries, blocked signals in dark timber, etc.) so I always carry a compass and USGS maps of the areas I am hunting, and I look at both as I enter the timber. Don't get me wrong, GPS units are great, but I just don't totally depend on em'. There are many brands out there, and some will do magical stuff, but that all ends abruptly if you lose the signal or have mechanical problems with the unit. It doesn't happen often, but it happens! Regarding the topper, I have one on my 03 Tacoma 4X4 that is aluminum. I bought it in 93' for a toyota I had then. It fits perfectly on this new p/u. The brand is "Executive", which is probably some off-label from one of the major manufacturers already mentioned. In my part of the country, you see toppers for sale along the road at small businesses, etc. You might want to check them or the web. I had a Leer for a 2000 Ford 150 (fiberglass). It was first rate, but weighed a ton. I suggest aluminum. You could remove it by yourself. I do mine all the time.
Good Luck!

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glasstite makes a good top also. Strong hinges and you can tip the front window down for cleaning.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote