Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hawk bullets VS north fork bullets
 Login/Join

posted
i hunt the wild boar in the brush, with shot from 5 to 100 metres, the wild boar are 30 to 120 kg. I use an Browning Bar Caliber 9,3x62. What I do must prefer the hawk bullets 250 grains or the North folk 250 grains?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawk bullets are made from copper tubing and have a large hole in their base.

Someone shot one and the core came out and the jacket stuck in the bore. The next shot blew up the rifle. That was a very bad accident.

Ray Atkinson said that the Hawk bullets were butter soft on game. There are plenty of other bullets. Use them.

Woodleigh makes 9.3 bullets for instance.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I find the Hawk way too soft at any impact vel. over 2000fps. I tried the 400gr in my .404j & they almost turn inside out & the jacket seperates. The NorthFork is a bonded, solid shank that stays together at any vel. & expands well @ lower vel. A premium bullet for sure & one I choose to hunt with if I can't get the Nosler partition.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My experience with Hawk bullets was not very good. Poor accuracy and they create pressure spikes due to being so soft. I have had great success with the North fork in the same rifle.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a Brown Bear with .240 Grain North Forks and it flattened him like a pancake. Groups were right around MOA. No experience with Hawks.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hawk bullets are cheap and great for plinking, but are by no means a premium bullet. While I have used them hunting, they are definitely prone to failure as they are just too soft. I would go Northfork personally.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Artorius ----- I have never shot a hawk bullet and cannot comment on them. I have shot the North Fork bullets extensively for sometime and can say they are the best tough hunting bullet on todays market that are produced in this country. I have used them in Alaska, Africa and the American west along with hunting buddies and my son, and have never seen anything but top notch performance. I have recovered bullets from Elk, Kongoni and Buffalo that had that classic mushroom plus penetration. The solid I used blew through the Buffalo like a freight train doing it's job perfectly. This is my personal experience for what it is worth to you. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
phurley5,
i am happy for your experience, i want know if this bullet is good for little (30 kg), and big (130 kg) wild boar. I like a deep penetration, but i prefer a good expansion also on little game. I would be use the 9,3x62 with 250 grains bullet.
thank in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hawk bullets on game, including 2 black bears that weighed over 400# each. Accuracy was always acceptable, and the bullets worked as intended. I was using them in a 7x57, so I had 175 gr. roundnose bullets traveling at a chronographed 2550 fps. One of the bears was shot at 9 meters, so he got the full velocity. Hawk bullets are definitely soft and not designed to give maximum penetration. If you call and talk to the owner, he will be very candid about it and tell you that. It is very old technology and the old ways of choosing bullets should apply-i.e. going with heavy-for-caliber bullets at modest velocities.

I like them for use within their design limitations. I would never use them in a .300 Weatherby or for use against big bears. But in the 9.3x62, they should handle 130 kg pigs just fine

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Namibia, where I used the 250gr in a 9.3 x 62. Killed duiker, hogs, black wildebeast, zebra, waterbuck, and eland. recovered 3 bullets, the rest went through, perfect performance, ph commented they would be good for buff. great mushroom, and weight retention. truely dependable bullets for killing game at all ranges and very accurate.

posted Hide Post
farrknives,
excume me, what bullet do you have use in 9,3x62. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry! they were northforks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am probably the only person on AR that has had excellent results with Hawk bullets. I have shot several deer and wild pigs with the 286 gt .035jhkt 9,3, the 300 gr .025jkt .408, both at @ 2330fps and one pig with the 400 gr .035jkt .408.

All animals have dropped to the shot except one pig that ran about 20 or 30 feet.

I like the Hawk bullets for what I use them for, shooting smaller big game with an elephant gun and with a medium bore designed for bigger game.

However I only use the Hawks when I know I can make a broad side shot.

The North Fork is a different game all together. It is a premium bullet designed for good expansion and penetration in a design that cannot fail due to its solid rear shank.

If you may have to take shots at bad angles, the North Fork is the way to go.

Check out the pictures on their web site.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 300 grain .030" jacket Hawk in a .400/.360 NE double at 2000 fps for a number of years. For boar, deer, black bear, etc., I've always gotten perfect performance. Accuracy, expansion and penetration are excellent. I've never recovered one from game. Heavy for caliber Hawks at moderate velocity work fine. They're not for hyper-velocity applications.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote