THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The New SCI (Safari Club International)?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New SCI (Safari Club International)?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
This weekend my dad and I attended the OutdoorsAZ show in Phoenix and came across the SCI booth. It seems that Safari Club International has started up a "political wing" in order to better protect hunting and hunters. We were told they want to become "The NRA for hunters.". Does anyone have any information on this and what do you all think? Here is the website for them and their magazine, "Hunt Forever":
http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/

This is from their website:
quote:
Hunt Forever!

Hunt Forever is the voice of every hunter; it is our battle cry and our communication tool to keep you informed. Hunting will not be lost! We intend to take back the ground lost and fight vigorously to insure your children and grandchildren have the same opportunity to hunt that you did growing up. Hunt Forever is our voice; it tells the story of everyday people making a difference. Hunt Forever offers practical ways for you to make a difference. Our task is a daunting one, but we will not be deterred, we will fight to protect our freedom to hunt in Washington D.C., Michigan, Denver, Ottawa, and Anchorage or where ever the battle is being waged. This is our lifetime commitment and we need you to join us in this fight.

Hunt Forever will take on tough issues and identify what you can do in your community to make a difference. Yes, there will be hunting stories and you will see the real face of hunting. Hunting is a family tradition and Hunt Forever will have something for every member of your family. For more than thirty years SCI has been the leading voice of hunters around the world, we are committed to protecting the freedom to hunt and promoting wildlife conservation worldwide.

Your subscription to Hunt Forever is an important first step in your commitment to protect the freedom to hunt, please consider making a statement that is even bolder by joining SCI, the organization that is First for Hunters. Your membership in SCI will help fund the fight to protect our freedom to hunt.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JL,

SCI has always worked for hunters' rights here and abroad as a core mission.

What you are seeing now is a new push to increase US participation in such causes and SCI generally.
Incidentally, the NRA has a similar hunting activist program that it is launching.

Could be they are related?

My own view is that the NRA should stiock to its focus and SCI to theirs but be mutually supportive wherever it matters. Grabbing for a bigger slice of the pie only confuses and difuses those who want to help.

1b

Posts: 51 | Location: Reston VA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
JLHeard,

The current SCI leadership is working internationally, at the US federal level and in US states and Canadian provinces to defend hunting and improve hunting opportunity.

I attended the SCI Board meeting in Tucson last month. This was my first Board meeting, and I was pleased to hear about -- among other things -- the 6 lawsuits SCI is currently involved with -- in five of them the opponent is Defenders of wildlife.

The Hunt Forever is a new magazine designed to connect with hunters who don't know SCI, and the new SCI First for Hunters mark is the symbol of that outreach. SCI set up two organizations a few years back. SCI is a 501(C)(4) not for profit that operates a political action committee, while SCI Foundation is a 501(c)(3) conservation education outfit that stays out of the political arena.

I think the organization is a Good Thing, but you will read complaints about it here too. Unfortunately the Internet is good for distributing CABD (Computer Aided Bum Dope). [Wink]

Email me if you want more detail.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new SCI is trying to connect with the mainstream more. Not really an attempt to shed the successful, fortune 500 type of clientele, but unite the two groups of sportsmen.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding, but there definitely is a need for an organization that is aggressive in the political arena for the hunter.

My stance will be that I will give them the benefit of the doubt. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote