Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Are Enough
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got done reading the How Many Are Too Many
post and saw alot I agreed with,then I got to thinking(I know,my wife tells me not to do that also)on a little different note. Alot of organazations want my money to preserve my gun and hunting rights but what if? What if every year I tried to introduce a non hunter(young or old)to the wonders of the hunt. My local hunts are solo or with my 22yr old son,my travel hunts are me my son and one of my freinds. Several things to be considered,responsability for the young,how long before they could wing it,equipment
if they could not afford it. It would seem a very good way to protect the future of our life style but there are many draw backs as well. Any thoughts?

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
It's my goal get two people who wouldn't ordinarily hunt to start. I don't care if it's a friend or child. That way, when I'm gone, we'll be up one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JLHeard, I agree on the one up! I guess I would of gotten more replies if I had of said
"YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THEM TO YOUR HONEY HOLE".

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
My take on this topic comes from my own up-bringing. If a person shows interest in going hunting or fishing with me then I will introduce them to the experience and coach them to have an enjoyable time. If they continue to show interest, I'll continue the coaching.

I'm a FreeMason and we don't recruit to the Masons. If a person is curious about FreeMasonry and would like to become a Mason, it's my responsibility to help them along the way. I feel the same way about hunting & fishing.

I've learned that if you recruit someone to hunting or fishing, they are usually reluctant and don't enjoy themselves or pursue the interest.

[ 02-09-2003, 20:19: Message edited by: CaptJack ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Capt. I would never ask someone to go hunting, fishing, shooting, etc with me (excluding my kids, but then, I never had to ask them) that had not expressed an interest. And after a kinda plain vanilla trip of some sort, if they were still interested, I'd turn back flips for them to take them as far as they want to go. If they want to stop at being a one box a year, single rifle hunter, that's fine. If they want to continue on to become an absolute, drooling reloading/gun nut, that's fine too. There's room for both of us in support of the 2nd amendment and the outdoor sports. [Wink]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I pointed out in my first post that the wife say's I shouldn't try to think! I can see where it might look like I was saying "DRAG A PETA IN
THE WOODS" Not my intention.I was thinking more
along the lines of the guy who spent 40yrs working
to suport a family with no time on his hands but
now has some and seem's interested or the young
child who's parents don't hunt but are O.K.with
there kids going with you to learn. You'all know,
the one's that don't hunt but do ask about it.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
The more people you take, the more you sons will have hunting in the future

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote