Notify
Tools

Hunting whitetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted
Hi guys,
one day I would like to to come in USA to hunt a whitetail deer, but I need some informations.
At first, when is hunting season for this deer??
Where are the best countries??? And the prices???
Is there the possibility for a foreign, to buy a rifle and to sold this after one week or so???
Thanks
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think Texas is your best bet, but almost every state has huntable populations of whitetail. But some states you have to apply and draw a tag. Where as Texas, you don't. And as for a firearm, some times you can just borrow or rent one from the outfitter. Most I know, would loan you a rifle (free of charge) if you booked a hunt with them.

Visit some of he booking agents web sites that post on this forum, Wendell Reich (http://www.huntersquest.com/), Aspen Hill Adventures (http://www.aspenhilladventures.com),
Greyghost I think has whitetail hunts,(http://Grayghostsafaris.com), Keith Atcheson to. I am sure there are more. Surf through this forum and you will find some that will help you.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are probably only limtied by the amount of money you want to spend. Most seasons are Sept. to January. Depends on the state and type of hunting weapon, that is bow, black powder, or rifle.

I have seen guided whitetail hunts, here on AR, for sale, for anywhere from $2500 to $4500. I am sure there are some less expensive and some more expensive!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You would do best to just borrow a firearm while here rather than try and buy/sell. I can recommend a very reasonably priced whitetail hunt in the eastern US when you are ready.

These are free ranging farmland bucks with a trespass fee of $135 per day. It is semi guided, you get dropped off and picked up to scouted stands and they will process your venison for an extra fee.

Most people hunt three days.

Other costs, hunting license, deer tags (up to three), food and lodging on your own, lots of it locally. In total, this hunt would run you about $850 to $1000 at the moment. That being how fancy you want your food and lodging.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
If you decide to come, it should not be difficult to borrow a rifle from someone on AR. We pretty well have the country covered!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
If you come to New England and take up Ann on a hunt I'd loan you a rifle.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the informations.
When I'll come in USA, I'll contact you.
This year I hop my job will run better that past year, so I'll have more time to hunt ..... and more money.
Faina

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
The slug, this is very nice from you, I hope this year I'll need your rifle!!!!
This is one of the positive site to be a member of AR...
If anyone would like to hunt in the alps (Italy) let me know....
Thanks
Faina

one of us
posted Hide Post
Faina,

I'm sure you can find a lot of attractive opportunities to hunt whitetails in any number of states. For "modern weapons" (gun) hunting, some state's seasons begin as early as October, and some run as late as January. You can find information for each state on their Department of Wildlife (agency has various names in various states) websites.

Since I assume it will be your first whitetail hunt, I also assume that you are more interested in the experience than in the size of the trophy. If that is true, there are very many places to hunt very economically. You could likely find a place in the Hill Country of Texas where you would pay no more than a few hudred dollars for both the hunting and the housing and meals -- especially if you were to go during the week rather than on a weekend. For this, plus the $250 license, you could likley shoot a buck, a doe, and perhaps a feral hog and a turkey. You will be shooting from a fixed stand, much as you would be accustomed to in Europe. Almost any hunting operator will have a gun that you can borrow.

The season in the Texas Hill country is usually from the first Saturday in November through the first Sunday in January. Hunting is good anytime during this two month window.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
You will find that even though whitetails are found just about everywhere, the method of hunting for them is vastly different in some locations. Here in the dense woods of New England the shots rarely exceed 100 yards and you need to be ready to shoot quickly if stalking. In a stand you usually have more time to take your shot, like many western locations. I rarely hunt fromn a stand because I just don't have the patience but most of the time it is the method with the highest success rate.

My grandfather is from Bologna, where are you?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, what do you write is very interesting for me. Yes I'm not so interesting on trophy, but I'm at the experience... and to eat whitetail meat!!

The Slug, I'm from Verbania, 20 miles from Swiss and 200 from Bologna.

I think I need to program my next vacation in november, so I'll move to USA to hunt!!!
Thanks
Faina