THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    All American 3 gun Battery... 35's all the way?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All American 3 gun Battery... 35's all the way?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last year, as of January of 08', I had a trip to Tanzania with my Dad and brother set for last fall, a 450/400 sxs Heym on the way, and a healthy safe full of medium and big bore rifles. In March I was diagnosed with Cancer, so needless to say the trip and the Heym were canceled, and eventually, most of my rifles were sold. Good news was, the chemo worked even better than electrolysis would have at knocking off all my back, ear, and nose hair. And, I got free popcycles!

Now, I've gone into remission from the cancer, but I still have two more years of chemo left so I won't be making it to Africa during Obama's first term. I'm also down to slim pickings relative to where I was in terms of toys, and I've got to nibble it down to three rifles, two shotguns, and one pistol (I personally don't think I could live with less. I already feel like I've given my children away by selling my other rifles). I've now got a 35 remington, 358 win, 35 Whelen, 350 remy mag, and a 338 win which I had planned on turning into a 358 norma.

So, I'm keeping my 358 win BLR for sure, and I get two others. I'm considering converting a rifle or buying a 9.3x62/64 that I can have for a minimum DG rifle as well. I want to know what you all consider the ideal 3 gun American arsenal... It looks like it will be a 35 remy, 35 win, and a 358 norma or 9.3x64 for me (to go along with my kimber 45 and weatherby 12 and 28 gauges). Opinions on what you all would do in my situation with my stock are welcome as well. I'm seriously thinking of going 35 cal all the way. Is there anything I couldn't hunt un the US with a 358 win, 35 whelen, and a 258 norma mag?

ThANKS TO ALL YOU FELLAS FOR THE OPINION. beer

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope there is not a thing that you could not hunt and hunt well with those choices.

If it were me though I would probably switch the 358 rem for a faster, flatter number like a 25-06.
Reason being that the 358 is pretty close to the whelen and a long range deer and varmint rifle is quite nice to have around.

And I am pulling for you to recover completely, get healthy and get over this three gun nonsense...

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously it depends on your personal shooting and hunting habits. Assuming you're going to keep the .358 BLR which is good for anything reasonably close or brushy, I'd lean toward getting one flatter shooting rifle, as mentioned the .25-06 is a considation as would be several of the 7mms and others, but being somewhat old fashioned, I personally like a .300 Win Mag. For a third rifle, I'd get an accurate AR-15, it has all kinds of uses in .223 and they are just plain fun to shoot as well as being relatively cheap. Also, you can change your configuration easily by replacing the uppers.

It your choice, but I think 3 .35s is too concentrated myself.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally forgot to mention that I have a 300 weatherby as my plinker/ sheep/ ground hog murderer. However, I have agreed to sell it to my father in law.

I primarily hunt pigs, deer, and elk, but I spend a lot of time shooting at coyotes and prairie dogs etc. My Whelen or 350 remington have always shot flat enough for me, but I don't regularly shot much past 200 yards when I'm shooting at serious season game... my 358 win is flat enough for that.

My thinking was that a 358 norma loaded with ~180 or 200 grained bullets would shoot plenty flat for any sheep, antelope, or coyyte killing in the future. I suspect that the same could be said of the 9.3x64, but I'm unsure whether the 9.3x62 can be loaded hot enough and with a light enough bullet to serve as an effective long distance gun. However, I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough with regards to loading the 9.3's to know whether either proclamations are true or not.

A good question; can the 9.3's be loaded so as to serve as effective long distance sheep or antelope rifles?

I suspect that when I get back on my feet financially, I'll eventually reacquire another 257 and or 300 weatherby, which I enjoyed, or a 220 swift, 25-06, etc.. On second thoughts, maybe I should get rid of the 35 remy and acquire a 257 weatherby or the like...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on being in remission! Sorry that you had to part with your beloved treasures to fight it though.

quote:
and a 338 win which I had planned on turning into a 358 norma.

While the .358 Norma is a great rifle, why not turn that one into a .375 Ruger then you have DG and elk well covered. The .358 Win will cover your deer and hogs very well. Then as previously mentioned pick up a lighter caliber like a .223, .22-250 or .243 Win for your
quote:
as my plinker/ sheep/ ground hog murderer.
or
quote:
but I spend a lot of time shooting at coyotes and prairie dogs etc.
You can find a lot of rifles in these calibers that will do quite nicely and have you covered across the board. Plus you will not have to break the bank to buy or feed them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for you health troubles, but it sounds like things are looking better.

It seems like you are a 35cal kind of guy and there is nothing wrong with that.

A 450/400 Heym and one of your 35's would make a great African pair.

I have used a 9,3x74R double quite a bit, and a 9,3x62 would be a good pick for a bolt rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Sorry for you health troubles, but it sounds like things are looking better.

It seems like you are a 35cal kind of guy and there is nothing wrong with that.

A 450/400 Heym and one of your 35's would make a great African pair.

I have used a 9,3x74R double quite a bit, and a 9,3x62 would be a good pick for a bolt rifle.

I wish I still had the 450/400 on the way, but the first thing I had to do when I got diagnosed was to cancel my trip to Tanz and my gun from Heym. New_Guy was extremely helpful and understanding of my situation. He even helped me sell some of my guns... a class act.

I ordered my 9.3x62, and I may turn it into a 9.3x64 ultimately. I'm not going to lie though, I'm a bit scared of the potential recoil of a 9.3x64 on a 7 lb rifle. I'm also a little concerned about how the stock will hold up.

I've worked it out so that I get my 9.3, keep my 35 Whelen and 358 win, and sell my 338 win mag, 350 remy mag and 300 weatherby. I'll also have to sell the 35 remy. I'll now be left with a 35 Whelen, a 358 win, a 9.3x62/64, a 28 gauge and a 45acp. Some redundancy in there, but I think I'm covered on this continent. Thanks for the input fellas.