New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hill Country Weather?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am heading to the Texas Hill Country to hunt Free Range Blackbuck the third week of March.
What is the weather like that time of year.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no way to predict Texas weather this far in advance. March weather in Texas is usually very pleasant. The fish are biting and Spring turkey season is open. However we also get quite a bit of rain (thunderstorms)in March. When my wife went into labor at 2:00am on March 29th there was a "norther" blowing in. The temperature was in the mid 20's with high winds. Wait until just before your trip to check the weather.

Posts: 123 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
As pointed out, Texas weather is highly changeable on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis. Averages for Austin/New Braunfels run in the low 50s at night to low to mid 70s in the day time in March. Rainfall averages about 2 inches in March but heavy rains and flash flooding are not uncommon.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a good chance that you'll experience some very nice weather. But if you don't, look out. It could be real unpleasant. That time of year, you need to be prepared for cold, heat, rain, and wind.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
As they say, "Only fools and newcomers try to predict the weather in Texas."

As I'm a native "fool" I'll say that March is usually pretty nice. Maybe 70s during the day

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could just as easily have a snowstorm or a muggy day. Or both in the same trip. By and large, mid-March is fairly mild, but is nearly always unsettled and changable. It also tends to be one of our windier months. Bring a variety of clothing. The Hill Country will just be greening up in March and if we've had adequate moisture it can be very pretty.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, it can be hot, cold, windy, dry, wet, or tornadoey.......on top of that, the snakes will be coming out on the warm days......and then there's the thorns, ticks, and red bugs......but hey, have a heckuva nice trip. Eeker Confused beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
And don't forget to keep a close eye out for the fire ants...

Good luck on your hunt. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Bring layered clothing for anything from wet to dry and 30 degrees to 80 degrees.

Good luck on your blackbuck!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Rocksprings yesterday. The day before I had on long underwear, regular clothes, insulated jacket and overalls for the AM hunt. 25 degrees or so. That afternoon, while out working, I was in long sleeves and long pants sweating. You could have the same in March Big Grin

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote