THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Totally OT: can anyone ID a fossil for me?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Totally OT: can anyone ID a fossil for me?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Just back from a javelina hunt in AZ (I'll post a report soon), and in my travels in the 'high desert' found a fossil. Anyone willing to help me ID it? It'd be worth only my thanks and a shot and a beer if in the Boston area, but that's what I'm offering. ;c) I'd post a pic, but have tried before and almost wanted to hang myself by the time I was done. TIA for any help. And yes, I did try to sleuth it out on my own, and found someting similar (a horn coral), but it's a bit off. I'm going to give the wee beastie to my wife, and would love to act clever and be able to tell her what it is, and when it lived.

BTW, this may have the making of a sort-of big game type thread: what kinds of interesting and/or weird stuff have you found while hunting?

TIA,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pic????

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
Pic????

For the life of me I cannot fathom how to post a pic, as I tried but apparently failed to explain above Smiler. I was hoping someone with the knowledge would let me email it *to them*. Sorry for the corn-fusion, and the forward request... (words also heard before just a face gets a slap ha, ha).

Cheers,

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
For the life of me I cannot fathom how to post a pic, as I tried but apparently failed to explain above Smiler. I was hoping someone with the knowledge would let me email it *to them*. Sorry for the corn-fusion, and the forward request... (words also heard before just a face gets a slap ha, ha).

Cheers,

KG

You can send it to me. My email address is in my profile.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
For the shot at a shot and a beer, I will tell you it is a Tyranasaurus Rex.

Where is my beer.

Seriously, please e-mail it to me if you can.

wendell@huntersquest.com

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
For the shot at a shot and a beer, I will tell you it is a Tyranasaurus Rex.
Where is my beer.

Right here where I said it is! Emails sent. Big thanks. If it's a genuine, verifiable fossil penis of any sort, your shot and beers have now morphed into a case and a bottle. Wink

KG

P.S. I really hope it's not. Although at 1.5 inches, it'll do wonders for my ego...

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here you go (had to fix that one):

Click pictures for a larger photo size -- warning they are large files. I can provide links to the original sizes if needed -- they are quite large indeed.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's my suggestion:

Take the MTA to Harvard Square.
Walk North through the Yard,
Pass to the left of Memorial Hall,
to the right of the Science Center
to Oxford Street.
Go North a couple hundred yards to Peabody Museum on your right, go in and the first person you see, show them the fossil and ask "What's this?"

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
That would require entering the People's Democratic Republik of Kambridge, ie., enemy territory! What are you, some kind of communist? Wink I'll get it online, I'm sure, but thanks for the suggestion. It is a neat place.

Oh, and by the bye: you're clearly familiar with the place, but it's equally clear that you've not been in MA for some time, as I've not heard the 'T' referred to as 'MTA' for about 25 years...Smiler

Thanks much for the picture post, CH.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Click pictures for the original photo size -- warning they are very large files.

Whoa, you got that right. Wow. It almost seems as if one could get fingerprints from that pi...Uh oh. Smiler

Thankee.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whoa, you got that right. Wow. It almost seems as if one could get fingerprints from that pi...Uh oh. Smiler

Thankee.

I can make the links to a large but not gigantic version if you prefer.

Already checking the fingerprints through NICS. animal

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can make the links to a large but not gigantic version if you prefer.

I must have mistakenly sent you a photo for my wife only to see. Disregard, and enough with the phallic jokes if you please, sir. Jealousy is a horrid business indeed!

posted Hide Post
quote:
That would require entering the People's Democratic Republik of Kambridge, ie., enemy territory! .... What are you, some kind of communist? Wink I'll get it online, I'm sure, but thanks for the suggestion. It is a neat place.

Oh, and by the bye: you're clearly familiar with the place, but it's equally clear that you've not been in MA for some time, as I've not heard the 'T' referred to as 'MTA' for about 25 years...Smiler

Peabody Museum and the attached Hoffman Labaratory are the Geology Department (Geological Sciences, that is), and the atmosphere there is different from the atmosphere in, say, the Diversity Studies Department.

And you are right, I haven't been there since 1975.

I think that you were right about it being a horn coral, of which there are many types, and I would take a WAG that it is early Devonian, but someone in the Peabody Museum could tell you exactly what species, and as close to the exact time frame as you can get. Guaranteed, and on the way to finding that person, you might meet some interesting other people. Remember, it isn't the Department of Diversity and Diddling.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have changed the clickable links in the post above to the large size.

Original image links for those who may want them are:

first picture

middle picture

last picture

These are quite large.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Infidel:
Remember, it isn't the Department of Diversity and Diddling.

I'll have to defer to you and take your word for it, although lots of things have changed under Larry Summers' 'leadership'...

If I don't get any joy here, I'll maybe stop by on the way to work.

Cheers and ta again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would require entering the People's Democratic Republik of Kambridge, ie., enemy territory! What are you, some kind of communist? Wink I'll get it online, I'm sure, but thanks for the suggestion. It is a neat place.

Thanks much for the picture post, CH.

Be careful, Kamo Girl, my son is headed to Harvard next fall thanks to the high oil prices. He was headed to a juco.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

Be careful, Kamo Girl, my son is headed to Harvard next fall thanks to the high oil prices. He was headed to a juco.

dogcat,

Congrats on your son going to Harvard.

The real question is where were you going to hunt before the higher oil prices and where are you going to hunt now?

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Could it be something Walterhog honked up?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I've as yet gotten no absolutely definitive answer, but several knowlegable people (myself excluded, with my very techincal "hmm, looks kinda' like the one in that picture" method) believe it's a specimen of an extinct coral from the order Rugosa. It would have lived in the Paleozoic era, which makes it anywhere from ~250-~550 MILLION years old. Hell, that's almost as old as Walter!

Anyway, it's commonly referred to as a horn coral. I'm pleased as hell to have had the luck to stumble on it, literally. A neat thing it is to add to the 'interesting things found while hunting, fishing and general outdoors' collection.

Thanks for the help from guys here and through PM.

One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
OK, here is the deal. Take 95N to Durham. Drop the piece here, I'll follow the directions from Infidel, have a sandwich at Elsies and get back to you.

Sorry, I could not resist.

A sick mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Lee

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeeH:
I'll follow the directions from Infidel, have a sandwich at Elsies and get back to you.

You and Infidel both are living in the past a bit friend; Elsie's has been gone for years. Smiler

Cheers,

KG

posted Hide Post
quote:
You and Infidel both are living in the past a bit friend; Elsie's has been gone for years. Smiler

I think that I knew that; Alas, I think that Cronin's is gone, too.