Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which PH Guide School?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
School of hard knocks

458 gave great advice, the most important of which is that a guide is a people person. Your job is to provide the "experience" of the hunt. That experience is alot more then just dragging the client through hill and dale after game. A good guide will point out interesting facts about the flora and fauna. Will be able to evaluate the clients physical and shooting ability, and not embarass them when it turns out that their abilities aren't what they claim they are. The really, really good guide manages to take the "can't be made happy no matter what" client, and instead of giving him the SSS treatment , manages to give the guy a good time. The good guide is able to keep a vibrant love of the outdoors, and infect every client with that love.

Take it from me, desk jobs suck They produce the overweight out of shape people that are your clients. If I could figure out a way to transition to a lower paying, fresh air, high satisfaction job, I'd be there in a minute.

You can never make enough money to make you happy, you have to find a career that you look forward to starting every day.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I figgured out a long time ago that there were two groups of people in the world who got to do exactly what they wanted; the very wealthy and the very poor. I knew I wouldn't make one of them but guiding has given me the opportunity to acheive the other. Good Hunting

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TR,

If you love it, do it. 458WIN and PaulH gave great advice. I've been fortunate to get into the business late in my life here in AK and I wouldn't trade the experience for all of the times I had in a previous life. If you work hard, are honest, and love what you do, success will come with time and a decent living can be had. 458WIN is a good example to follow.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote