New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Elk Tags
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Four of my hunting buddies and I drew elk tags for Wyoming in the area near Pinedale. We hunted deer there 2 years ago. We have also put in for mule deer tags but that draw is a few weeks away. This is a horseback hunt.
I will use my Blaser R 93 with the 300 Win Mag bbl that is Magna Ported. Scope will be the Leupold 3.5x10 long Range M3 with Ballistic cam. Ammo will be Remington factory 200 gr. Swift A Frame for elk, with rem fac 180 Ballistic tips for deer [they both hit the same place to 300 yards] or if I have time to develop a load for this bbl 180 Nosler Partitions for both.
This is one of the few hunts I only take one rifle. [That still makes me nervous, I will have my 4" 44].
We are hunting with a couple of "local boys" that have been hunting this area for several years.
We had a great time on the previous hunt, two of us shot pretty good mule deer. I saw a couple of good deer, but I will not shoot a mule deer on a trip like this unless it is a very good deer, I can get all the meat I neede on my TX lease, in WY I am strictly a trophy hunter. Elk might be a little different, we have ANY elk tags.... I really like elk meat, so as the trip nears its end I would definately shoot a cow. They kill their elk there every year. A fun trip with good friends and good guides... what could be better?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Sounds like a great time. I have hunted that area some and it is beautiful. If you'll actually be in the Wind Rivers, the elk hunting is usually better than the deer hunting.

I am not familar with the Blaser other than knowing it has some type of cocking device. Is there any concern when it comes time to jerk it out or putting it back into your scabbard? You'll be hunting about an hour and a half from my house. If you come to Jackson, lets get together for a drink or dinner.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the Blaser you can keep a round in the chamber as the rifle is uncocked untill you cock it. It does not have a safety in the conventional sense. I doubt I will be able to get to Jackson on this trip. We are time limited due to our responsibilities durring the State Fair of Texas. We will leave Dallas on the 24th, hunt till the 31st and head back. However i will keep your offer in mind. I am retireing Feb of 2006 and will be living in a motorhome, traveling around shooting and visiting with AR members. We can get together then for sure. I plan to spend a lot of time in the North West part of America.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote