THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Here's a real moose problem. What do you think?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's a real moose problem. What do you think?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guess I could have posted this in the Alaska Hunting forum but thought it would get more visibility here. What do you guys think? I think they should have just let the guy cut it up & keep it. Bear in Fairbanks

Moose Death

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I think the guy got off easy. He was too lazy to take care of his hay, so the moose is dead. I'm curious about the details of how the moose "charged" as well.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This dude is a total dumb ass...it is no different, that if he would have put a carcass in his yard and a griz came it to feed...then he shoots the bear because it charged?? No shit dude...because he was lazy, a moose died for no reason. I too think he got off easy. bull

MG

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was too lazy to take care of his hay

quote:
it is no different, that if he would have put a carcass in his yard and a griz came it to feed

You people obviously live in a town and have never owned livestock.

Trooper: "He should have known he had a problem with moose."

So I should get a ticket everytime somebody rear-ends me on the road or runs a stop sign and hits me? I should have known the other driver would not stop. Hmmm. Mindreading is something I should have spent more time on in school.

This has nothing to do with hunting. This is a property rights issue. I'm sure all of you would rather this guy be in the hospital and his dog dead. If that had happened I'm sure this thread would be filled with offers to "help with the moose problem". What if it had cornered his 4 year old daughter instead of an old hound dog? I can't believe what I'm seeing here.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet next time he doesn't call the law and has Moose steak all winter. Big Grin

Rooster

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the pole barn is to protect the hay. If animals can get to it---it's not protected. The guy has spent 90% of the cost of protecting the hay--the problem has existed for years--at the price of hay he has surely spent more than spending the extra to enclose it fully. Sorta like spending all the money to buy a new pick up but too cheap to buy gasoline so you can drive it. Looking at the picture of the barn,it appears enclosing it would be pretty easy. Having said that--the law itself has flaws. Some of the situations they described of illegal feeding would not have a simple solution like this one has. How you protect a garden when electric fences etc don't work? Letting the guy off would open it up that others could use same excuse--a double edged sword.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just gotta add something here. I have to agree with Old Cane on this one. Sounds as if you guys have no experience around moose. It certainly appears as if the trooper has no experience. There is no way an electric fence will keep a moose out. The only fence that could do it is a chain link. Moose come into the yards all the time in the winter & you can't just drive 'em off. I've had 'em within about 10 yds. of my dog & couldn't drive 'em off. Had to bring the dog into the house till the moose left. BTW, not pointed out in the article Ak. has a law allowing the killing of game for the protection of animals & property. Should a moose ever hurt my dog - that moose is gonna be a goner - period. From what little I can sense from the locals, most everyone is on the guy's side. I'm no "legal eagle" but I think the right thing would have if for the authorities to ask the guy to take the fine & keep the meat in exchange. I suppose the trooper could have cited him for shooting a game animal out of season.

Not trying to start a tiff here, just wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm kinda surprised no locals or other Alaskans have made a comment yet. Ya'll take care, Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Bear
I put a mans life over a moose any day.Moose charges
Moose dies,man eats good for awhile.No problem.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it Jeffp!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The only thing that troubles me is his statement that he shot the moose with no intention of killing it. The only reason you shoot something is to kill it. What was he intending, for the moose to suffer a slow lingering death? He didn't even say the moose charged.

I've had my dog come across moose several times, and I hope he doesn't get stomped one of these days, but, I certainly wouldn't fault the moose for being a moose.

I do think what he was ticketed for was bogus, just as I'd think it would be bogus for me to be given a ticket for having moose come in my yard because of the strawberries, or willows.

Considering he could have been charged with taking a moose out of season, I'd say he got off easy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Oldcane, I live in country where if you leave your trash out, you may have a grizzly bear in it the next morning. If you don't fence out your hay, the next day your stackyard will be full of elk. Moose walk down the street and mountain lions live at the edge of town...

If you take precautions and keep your shit straight (if you don't want your house to get robbed, you lock the door right??)...you don't have to worry about your daughter getting cornered or your dog stepped on. Its called common sense in this country..maybe this guy moved to ALaska from Tennessee.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the guy got off easy. He was too lazy to take care of his hay, so the moose is dead.

Excuse me. I don't know too many lazy people that live in AK.

Yeah right. I guess he should have invited Bullwinkle Jr. into the house and had a cup of joe too.

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he should have just shot then butchered the thing and never said a word.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
In my years of living in Alaska, I have played telephone pole tag with a few moose while on my way to work. You know, keep a pole between you and the moose. I have seen cars totaled by contact with a moose, yet the moose walked. There was a bull that played head butt games with a train, eventually he lost, but it took a while. It takes a pretty good fence to keep a determined moose at bay.

They are not majic, but they can be persuasive.

The three S's come to mind. Maybe only 2 S's.

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot, shovel and shut up!

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe this guy moved to ALaska from Tennessee

Maybe he should move back to a place where we can defend ourselves and property. By the way, I am not FROM TN, I just live ther now. I am from out west and have had other pests to deal with all my life. Some have 2 legs, some have 4. They all get dealt with much the same way. I'd have to agree a warning shot shouldn't hit flesh but with any animal that I have seen they will either turn tail and run never to return or.....not. and be back in a hour. I think we are on the same side here so let's agree to disagree.

I also see from your other comments that you do live in town. Wyoming does have towns. I've seen them. Maybe some back east think of the western states as nothing but 100,000 acre ranches, million acre forests and wide open spaces. People and towns are there too. Some never leave the city limits. I'm sure you do since I'm sure you hunt but come on, people come first. Sure, protect your hay but what if it was in an enclosed barn and someone forgot to close the door all the way, moose gets inside and tramples him on the way out. Surpise, surprise, surprise (hey, I'm in the south. My name must be Gomer, right?). I just don't see a problem.

We had a buffalo herd out from where I came from. They could flip your car over, open the door and poke you with those sharp things on their head and if you so much as swore at them the local wildlife officers would take you to fedral prison before the ER. I simply chose not to go around them (the officers I mean, appointed for life). I guess the guy could just not store hay and/or sell off his livestock and move to town. But from what you've said that will not solve the problem if he has a flower bed.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The moose was there because this guy didn't defend his property (his hay for that matter), then when the moose started to eat his property, he allowed it (as per the article, it became a regular at his haystack) and didn't fence him out to solve the situation.

There is a big difference from leaving a pile of hay out that is unprotected, and leaving the door open on your barn and having a moose get in. This guy chose the easy way, failed to protect his property (even though AK law states that he should have) and put the moose in a bad situaion. The moose was just being a moose, and doing what moose do in winter (they get grumpy). What made it worse, was this guy knew the moose was eating his hay and failed to solve the situation.

We also have bison here Old Cane...they are actually wild. You don't go up and pet them, you don't go and try to feed them an apple, you don't go up and try to ride them. It is called common sense, you leave them the hell alone, they leave you alone. Same with the moose around here, same with the grizzly bears. Every year I hear of dumbassses who try to get close to the bison north of here in the Park. Every year someone gets tossed. Should the bison be shot for being a bison?

The G&F and NPS around this country have to euthanize dozens of black and grizzly bears because some dumbasses leave their coolers full of food out, and don't store their trash properly. They don't read the signs, they don't use common sense. These bears get habituated, they becomes a problem because someone was lazy and didn't think they needed to take care of their mess in bear country. Same thing for the moose, same for the bison.

I'm not buying this crap excuse of "protect my property" BS. This guys actions put the moose in his hay, and near his house. He then decided to walk outside with his 12 gauge and "solve" his dillemma in my opinion, and got caught plain and simple.

You guys are all entitled to you red neck "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up" opinion, however if any of you actually had experience with living in WILD country with all this stuff maybe you would think differently. Those that have problems around here bring them on to themselves.

Or is there an evil band of moose, bison, grizzly bears hell bent on destrying haystacks, garbage cans and destruction of the human race?

MG

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Since you seem to be "interpreting" what I said rather than reading it (where did I say the buffalo I mentioned were tame?) I'll just end this the same way I do with my wife. You are right, I am wrong. Sorry I woke up today.

I'm sorry you think I'm a redneck that can own property and I won't be back to this forum becaue again, you are always going to be right and I am always going to be wrong if I disagree with you and I can never know as much or be as good as you (are you sure we aren't married?). Plenty of other forums out there with good natured folks. It's a damn shame. I was enjoying this site. Oh, well, what was I thinking having an opinion.

Thanks for being you. And thanks for letting me know what I was in for before I became a long time member of this site. Glad you stopped me before I really got started and became a regular.

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Cane:
Since you seem to be "interpreting" what I said rather than reading it (where did I say the buffalo I mentioned were tame?) I'll just end this the same way I do with my wife. You are right, I am wrong. Sorry I woke up today.

I'm sorry you think I'm a redneck that can own property and I won't be back to this forum becaue again, you are always going to be right and I am always going to be wrong if I disagree with you and I can never know as much or be as good as you (are you sure we aren't married?). Plenty of other forums out there with good natured folks. It's a damn shame. I was enjoying this site. Oh, well, what was I thinking having an opinion.

Thanks for being you. And thanks for letting me know what I was in for before I became a long time member of this site. Glad you stopped me before I really got started and became a regular.

I don't really think his comments were directed at you, Old Cane. More likely at me.

I do see that he could have done more to protect both his hay and the wildlife. Never used the 3 S technique unless the bear made it thru the third fence, past the dogs, and ignored my attempts to scare off, myself. He shouldn't have to play tackling dummy for the moose for his errors, though.

JMHO.

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I`ve read the article and by the look of the pictures of his pole barn I`d charge him.My take is probably the same as the FG officer. I think he just got pissed because this moose was eating his hay and instead of closing in his pole barn he just shot the moose. As an after thought he decided to call the law and they didn`t agree with his actions. Sounds like a guy here in Ontario who shot a bear that he said was breaking into his house, game warden came out and shot the wounded bear then finds the guy shot it in the ass with birdshot. Definantly was leaving when he shot it and by using birdshot he would not have been able to humanely kill it.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
The moose was there because this guy didn't defend his property (his hay for that matter), then when the moose started to eat his property, he allowed it (as per the article, it became a regular at his haystack) and didn't fence him out to solve the situation.

There is a big difference from leaving a pile of hay out that is unprotected, and leaving the door open on your barn and having a moose get in. This guy chose the easy way, failed to protect his property (even though AK law states that he should have) and put the moose in a bad situaion. The moose was just being a moose, and doing what moose do in winter (they get grumpy). What made it worse, was this guy knew the moose was eating his hay and failed to solve the situation.

We also have bison here Old Cane...they are actually wild. You don't go up and pet them, you don't go and try to feed them an apple, you don't go up and try to ride them. It is called common sense, you leave them the hell alone, they leave you alone. Same with the moose around here, same with the grizzly bears. Every year I hear of dumbassses who try to get close to the bison north of here in the Park. Every year someone gets tossed. Should the bison be shot for being a bison?

The G&F and NPS around this country have to euthanize dozens of black and grizzly bears because some dumbasses leave their coolers full of food out, and don't store their trash properly. They don't read the signs, they don't use common sense. These bears get habituated, they becomes a problem because someone was lazy and didn't think they needed to take care of their mess in bear country. Same thing for the moose, same for the bison.

I'm not buying this crap excuse of "protect my property" BS. This guys actions put the moose in his hay, and near his house. He then decided to walk outside with his 12 gauge and "solve" his dillemma in my opinion, and got caught plain and simple.

You guys are all entitled to you red neck "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up" opinion, however if any of you actually had experience with living in WILD country with all this stuff maybe you would think differently. Those that have problems around here bring them on to themselves.

Or is there an evil band of moose, bison, grizzly bears hell bent on destrying haystacks, garbage cans and destruction of the human race?

MG

In my area as many moose are killed by cars/trucks as hunters. A six foot chain link fence will not stop any adult Alaska/Yukon moose period!! Hay in a shed is protected! They make bullets for the crop raiding vermin troll Were it me, we would be sitting in court having that ticket placed in the Trooper's ass! That has Defense of Life or Property written all over it Big Grin

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Cane:

Old Cane, Don't let the few shit heads ruin it for you beer This is a great place to obtain valuable information. WELCOME

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big words tsturm...I would personally like to watch you place that ticket in that trooper's ass. Easy to say hiding behind your computer monitor.

If you look at the picture of the haybarn where the moose was getting into...you can plainly see that it offers no protection what so ever. A goat with one leg could crawl up and get hay from underneath.

Just another example of stupidity at work...this is the same kind of guy that after being told several times by park rangers, and reading broshures on bear safety he still leaves his cooler full of food out in grizzly country and then can't figure out why there is a bear in camp.

MG