THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    900 bison at Yellowstone to be relocated, slaughtered or shot by hunters this winter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

900 bison at Yellowstone to be relocated, slaughtered or shot by hunters this winter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/a...ters-winter-rcna7704

900 bison at Yellowstone to be relocated, slaughtered or shot by hunters this winter

The hunting effort is a bid to prevent bison from spreading brucellosis, a bacterial disease that can cause cows to abort their calves, to cattle.

Dec. 6, 2021, 7:13 AM CST / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press

MISSOULA, Mont. — Officials have agreed to allow as many as 900 bison from Yellowstone National Park to be shot by hunters, sent to slaughter or placed in quarantine this winter in a program that seeks to prevent the animals from spreading a disease to cattle.

An additional 200 bison among the park’s more than 5,000 bison could be captured or hunted in the late winter if those numbers are met, federal, tribal and state officials agreed in a meeting Wednesday.

Bison routinely leave Yellowstone and head north into Montana each winter, raising concerns that the animals could spread brucellosis to cattle. Brucellosis is a bacterial disease that can cause cows to abort their calves. The disease can spread to people but is rare in humans in the U.S.

Elk have spread the disease to livestock but there are no documented cases of bison spreading brucellosis to livestock in the wild, the Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported.

Yellowstone currently has around 5,450 bison, on the high end of recent counts, according to park biologist Chris Geremia.

Removing 600 to 900 bison this winter should cause the population to stabilize or decline slightly but increase back to around current numbers after spring calving, according to park officials.

Several Native American tribes and the state of Montana separately administer bison hunts outside of Yellowstone National Park.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rgrx1276
posted Hide Post
So much for the wolves killing them off. IIRC wolves were introduced in Yellowstone for that purpose.

Posts: 45 | Location: Israel and Florida | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the wolves there went through the elk and deer then moved on.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do I correctly remember reading that brucellosis was originally a cattle disease that was spread to bison by ranchers' cattle?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I know a genetic immunologist who is working on brucellosis in elk and bison at the USDA's National Animal Disease Center. It is a serious pathogen. Humans are at risk, especially if they drink unpasteurized milk products.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TomP- You are correct. And somehow now it becomes incumbent for the resolution of this issue to be paid for by sportsmen and the taxpayer instead of the livestock industry.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I know a genetic immunologist who is working on brucellosis in elk and bison at the USDA's National Animal Disease Center. It is a serious pathogen. Humans are at risk, especially if they drink unpasteurized milk products.

In humans its Called undulant fever and women will miscarry

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kathi:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/a...ters-winter-rcna7704

The hunting effort is a bid to prevent bison from spreading brucellosis, a bacterial disease that can cause cows to abort their calves, to cattle.

Dec. 6, 2021, 7:13 AM CST / Source: Associated Press
By The Associated Press

MISSOULA, Mont. — Officials have agreed to allow as many as 900 bison from Yellowstone National Park to be shot by hunters, sent to slaughter or placed in quarantine this winter in a program that seeks to prevent the animals from spreading a disease to cattle.

An additional 200 bison among the park’s more than 5,000 bison could be captured or hunted in the late winter if those numbers are met, federal, tribal and state officials agreed in a meeting Wednesday.

Bison routinely leave Yellowstone and head north into Montana each winter, raising concerns that the animals could spread brucellosis to cattle. Brucellosis is a bacterial disease that can cause cows to abort their calves. The disease can spread to people but is rare in humans in the U.S.

Elk have spread the disease to livestock but there are no documented cases of bison spreading brucellosis to livestock in the wild, the Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported.

Yellowstone currently has around 5,450 bison, on the high end of recent counts, according to park biologist Chris Geremia.

Removing 600 to 900 bison this winter should cause the population to stabilize or decline slightly but increase back to around current numbers after spring calving, according to park officials.

Several Native American tribes and the state of Montana separately administer bison hunts outside of Yellowstone National Park

Indians get to shoot ( read slaughter ) 99% of them
You ever see it… it’s a fucking disaster
If any white man would do that greenies would have coronaries right there on spot and Fish and Game would treat them like bank robbers

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boar- I have witnessed the First nation's "harvest" on a few occasions. The "pass" they are getting is beyond belief.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was so bad about the NA hunts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting from the road, shooting from the truck, shooting from a moving truck are the top three in my observations. It is so bad that when the bison are coming through the Gardner area, N. entrance to Yellowstone, that the LEOs have 24 7 surveillance on their "camp". That "camp" is a whole story in itself.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
What was so bad about the NA hunts?

Gotta see it to believe it
Indians are absolute pigs and I don’t mind to say it, they are wasteful, ignorant, greedy “ want it all and now “ bastards with disregards to any regulations and to game itself. But I suppose they were always that way, yes white man was that way as well but white man changed, indians got worse…

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
boarkiller, you are using a pretty broad brush to smear an entire group of people. Not all native Americans are as you described.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Not too far off of what I expected. I have family within the Navajo reservation, they told me the locals don't treat their animals well. That is the opposite of the image most people have, as I had myself.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
boarkiller, you are using a pretty broad brush to smear an entire group of people. Not all native Americans are as you described.

No they are not, I agree
It’s the hunting and conservation parts of them I absolutely detest
Otherwise they are free to live their lives according to themselves just like everyone else

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is the opposite of the image most people have, as I had myself.

We have been feed the Myth of the noble savage for decades.

One just has to work law enforcement on and near reservations.

To know it is just that a myth.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
brucellosis,

The article in Wiki is pretty interesting. Here's a snapshot:

Brucellosis[2][3] is a highly contagious zoonosis caused by ingestion of unpasteurized milk or undercooked meat from infected animals, or close contact with their secretions.[4] It is also known as undulant fever, Malta fever, and Mediterranean fever.[5]

The bacteria causing this disease, Brucella, are small, Gram-negative, nonmotile, nonspore-forming, rod-shaped (coccobacilli) bacteria. They function as facultative intracellular parasites, causing chronic disease, which usually persists for life. Four species infect humans: B. abortus, B. canis, B. melitensis, and B. suis. B. abortus is less virulent than B. melitensis and is primarily a disease of cattle. B. canis affects dogs. B. melitensis is the most virulent and invasive species; it usually infects goats and occasionally sheep. B. suis is of intermediate virulence and chiefly infects pigs. Symptoms include profuse sweating and joint and muscle pain. Brucellosis has been recognized in animals and humans since the early 20th century.
~~~~

There is even Brucellosis found in whales and dolphins. There is a vaxx for cattle and not sure why western ranchers would not just vaccinate their herds. Dairy herds typically are vaxxed and routinely tested. Interestingly, goat herds are far more likely to carry the disease.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

There is a vaxx for cattle and not sure why western ranchers would not just vaccinate their herds. Dairy herds typically are vaxxed and routinely tested. Interestingly, goat herds are far more likely to carry the disease.

Maybe it would cost them money, and then they may have to share range with other animals, such as bison? Or maybe not.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

There is a vaxx for cattle and not sure why western ranchers would not just vaccinate their herds. Dairy herds typically are vaxxed and routinely tested. Interestingly, goat herds are far more likely to carry the disease.

Maybe it would cost them money, and then they may have to share range with other animals, such as bison? Or maybe not.

Yeah, but to me that would be better than being forced to have wolves around preying on my cattle if it were me there.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

To know it is just that a myth

I imagine the vast majority of people don’t have any impression on native Americans today. They are history. There are actually very few non native Americans who spend a great deal of their lives around and among native Americans, and really don’t care.

You are correct, most of what non native Americans know about native Americans is myth.

My only question is, can I kill one of those buffalo also? Best meat ever.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
quote:
quote:

To know it is just that a myth

I imagine the vast majority of people don’t have any impression on native Americans today. They are history. There are actually very few non native Americans who spend a great deal of their lives around and among native Americans, and really don’t care.

You are correct, most of what non native Americans know about native Americans is myth.

My only question is, can I kill one of those buffalo also? Best meat ever.

The vast majority of American's know crap about happens out side the cities.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote