New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking for a week about posting this but I thought it might be a little bit too personal for some folks. No expansion rates, fps or camo patterns in this post just a story about good friends.

Long story short.

About 26 years ago 5 of us pitched in and bought Chuck a M1 Garand for his graduation from Texas A&M.

Well last weekend 3 of us and Chuck got to hunt together for the first time in about 5 years.
Saturday night I went to the head and when I came back there were 5 Garands in the gun rack.
Chuck called us to order and picked up a M1. "This is the 1 yall gave me and it is time to come full circle." He looked at us and said pick 1 it is yours.
We all about hit the floor. Eeker
After we figured out he hadn’t been in the VO bottle nor had suffered any head trauma we started at the Grands. I did ask Chuck if every thing was ok, ya know like no terminal medical condition etc. He said all was well and that this was something that he wanted to do. Now it is time for the VO bottle and handshakes.

I have known these men for over 30 years. We have shared almost everything from the birth of our kids to the death of our parents. Last weekend helped to remind me of how special good friends are and how little time we all spend together and less of it in the woods.

Oh, we didn't shoot a thing.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great story of friendship, shooting and hunting!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a very awesome story, dick, especially this time of year.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a heart-warming story and serves to remind us how precious good friends truly are.

Thanks for sharing it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats to a fellow former student.... class of '79

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That is awesome

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great friend!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the old saying, "friends come and go but enemies tend to accumulate"...
You are very blessed to have friends such as you describe in your post
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one I'll remember. Thanks for sharing it.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice story, and it goes to show (to me), that a gift from a close friend(s) isn't something to be forgotten over time. Obviously, Chuck didn't forget, and it was a sign of how much that gift his friends meant to *him* all those years ago, and still does.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote