THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Houston International Airport Firearm Clearance

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston International Airport Firearm Clearance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,
I am flying into Houston International early January 2018, and bringing a hunting rifle. Just want to ask if apart from the usual US Customs procedures if there is anything unique to Houston I should be aware of or be prepared for ? I already have my ATF Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens and ESTA. Just wanting to get through with the minimum of delay if possible.

Also, while I have the opportunity, Merry Christmas to all here who have kindly provided advice and suggestions over the last couple of years I have posted questions on AR. I hope I might meet one or two of you at DSC in January.

Cheers
GRANT WILSON

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grant, though I live here, on international trips I ha e always cleared my guns upon arrival back in the states at other airports. But at those airports it hasn't been terribly hard, just a bit time consuming. Just smile at them and "yes sir" and "no sir" them and all should be fine.

And Merry Christmas to you!

Where are you hunting?

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Make sure that you have locks on your case that only you have the key or combination to. (U.S. Federal regulations) not the "TSA Approved" locks.

Be prepared for them to ask you for the key to "inspect" the firearm in the back room, even though technically they are not supposed to have your key. Some of the TSA people are woefully ignorant of the laws so just give it to them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jtex, Fjold,
Thankyou guys. Duly noted.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be prepared for them to ask you for the key to "inspect" the firearm in the back room, even though technically they are not supposed to have your key. Some of the TSA people are woefully ignorant of the laws so just give it to them.

That exact scenario happens to me every time I leave out of IAH! Fries my ass! Each time I politely explain to the TSA trade that they are breaking the law........each time they still do it......

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote