Find
Notify
Tools

Nice La buck.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I've had my camera out for a couple of weeks at one of my stands and have been getting several pics of a real nice 8pt.

Here's a pic from the 1st week:

A couple pics from last week:

I was in high hopes we'd get a closer look at him and as luck would have it Ronnie smoked him Saturday eve. He's got a box blind about 300 yards from my blind on the other side of a creek.

Saturday morn it was very windy and I decided to call it a morn about 9:45 and eased over to Ronnie's box. As I eased into one of his lanes he motioned for me to stop, so I froze(the wind in my face from his location). A little while later I see him start to climb out, so I eased up to him. He said a doe had just ran by with her mouth wide open and he thought a buck was chasing her. We decided to wait a bit and see what happened. Alittle while later a 5pt came by nose on the dirt trailing that doe as well as her yln doe looking for moma. We gave it a while and nothing else was on the trail, so we eased out for some ham and eggs at the local cafe. That evening I heard the 7 Weatherby break the silence and figured Ronnie had scored. He said that same doe came back by and several minutes later the big 8 came out on the trail. The buck caught wind of the Tinks and started sniffing around the scent bomb. Ronnie bumped the side of the stand while getting his rifle out the window and the buck stared right at him. He thought it was over with, but was able to draw a bead and get one through the shoulders before he spooked. The 140 NPT did the job and the buck only made it about 30yards. I knew when we tried loading that rascal on the atv he was going to break 200 with ease. That rascal weighed 200 even field dressed and I'd guesstimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 on the hoof, and absolute toad for La.

The buck green grossed 140-2/8. He had mains over 23", 11" 2s and carried good mass throughout.

Here's a color pic of the 8:

Ronnie is one lucky guy. 6 days prior he tagged a 160-3/8 11pt in Iowa.

I'm in high hopes as I got pics of an even bigger buck this week. Rifle season closed yesterday, but we have a 7 day Mler season that starts the 26th and I intend to sit on them for the entire 7 days. Going to try with archery tackle this weekend as well.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a terrific buck!

Here's hoping an even bigger one cooperates for you since Ronnie added a 2nd whopper to his season total. (With that kid of good fortune, maybe have him pick up a lotto ticket for you... Big Grin)

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah Bobby, I need to get him to pick me up a couple of power ball tickets on his way to camp next time Smiler

He was lucky last year as well. Tagged a nice 8 in TX, 2 big 10s and a monster 9 in La, and a nice 10 in Iowa.

I haven't tagged a nice buck in La in a couple of seasons, but hoping some of the smaller bucks I've passed will show sporting some nice bone.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
That buck looks alot bigger in your buddies hands! Eeker

I guess ill be the first to eat crow.Smiler

Good luck on the bigger one.

Josh

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
No crow Josh. The bucks weight is what will fool ya. I figured he was heavy, but didn't think he would FD 200!

If you think about the weight, that 10 oughta be a monster. I hope I get to find out Smiler

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Trophy Buck. Sure glad it worked out for your buddy. And best of luck to you too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh K.:
That buck looks alot bigger in your buddies hands!

IT SURE DOES!!!! WOW. I am amazed, absolutely amazed out how big that deer looks while dead v. on camera.

When you first posted the original thread, he looked to be, at best, about a 120 class buck. DAMN!

I would have shot that buck too. Judging deer in pictures is not my expertise for sure. I'm pretty good live though.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns