New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou/Goat rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I am going on a caribou hunting, and the area we are in has mountin goats too, so wich rifle should I take, I ruled my 375 H&H out because, its heavy and I feel its a bit much for goat or caribou, so I have my fathers 7mm, 308, or my 358 norma? I was leaning towards the 7mm or 308 because the norma just isnt a long range round, I would feel more comfortable taking a 250-300 yd shot with the 7mm or 308.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lightest one. They will both work fine, with a premium bullet, of course. [Wink]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Mickey1 said.
DP, did you ever figure out the problem with the Garand?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, Hunting season got close and it got shelved, started sighting in the rifles, so I figure I will mess with it over the winter. As for the caribou/goat rifle, I think I'm just going to take my 375 ICL, and say screw it, it weighs a bit more but I'm comfortable with it.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I think the 7mm was born for goats and caribou, and the .308 will be fine too..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goats are tough and you want them to drop at the shot "not stumble off a cliff".Loaded properly the norma will shoot flatter than the 308.Load a 225gr partition or x bullet at 2850fps-2900fps and it will reach 300yds easily.My brother took a goat last year,first shot well paced goat dropped ,then got back up and walked towards the cliff 1 more shot right on the shoulder finished him,338 win 250gr nosler at 2700fps.They will all work goats are hard work don't take the chance of a fall take the norma!

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote