New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotted Dog Acquistion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks is proposing to acquire the Rock Creek Ranch in Powell County, MT. It would add 27.6 K acres to Montana’s Wildlife Management Area inventory and would be open for hunting. The Draft Environmental Assessment is available, and it is a good read for a document of this nature.

I have an isolated 40 acre piece that butts up against the Rock Creek Ranch, and I have mixed feelings about this deal. Nevertheless, I will be writing a letter of support, and I would like to urge you folks to do the same. CP.

http://doj.mt.gov/lands/natura...cespubliccomment.asp

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, what are your mixed feelings?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who owns private land next to public land has a good idea what his mixed feelings are.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The property has an extensive logging and ranch road system, which will require restrictions, maintenance and obliteration to meet the stated objectives of the wildlife management plan. The FW& P acknowledges this issue in their EA. However, public resource agencies are generally long on promises and short on results. If they don’t get a hold of this issue prior to turning the public loose on this ground, it will be a disaster for the elk and many of the adjoining landowners.

There is about 10K acres of State Trust Land checker boarded throughout this ownership that is managed for grazing and timber. I don’t want this deal to change those objectives on the Trust Lands. I have more issues, but I am still supporting this acquisition. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This picture was taken from my ground looking into the east side of the Spotted Dog property. It runs almost to the valley floor and then to the west (picture left) for miles. CP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the deal is done. CP.

http://missoulanews.bigskypres...sers-for-spotted-dog